You decide: Do we move on from Carr this offseason?

RaidersAreOne

Should we move on from Carr this offseason  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move on from Carr this offseason?

• Yes. We know what we have and it's time to move on.
    • No. Give him one more chance.

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Really doesn't matter. That's for Gruden to decide. Carr's not his guy and it's becomes more and more clear each week.

J. Gruden constantly talks about how well DC has performed with all of the changing parts around him.  Why give him any props if they aren't on the same page?  I still don't agree with this take (them not being on the same page).

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny that he can have that kind of a season statistically, but be so polarizing with the fan base. Top 2 in Rating, yards, and completion % all time for the Raiders.  Throw in a 2nd best ypa ( a polarizing stat on here) in basically 30 years. 

What would those numbers have looked like with AB in the fold? Maybe we will find out next year with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs in the spot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, true2form said:

Funny that he can have that kind of a season statistically, but be so polarizing with the fan base. Top 2 in Rating, yards, and completion % all time for the Raiders.  Throw in a 2nd best ypa ( a polarizing stat on here) in basically 30 years. 

What would those numbers have looked like with AB in the fold? Maybe we will find out next year with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs in the spot.

Well according to those who hate DC with a passion, those stats are still meaningless and he is complete garbage.  Perfection is the minimum, and he isn't it.  If he isn't a top 3 QB in the entire league, we must move on and sign a player like T. Bridgewater or R. Fitzpatrick, generational talents who will surely complete 90% of their passes, throw no INTs, and never make another mistake again with our very, very talented roster as it currently stands (so talented).  Why have DC when you could have Winston, 5,000!!! yards with 30 TDS!!! (and 30 INTs).  I'm tired of this talk.  I would say that I look forward to the day we are all on the same page and happy with the team, but there will always be fans who find the negative in everything (10-6 playoff season should've been 16-0, must cut DC!?!?!).

I'm going to read more AB tweets to pass the time.  CTE is pretty crazy stuff to watch.

• Like 2

This mutiny happens every year when the Raiders or another club doesn't do well and we've had a number of years like that.  It's the QB.  Find a new one.  Have we forgotten how well the Raiders were playing during the first half of the season when the NFL had us on the road and a schedule designed for failure.  We moved up in the power rankings at that point.  I don't remember, 12 or 14 depending who was its author. 

"You can find a franchise QB in literally any round based on historical fact."  True, but certainly not every year.  How many busts have we seen?  Go after Alex Smith?  He wouldn't fair any better than Carr under the existing circumstances. 

Carr needs a good supporting cast.  He's not a runner thrower; he's a pocket QB who's not afraid to scramble......a bit.  We have no better options at the moment.  Not a good trade prospect due to his contract but there are teams that would want him.  Gruden did a good job with the Oline and it paid off in spades.  It's important.  Carr needs receivers.  And there's the defense.  I should say what defense.  They couldn't keep us in the game.

We need a new kicker also.  Carlson missed three out of four field goals.  He's gone.  I'm done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

J. Gruden constantly talks about how well DC has performed with all of the changing parts around him.  Why give him any props if they aren't on the same page?  I still don't agree with this take (them not being on the same page).

Gruden gave Mack a lot of props too, until he was gone.

I support Carr. Come at me bro.

He's a good QB and there isn't an upgrade this season from him. We replace carr this off-season, we get worse as a team next year. I'm down for drafting someone and letting him sit a year, two or three years. But if we want to improve in the win column, there isn't any other option to go to the next 5 months at the QB position. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I support Carr. Come at me bro.

He's a good QB and there isn't an upgrade this season from him. We replace carr this off-season, we get worse as a team next year. I'm down for drafting someone and letting him sit a year, two or three years. But if we want to improve in the win column, there isn't any other option to go to the next 5 months at the QB position. 

Carr has lost 55 games in 6 years as a starter. Smart Money would say we could probably find a QB who wins more than him

30 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Carr has lost 55 games in 6 years as a starter. Smart Money would say we could probably find a QB who wins more than him

Wow Carr did all that by himself? Whilst being the best 3rd down QB in the league, 1 of only 4 QBs with over 100 qb rating, hitting 4000+ yards with a small amount of int's..... You know that any other QB is going to do a lot, a lot, less than Carr with his arm and how exactly does that translate to more wins?  Sorry but no other QB is going to out up that stats Carr can. And we can argue till we're blue in the face about stats and wins. But the fact is you can't get more wins with worse stats unless you're on a phenomenal team. 

In the long run I agree. But for next year? No way.

I am happy to go on record that I voted to not move on from Carr. I have already stated that you can find a stat to support any argument (on completion percentage Carr is the second best QB in the league! ;)). - just joking! :)

However, I look on QB rating as one of the best overall calculations of the contribution a QB makes to the team as it factors in all kinds of production, completion %, yards per attempt, td:int etc. It is by no means perfect but a decent indicator. With that in mind we should note that Carr (of any player that has passed at least 100 times) is 8th in QB rating this season - all of which was attained while having a sub-par WR group. I am not saying this makes him definitively the 8th best QB in the league but there has to be something in this.

Compare him to Patrick Mahomes (who is obviously MVP / god of the football field). Their QB ratings are not that far apart, and he has Hill (I hate saying it but he is the best well rounded speedster WR in the league and true #1) and Kelce (just the best receiving TE in the league) with a decent supporting cast of Watkins, Hardman, McCoy etc. I am not demeaning Mahomes who is a talented QB, but how good would his numbers be throwing to our WR corps with gods of the game like Ateman, Doss & Jones...don't forget Gafford, Davis and Grant!

Now, I am not a Carr disciple, he has to produce or we start to look elsewhere, I am just saying that while QB is the most influential position on the field, there is a big difference playing in a star studded offense like KC and one that has "some nice pieces" like ours. If we get a true #1 WR (maybe another reliable WR as well) and Carr is not getting it done then we need to move on, but there has to be some context given to his performances relating to how poor our roster has been around him. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Heart of Oak said:

I am happy to go on record that I voted to not move on from Carr. I have already stated that you can find a stat to support any argument (on completion percentage Carr is the second best QB in the league! ;)). - just joking! :)

However, I look on QB rating as one of the best overall calculations of the contribution a QB makes to the team as it factors in all kinds of production, completion %, yards per attempt, td:int etc. It is by no means perfect but a decent indicator. With that in mind we should note that Carr (of any player that has passed at least 100 times) is 8th in QB rating this season - all of which was attained while having a sub-par WR group. I am not saying this makes him definitively the 8th best QB in the league but there has to be something in this.

Compare him to Patrick Mahomes (who is obviously MVP / god of the football field). Their QB ratings are not that far apart, and he has Hill (I hate saying it but he is the best well rounded speedster WR in the league and true #1) and Kelce (just the best receiving TE in the league) with a decent supporting cast of Watkins, Hardman, McCoy etc. I am not demeaning Mahomes who is a talented QB, but how good would his numbers be throwing to our WR corps with gods of the game like Ateman, Doss & Jones...don't forget Gafford, Davis and Grant!

Now, I am not a Carr disciple, he has to produce or we start to look elsewhere, I am just saying that while QB is the most influential position on the field, there is a big difference playing in a star studded offense like KC and one that has "some nice pieces" like ours. If we get a true #1 WR (maybe another reliable WR as well) and Carr is not getting it done then we need to move on, but there has to be some context given to his performances relating to how poor our roster has been around him. 

It would be nice if the word context meant anything. 

He was playing with 2 backup lineman, no Jacobs, basically no Williams and still put up 400 yards of offense. I agree that he left plays out there and wasn't spectacular by any means, but let's not act like he won't play better in his 3rd year with some serious talent around him. 

• Like 1

I say give him one more year. (Ugh... I just puked a little). Most of the Carr supporters are right about one thing: Finding a worthy replacement will be difficult. I don't fully believe in any QB in the draft not named Burrow (Tua is too injury prone). 

I would be all for replacing him next offseason if he doesn't improve though. At that point, trade the house for Lawrence or Fields. 

Edited by Steins Gate
  • Like 1