Recapping the 2019 Oakland Raiders: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

RaidersAreOne

What do you think about the Raiders season? I'll add more in a bit but here are some initial thoughts of mine.

Good:

• We were fighting for the playoffs until the last game
  • Our rookie class was awesome. We got over 8+ starters in one single draft class (Ferrell, Crosby, Mullen, Abram (?), Jacobs, Ingold, Renfrow and Cole).
  • We didn't finish with double digit losses.
  • We overcame one of the worst schedules in NFL history.
  • We have an elite TE corp, headed by a top 3 receiving threat in Waller.
  • We get to use a shiny brand new home the next time we suit up.
  • Our team played hard for Gruden.
  • I trust Mayock to continue to build a strong roster.

Bad:

• The inconsistency of our passing game.
  • Our team not having any killer instinct. Every win we had, we had to make it interesting and struggled to bury teams.
  • Having to rely on rookies so hard.
  • Carlson was a major disappointment this season.
  • Being incredibly undisciplined again and nearing the tops of the league in penalties for the 1000th time.
  • The Burfict suspension. 

Ugly:

• Everything AB. That really started the season on the wrong foot.
  • Having to do Hard Knocks.
  • NFL Refs absolutely suck.
  • Mark Davis is just ugly.
  • Choking multiple games away which would have given us a playoff spot.
  • Not sending Oakland out with a W.
  • Gruden sucks at challenges.
Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 6

Pretty much covers it. Consistency for 60 minutes was rare for us, let alone the stomp your opponent into the ground. 

2020 looks good as we have cap and draft capital. Mayock understands his role in getting the pieces for Gruden so I'm not worried about Bruce Allen joining us Tuesday. LOL

• Like 1

Such a strange all around year in all honesty. Hard Knocks, the AB drama, absurd schedule, injuries, looking awful at times, horrible point differential, the against Jacksonville. -106 point differential, but also conceivably could have won 10 games (hou+jax+today). All things considered, 7-9 seems about right.

Have another good draft, get guys healthy, sign a couple productive free agents, and moving into the new stadium gives us a lot to be excited about for next season imo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

How much weight do you put in his 2014 and 2018 seasons? Rookie year with a horrid roster and then last season we had nothing.

2014 (3-13)

2015 (7-9)

2016 (12-4)

2017 (6-10)

2018 (4-12)

2019 (7-9)

Qb winz is the stupidest argument. You're right, 14 and 18 were some of the worst rosters I can imagine in recent memory. This team looks like a contender compared to 2014. 2018 was not quite as bad, but close.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

27 points scored all season in the 3rd quarter. As ugly as it gets. Completely utterly inept in the 3rd quarter all season. That lead taking a lot of L's and missing the playoffs.

What’s nuts is how many times the Raiders started with the ball in the second half. They usually had a shot to score in the third but obviously they couldn’t because teams adjusted to them. 

11 hours ago, Justwinning said:

How much weight do you put in his 2014 and 2018 seasons? Rookie year with a horrid roster and then last season we had nothing.

2014 (3-13)

2015 (7-9)

2016 (12-4)

2017 (6-10)

2018 (4-12)

2019 (7-9)

I was going to bring this up too, but thought I'd let it go.  Both years were absolutely terrible rosters, 0-10 start his rookie year and the tear down that was last year.  That's 25 of 57 losses in those years.  Would have been more without him in both of the seasons would be my take. 32-32 in the other four seasons is average of course, but is an overall reflection of what we all know of Carr.  When the talent around him is better, so is the team's record.  Weird how that works, keep improving the team and I bet we'll win more games.

Edited by true2form
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

27 points scored all season in the 3rd quarter. As ugly as it gets. Completely utterly inept in the 3rd quarter all season. That lead taking a lot of L's and missing the playoffs.

An astoundingly bad stat. The Chiefs scored more than that in one quarter against us in Oakland. Made even worse by the fact we seem to start 75%+ of 2nd halves with the ball due to our deferring policy.

The OP is bang on with most things. A decent season all in; could have been better, could have been worse. We’ve got cap room, picks and a decent foundation to build on. Carr is the big decision to make, and I’m still kinda iffy on Gruden.

Carlson can go any time as well. Dude is a bum and will cost us games.