• Other (please share!)
  3. 3. Why do you work out?

• Get in shape/Stay in shape
    • Stress Relief
    • Fun/Hobby
    • Asthetics
    • Sport/Activity training
    • Yoga Pants
    • Health benefits (diabetes management, joint recovery, etc)

(Full disclosure - I chose this as a PotD to mainly test out the multiple question format of this forum. This forum is AWESOME!)

I know we have a workout thread just a few spots down, but wanted to get into this via the PotD. So, do you work out?

I've recently got back into it - I typically go to a Big Box Gym (LA Fitness) and started up in an outdoor Boot Camp every M/W/F. It started as an ambiguous "get in shape" mindset, but I started to notice the inches off my waist and my knees started to feel better and o wasn't as stressed out about stuff...so now I'm sticking with everything to see if I can continue this improvement on all fronts.

What about you?

I'm skipping this poll because I've always historically been a religious gym-goer, but as of the past couple months I've been too busy with trips and work.  The motivation lately to get myself back has been dipping, so I would have to lean "Nope!" on that answer.  Gotta start getting to it again.

Just now, texans_uk said:

Been running (not sure if that counts as a "workout") since the end of May. 

I've trimmed down by almost 5kg. And I've knocked 1:00/km off my pace. Feel great and my 32" trousers (pants) are falling off me. 

Outdoor running is working out in my book!

I have a set of dumbbells I occasionally use.  I haven't used it in the last week and a half.  I commonly go walking in a park/woodland trail.  Usually it's a 3-6 mi walk.  It started out as an attempt to lose weight, but I've already accomplished that goal (158 lbs as of yesterday, I was 240 lbs two or three years ago and 280 lbs seven years ago).  Now I do it because one thing my favorite movie (you can tell what it is by my signature) did for me is instill an appreciation for the aesthetics of nature.  I enjoy the sight of foliage and I go walking in a park and on a trail where I am surrounded by it. 

14 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Been running (not sure if that counts as a "workout") since the end of May. 

I've trimmed down by almost 5kg. And I've knocked 1:00/km off my pace. Feel great and my 32" trousers (pants) are falling off me. 

WTF is this nonsense?

9 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I just took my first BJJ class last night and that was awesome. It'll probably replace my Lifetime membership here coming up. Getting sick of traditional lifting.

My best friend has been taking BJJ classes for about three or so months, swears by 'em. It was between that and the boot camp for me, and the boot camp had a promotion for $9 for the month of September...so that made it an easy choice for me.

5 minutes ago, Crickett said:

It started out as an attempt to lose weight, but I've already accomplished that goal (158 lbs as of yesterday, I was 240 lbs two or three years ago and 280 lbs seven years ago).

Holy cow man - that is GREAT!

10 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

My best friend has been taking BJJ classes for about three or so months, swears by 'em. It was between that and the boot camp for me, and the boot camp had a promotion for $9 for the month of September...so that made it an easy choice for me.

I had a great time. I imagine 3 months in when you have a tiny clue what you're doing it's that much more fun for him. I'm probably going to sign up for a six month session here after my free month trial ends which is like $840. I'm sure once that $9 promotion ends if you look around you can find a bunch of gyms who will give you a free month for BJJ or Muy Thai. It gets expensive after that but the free month would be totally worth it. Everyone in my class last night was really supportive too.

I was going to the gym a couple times a week for a while... About three years ago. I would just ran a few miles on the treadmill. It was hard to get the drive to wanna even do it. Since I stopped going, I have absolutely no drive to start going again. I should. I could stand to lose a few pounds.

Archived