Picking #3

Superduperman

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I absolutely agree with that. The offer would have to be really, really good.

We've all talked about it as well - Quinn and Patricia are coaching for their livelihood. They won't close the door on getting future picks but they're not going to be focused on adding to the war chest for the next GM. They're not looking to add mediocre players who won't be immediate impact guys that can help lead to W's. They also can't sell out completely and abandon any future planning because they have to assume they're going to be successful and be here in 2021, 2022, etc. 

47 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We've all talked about it as well - Quinn and Patricia are coaching for their livelihood. They won't close the door on getting future picks but they're not going to be focused on adding to the war chest for the next GM. They're not looking to add mediocre players who won't be immediate impact guys that can help lead to W's. They also can't sell out completely and abandon any future planning because they have to assume they're going to be successful and be here in 2021, 2022, etc. 

I hope you're right about the bolded.

17 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think I'd be upset even in that scenario. 

Me too. I think Young is a serious prospect, but the more I am researching, the more I am finding very real defensive prospects in this draft. I think by the time the draft rolls around, the difference in talent level between Young and the next 4 defensive players will not be that significant to the point where we need to trade up. 

Okudah

Brown

Simmons

Espensa

I think all 4 will be right there in the end.

Edited by BarryTheBest

13 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Me too. I think Young is a serious prospect, but the more I am researching, the more I am finding very real defensive prospects in this draft. I think by the time the draft rolls around, the difference in talent level between Young and the next 4 defensive players will not be that significant to the point where we need to trade up. 

Okudah

Brown

Simmons

Espensa

I think all 4 will be right there in the end.

I think that Young is going to be in the area of a guy like the Bosa's, JJ Watt, etc. and spoken about as one of the best guys in the league. To your point, if we are trading down we are likely going to wind up with another really good player like Okudah, Brown or Simmons + have another shot at another really good player with some of these extra picks. I'm expecting that the Dolphins are the only real player to take Tua in that spot with all of the ammo that they have. As long as he can work out and looks healthy, they'll likely make the move up IMO. 

• Like 2

(Boring wall of text incoming. If you dislike Madden, feel free to skip this over.)

I wanted to mention this somewhere but didn't want to start a new thread.

I was messing around with the Lions' offseason in a 'realistic' Madden sim (rosters and draft prospects updated). Instead of playing games, I was considering watching the 2020 season CPU vs. CPU, trying to build the Lions into a winning franchise. (It makes it much more difficult to sim, in my opinion... when I play, I can use lesser players with certain attributes to be successful. The CPU doesn't function that way. Rating is king.)

I made a few offers in free agency, although none of the players signed. When it came to the draft, I decided to explore trade down options. (Burrow went 1st and Young went 2nd.) I decided to try something new and offered the 3rd overall pick for the 14th overall pick, 20th overall pick and a future 1st round pick. The team accepted. I was hoping that a good defensive player would've fallen to the mid 1st, but none did. Instead, one of the "Early 1st Round" LTs was available. I decided to grab that player with the intention of shifting Decker to RT. (The LT has star development, which is great.) With the 20th overall pick, a great LB with elite speed and a mid 1st round grade was still available. Although not necessarily a pressing need, both Davis (75, normal dev) and Tavai (74, normal dev) are underwhelming (from a Madden perspective). I grabbed the LB to shift to OLB until I had a better option out there. (Quick development.)

In the early 2nd round, Tee Higgins, a 1st round WR prospect, was still available, and vastly better than any defensive prospects. Jones is already declining (79 overall), which will only continue as the years move forward. I grabbed Higgins (Star development, I believe), then, somehow, at the top of the 3rd, Mekhi Becton was still there. Wanting to fill a need at OG ("power" style), I grabbed him to shift him inside. At the top of the 4th, and for some unknown reason, Justin Herbert had not yet been drafted, despite his "Early 1st Round" evaluation. Yeah, I took him too.

Five draft picks. Four went to the offensive side of the ball, not by design. I used the rest of the draft to add various defensive players, even landing an athletic safety with quick development in the 6th round.

Although I was disappointed that more pieces weren't added to the defensive side of the ball, the board fell in a way that the best value happened to be on offense. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

10 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

(Boring wall of text incoming. If you dislike Madden, feel free to skip this over.)

I wanted to mention this somewhere but didn't want to start a new thread.

I was messing around with the Lions' offseason in a 'realistic' Madden sim (rosters and draft prospects updated). Instead of playing games, I was considering watching the 2020 season CPU vs. CPU, trying to build the Lions into a winning franchise. (It makes it much more difficult to sim, in my opinion... when I play, I can use lesser players with certain attributes to be successful. The CPU doesn't function that way. Rating is king.)

I made a few offers in free agency, although none of the players signed. When it came to the draft, I decided to explore trade down options. (Burrow went 1st and Young went 2nd.) I decided to try something new and offered the 3rd overall pick for the 14th overall pick, 20th overall pick and a future 1st round pick. The team accepted. I was hoping that a good defensive player would've fallen to the mid 1st, but none did. Instead, one of the "Early 1st Round" LTs was available. I decided to grab that player with the intention of shifting Decker to RT. (The LT has star development, which is great.) With the 20th overall pick, a great LB with elite speed and a mid 1st round grade was still available. Although not necessarily a pressing need, both Davis (75, normal dev) and Tavai (74, normal dev) are underwhelming (from a Madden perspective). I grabbed the LB to shift to OLB until I had a better option out there. (Quick development.)

In the early 2nd round, Tee Higgins, a 1st round WR prospect, was still available, and vastly better than any defensive prospects. Jones is already declining (79 overall), which will only continue as the years move forward. I grabbed Higgins (Star development, I believe), then, somehow, at the top of the 3rd, Mekhi Becton was still there. Wanting to fill a need at OG ("power" style), I grabbed him to shift him inside. At the top of the 4th, and for some unknown reason, Justin Herbert had not yet been drafted, despite his "Early 1st Round" evaluation. Yeah, I took him too.

Five draft picks. Four went to the offensive side of the ball, not by design. I used the rest of the draft to add various defensive players, even landing an athletic safety with quick development in the 6th round.

Although I was disappointed that more pieces weren't added to the defensive side of the ball, the board fell in a way that the best value happened to be on offense. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

This is definitely a risk of trading down, but one I'd be willing to take.  Having an extra 1st next year along with a top OT (or two of them with Becton) and WR would be nice.  I think the D would struggle to maintain however this mock would have them on the sidelines more hopefully.  I am all about value so it makes sense.  But I would definitely want to see some defense added via free agency.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This is definitely a risk of trading down, but one I'd be willing to take.  Having an extra 1st next year along with a top OT (or two of them with Becton) and WR would be nice.  I think the D would struggle to maintain however this mock would have them on the sidelines more hopefully.  I am all about value so it makes sense.  But I would definitely want to see some defense added via free agency.  

Yeah, definitely. I tried to add a good CB and starting DE in free agency, and both turned down my offer. I tried to sign a decent C for depth and he said no. It wasn't ideal.

Marvin Jones, Damon Harrison and Devon Kennard each got hurt week 1, each are out for 7-9 weeks. We managed to win (on a 4th and goal from the 5 TD throw with 5 seconds left). The DTs are really struggling now, and I had to add a FA to the mix, but the Higgins and LB draft picks were huge.

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Wow. I'm starting to think that watching the Lions play in Madden is just as frustrating as watching them play in real life.

This is the life that we have chosen. There is no escape - whether in reality or in virtual reality. It's like the Matrix is playing a cruel game with us and trying to see how far they can push you until you hit that breaking point. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, Karnage84 said:

They also can't sell out completely and abandon any future planning because they have to assume they're going to be successful and be here in 2021, 2022, etc. 

I believe most franchises you have to get ownership to sign off on giving up future draft picks.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:20 PM, Karnage84 said:

Me too. Me too. 

I'm not opposed to trading the 2021 1st if that adds Chase Young to our roster but that's really the only circumstance I could get behind. 

That's an interesting take, because you could potentially be walking yourself out of your QBOTF (i.e. Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields) next year.  Is Chase Young worth that?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's an interesting take, because you could potentially be walking yourself out of your QBOTF (i.e. Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields) next year.  Is Chase Young worth that?

Stafford is what, 31 years old? Let's say that he has another 5 solid years. Young is a blue chip, top level prospect at one of the premier positions in the entire game. He could potentially be a major part in the team making the playoffs next year if he's on the roster. If that's the case, we aren't even in the mix for Lawrence or Fields anyway. 

The Packers were exposed and were never the team their record showed; the Vikings have some flaws and the Bears are likely going to be looking for a new QB in 2021 themselves. The Lions have a lot of work to do but this isn't a division like the AFC East has been or what the AFC West is looking like with the Chiefs as a powerhouse for a long time. 

42 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Stafford is what, 31 years old? Let's say that he has another 5 solid years. Young is a blue chip, top level prospect at one of the premier positions in the entire game. He could potentially be a major part in the team making the playoffs next year if he's on the roster. If that's the case, we aren't even in the mix for Lawrence or Fields anyway. 

The Packers were exposed and were never the team their record showed; the Vikings have some flaws and the Bears are likely going to be looking for a new QB in 2021 themselves. The Lions have a lot of work to do but this isn't a division like the AFC East has been or what the AFC West is looking like with the Chiefs as a powerhouse for a long time. 

Agreed.  Bosa is more important to SF than Jimmy G.  And although I am not high on this team, I dont think we are top 5 material with Stafford playing.  If Stafford turns out to be more serious (back issues in back to back years scares me), then I might reconsider and just take Tua this year.