Picking #3

Superduperman

It looks like Ron Rivera is going to be the HC in Washington. This might help bring some clarity to the situation. 

If Tua starts to look like he might bounce back from this injury, it wouldn't shock me to see the Dolphins trade up to either #2 or #3. I could also see us trade up with Washington to grab Young. We'd be moving one spot, so the draft capital shouldn't be astronomical. I'm interested to see if there's anything from this past draft about the Panthers feelings on Haskins. Precedent has been set by the Cardinals that it's not insane to pick two QB's in the first round back to back with a new coaching staff. Trent Williams is also a huge factor in what they do. Bruce Allen is gone so they could be making other sweeping moves that help to repair that relationship. If he still wants out and they like Haskins, there's a significantly bigger need at LT than pass-rusher. If they can get a bunch of draft capital for that spot, it could be a quick rebuild in a wide open division. 

Young is going 2 to Washington, don't entertain other scenarios in your head. Its a waste of time and energy I promise. 

Lions will go Brown or Okudah. They have to get a defender. Option 3 is trade down IMO, which is ideal by far. Brown and Okudah both work for me though. Not everyone will like the position value on Brown, but I truly believe he is the Quentin Nelson of DT prospects, and when you add in the system we play, he's an easy trigger pull for me. Keep in mind the Patriots have drafted 5 first round DTs under Belichick  and co. Okudah is an easy projection of course, given their desire to man up on WRs. If they extend Slay and believe in Amani, we may have to look at the options again though. Trading SLay for a haul and drafting Okudah works too. Sign a Jimmy SMith to a 1-2 year deal to ease the young CBs in would be fine too, as a Slay trade also saves 10 mil cap. 

WIld card is Epenesa. He's a Bob Quinn wet dream for sure. As of today, I don't believe they would consider him at 3, but he did dominate his bowl game and his athletic testing will be huge. Remember he said he wanted an Iowa pipeline. He's multiple on D, high character, fits a need, offers value etc. I believe he would be the top target after Brown if we trade back to a QB needy team like Miami at 6 or the like 

17 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Young is going 2 to Washington, don't entertain other scenarios in your head. Its a waste of time and energy I promise. 

Lions will go Brown or Okudah. They have to get a defender. Option 3 is trade down IMO, which is ideal by far. Brown and Okudah both work for me though. Not everyone will like the position value on Brown, but I truly believe he is the Quentin Nelson of DT prospects, and when you add in the system we play, he's an easy trigger pull for me. Keep in mind the Patriots have drafted 5 first round DTs under Belichick  and co. Okudah is an easy projection of course, given their desire to man up on WRs. If they extend Slay and believe in Amani, we may have to look at the options again though. Trading SLay for a haul and drafting Okudah works too. Sign a Jimmy SMith to a 1-2 year deal to ease the young CBs in would be fine too, as a Slay trade also saves 10 mil cap. 

WIld card is Epenesa. He's a Bob Quinn wet dream for sure. As of today, I don't believe they would consider him at 3, but he did dominate his bowl game and his athletic testing will be huge. Remember he said he wanted an Iowa pipeline. He's multiple on D, high character, fits a need, offers value etc. I believe he would be the top target after Brown if we trade back to a QB needy team like Miami at 6 or the like 

If Young is off the board (and we don't trade up to #2) then a trade down + Brown, Okudah, Epenesa would make a ton of sense. 

The Dolphins, Chargers and Panthers all have a need at QB sitting inside of the top 10. Oakland and Indy are also teams that could be in the mix. It's not a very strong QB class but a couple guys could push their way up to relevancy like a Mitch Trubisky. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I love me some Isaiah Simmons. Any thoughts on when he'd be good value?

He could be a great player but the team seems pretty hard and fast on what they want in a LB. 240 lbs + and ideally around 250. 

Simmons is 230 lbs. He's likely going to wind up with Seattle in the Kam Chancellor role and have a HOF career. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He could be a great player but the team seems pretty hard and fast on what they want in a LB. 240 lbs + and ideally around 250. 

Simmons is 230 lbs. He's likely going to wind up with Seattle in the Kam Chancellor role and have a HOF career. 

Here's hoping Patricia opens his mind and gets with the times

2 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

Here's hoping Patricia opens his mind and gets with the times

What is kind of interesting is that the Lions are a team that wants to a) run the ball and b) stop the run with a solid defense. 

While the perception is that we're in a passing league, a large number of the teams currently in the playoffs are there with a strong rushing attack with a solid defense. 

Bills, Titans, Ravens, 49ers and Vikings all went with this philosophy and were able to execute successfully. Clearly things didn't go so well for the Lions but maybe the ball control scheme they want to run isn't so antiquated. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What is kind of interesting is that the Lions are a team that wants to a) run the ball and b) stop the run with a solid defense. 

While the perception is that we're in a passing league, a large number of the teams currently in the playoffs are there with a strong rushing attack with a solid defense. 

Bills, Titans, Ravens, 49ers and Vikings all went with this philosophy and were able to execute successfully. Clearly things didn't go so well for the Lions but maybe the ball control scheme they want to run isn't so antiquated. 

The offense wasn't a problem this year. You can't control the clock with a **** defense. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

The offense wasn't a problem this year. You can't control the clock with a **** defense. 

Agreed, 1000%. 

I'm just talking about the criticism that the Lions did get from talking heads regarding the philosophies that they want to run. That it's a passing league, teams that focus on the run are ineffective,etc. Yes, the Lions were clearly ineffective themselves but teams like the Ravens and Titans are showing that a power running team can win games with the right pieces in place. Given that this is a copycat league, we're going to see more teams try to run the ball and throw a ton of their picks at the defense to build that up. 

7 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I actually don't mind trading down if young isn't there. were more then 1 player away so stock pile picks. a few weeks ago I saw on twitter that outraged ppl. it was lions and Dolphins make a trade we dropped to 5 and got pick 39.  I wouldn't be upset with that.

Who are the Dolphins trading up for?  I believe the last time we saw a team trade into the top 5 for a non-QB it was in 2014 when Buffalo moved to up to select Sammy Watkins.  Prior to that you had the Dolphins with Dion Jordan in 2013.  Teams are reluctant to move up into the top 5 for non-QBs, and teams who are willing to move down want an arm and a leg to do so, which makes trades hard to come by.  Unless Miami is going up for Tua, I don't see any reason why Miami would move up.  And even if they wanted Tua, I think they're content seeing if he falls to them anyways.

19 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Too many high quality QBs in this draft for anyone to trade up. Burrow, Tua,  and Herbert are all going high. Fromm, Eason, Hurts, etc all have a chance to be pretty good QBs too. There really isn't any reason to trade up or reach for QBs in this draft. There are plenty.

Washington should probably draft Tua for their own sake, but they probably won't.

Bleh

Yeah, there is a major difference between guys like Burrow and Tua and the rest of those guys. There are two franchise QB's in this draft and a bunch of other guys you hope you get lucky on! 

53 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Yeah, there is a major difference between guys like Burrow and Tua and the rest of those guys. There are two franchise QB's in this draft and a bunch of other guys you hope you get lucky on! 

I put Herbert in there as well. Three QBs going top 10, 4+ others that'll go on day 1 or 2.

18 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I put Herbert in there as well. Three QBs going top 10, 4+ others that'll go on day 1 or 2.

IMO, Herbert may go top 10 but he's not in their league! Whoever drafts him top 10 is reaching. Then again, QB's get over drafted every year.

Tua, with his hip probably doesn't rate top 10 until he gets complete medical clearance. Also, he's putting out cryptic messages like he may go back to school. Might not fare any better next year either. He's not as good as the kid from Clemson and I haven't seen enough of the kid from Ohio State to decide. I don't know if Fields has the arm talent of the other two. 

Edited by Golfman