Picking #3

Superduperman

On 1/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think I've convinced myself that there are only three 'idea' outcomes for this team moving forward. (In this order.)

1. Trade Up to Pick #2 - Draft Chase Young

As it stands, the difference between the 2nd overall pick and 3rd overall pick is 400ish points, or a mid-2nd round pick. The Redskins would (obviously) demand more, and I'd be willing to give more: even including our 2021 1st round pick. Yes, that much more, and it might just take that to get the Redskins to answer the phone. Some may balk at the thought of giving that much for one player, but Chase Young isn't just a prospect... many believe he's a generational talent, and is one player that's worth it. Scouts have claimed that he's even better than Nick Bosa as a prospect, and we saw the impact Bosa had for the 49ers this year. Landing a player as rare as Young and pairing him with Flowers could single-handedly elevate this defense from below average to great, and help us get the most out of our young secondary.

2. Offer Tua to the Highest Bidder - Move Down and Draft Okudah, Brown or Simmons

This is self-explanatory, and something most of us have advocated for since the draft discussions have began. Adding pick value and still landing one of these three is a win-win scenario.

3. If We Stay at 3 - Draft Tua (assuming the medical checks out)

It's not a move that fans will love now, but it could very well elevate this team from mediocre-at-best to perennial contender for the next 8+ years. That's what true franchise quarterbacks can do, and many believe that Tua is that type of player. He'll need time to get fully healthy (and time never hurts a young QB), which is perfect, as Stafford will have an opportunity to show him the NFL ropes during his first year. Stafford will turn 32 before the start of the 2020 season and his reoccurring back injuries could potentially cut his career short. The medical eval here is key: if it doesn't check out, he should be avoided. If it does, though, this is a move that could set this franchise on the right track for the foreseeable future.

I think the fourth option is if Washington trades down with a QB needy team and they take Tua, we then sit at 3 and get Chase Young.  Thats actually the scenario I am hoping for most, with a trade down second most, then drafting Tua, then trading up for Chase Young.  I am really not a fan of giving what it would take to move up one spot for Young.  Giving away future valuable assets is hard for me to do given I am not as high on the team as a whole as you are.  If it were like basketball and we could protect next years first if it were a top 15 pick, then maybe, but I am not giving away two top 10 picks for Young, and quite frankly I think it will end up being that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the fourth option is if Washington trades down with a QB needy team and they take Tua, we then sit at 3 and get Chase Young.  Thats actually the scenario I am hoping for most, with a trade down second most, then drafting Tua, then trading up for Chase Young.  I am really not a fan of giving what it would take to move up one spot for Young.  Giving away future valuable assets is hard for me to do given I am not as high on the team as a whole as you are.  If it were like basketball and we could protect next years first if it were a top 15 pick, then maybe, but I am not giving away two top 10 picks for Young, and quite frankly I think it will end up being that. 

I'm actually with you on this scenario Sliim. A trade up for Tua to #2 from one of the QB needy teams would really be best case scenario for us. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Young falling to #3 would be best-case scenario, and that would be incredible, but I don't see any possibility of that happening and didn't list it as a result.

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Young falling to #3 would be best-case scenario, and that would be incredible, but I don't see any possibility of that happening and didn't list it as a result.

I have read articles how the rumblings at the senior bowl is that Washington could launch their team in a faster trajectory if they trade the pick.  I know its hard to pass on Young but they would be getting better offers for 2 than we would at 3 and it could be hard to turn down a top 5/6 pick this year plus maybe two more 1sts or a multitude of 2nd and 3rds.  Young is a huge piece to add but they are further away than we are to compete and could probably use more picks.  So while it is not likely, it wasn't likely Suh would make it to us at 2 either and that happened.  So i wouldn't be shocked.  (Side note, I think Young would have the same impact on Washington that Suh did us, which means being middle of the road and hard to get better or be worse). 

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have read articles how the rumblings at the senior bowl is that Washington could launch their team in a faster trajectory if they trade the pick.  I know its hard to pass on Young but they would be getting better offers for 2 than we would at 3 and it could be hard to turn down a top 5/6 pick this year plus maybe two more 1sts or a multitude of 2nd and 3rds.  Young is a huge piece to add but they are further away than we are to compete and could probably use more picks.  So while it is not likely, it wasn't likely Suh would make it to us at 2 either and that happened.  So i wouldn't be shocked.  (Side note, I think Young would have the same impact on Washington that Suh did us, which means being middle of the road and hard to get better or be worse). 

Interesting. Yeah, that would be amazing.

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The salary cap impact was different at that time than it is now. We had those super high picks with Calvin, Stafford and Suh's contracts all on the books before the rookie wage scale came into effect. Adding an impact player like Young without the same handicap would be a better scenario. 

Someone was talking about a scenario where Washington falls in love with Tua over Haskins as being another possible situation where Young falls. They could trade Haskins for some compensation and try to rebuild with an arguably better QB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If the offers for 2 are better, its probably for a QB.

The Lions should make everyone think they're considering a QB.

Interesting statement from Slay.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/01/lions-darius-slay-has-already-begun-texting-with-ohio-state-star-jeff-okudah.html

Apparently, he's already contacting Okudah, and has stated that he'd love to play with him. It appears that drafting Okudah (and offering Slay a nice contract) may fully repair the relationship with Slay, which would be a pretty great outcome.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Interesting statement from Slay.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/01/lions-darius-slay-has-already-begun-texting-with-ohio-state-star-jeff-okudah.html

Apparently, he's already contacting Okudah, and has stated that he'd love to play with him. It appears that drafting Okudah (and offering Slay a nice contract) may fully repair the relationship with Slay, which would be a pretty great outcome.

On 184 snaps of press coverage, Okudah never allowed a completion of longer than 12 yards at Ohio State. On 400 coverage snaps overall, just six resulted in a completion of 15 yards.

O.o

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

My top 3 scenarios for the draft-

1. Chase Young falls to #3.

2. Trade down to the #5-7 range and grab one of Okudah/Simmons/Brown.

3. Stay at #3 and draft Okudah to pair with Slay.

Seriously, any one of the four improves us greatly.

Yeah, this is where I'm at now.

If Tua is cleared medically, and the organization believes that he's a franchise QB, it's hard for me to ignore his potential impact for this team. I have concerns with Stafford's age and back, and it's rare to be in a position to land such a prospect.

It's a difficult decision.