Picking #3

Superduperman

On 1/31/2020 at 6:20 PM, Louis Friend said:

I'm not high on Tua. I would not take him top 5

I can't imagine how you could say that.

Career 69% completions. 87 TD's, 11 picks. Came in at halftime of a national championship game, as a freshman, with his team down 13-0, and won it.

And you can say "sure, but he had Alabama's team around him," but before he was there, Alabama was practically an option team that didn't have a dynamic passing attack.

If there was no question at all about his health, he'd go before Burrow, not a doubt in the world. He's still got a chance to go #1 is you ask me.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 7:14 AM, LionArkie said:

If Tua shows to be a franchis qb and Quinn takes him at 3, love him or hate him, it shows Quinn has some stones with the current Lions mandate.

So, I have had an interesting thought on us taking Tua. I am not advocating for the below scenario, but what if?

- The Lions trade Stafford for a 1st and 3rd (or whatever picks you think would make it work)

- Lions sign Marcus Mariota to a 2-3 year contract (or a vet of your choice)

- Lions take Tua at 3

- Lions focus on D and OL the rest of the draft

Now I am no cap expert, and this might not even work financially, but could it?

Marcus has talent and I believe we could win games with him under center and Bevell calling the shots on O. I think he just needs a change and a better person calling plays. 

Thoughts?

Edited by BarryTheBest
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

So, I have had an interesting thought on us taking Tua. I am not advocating for the below scenario, but what if?

- The Lions trade Stafford for a 1st and 3rd (or whatever picks you think would make it work)

- Lions sign Marcus Mariota to a 2-3 year contract (or a vet of your choice)

- Lions take Tua at 3

- Lions focus on D and OL the rest of the draft

Now I am no cap expert, and this might not even work financially, but could it?

Marcus has talent and I believe we could win games with him under center and Bevell calling the shots on O. I think he just needs a change and a better person calling plays. 

Thoughts?

I had been thinking about Mariota as a back up option, with or without Stafford. With Stafford's health questions he could be a viable back up for us that offers some things the other guys don't. For him, he gets to develop under the tutelage of Stafford and Bevell. While he probably would want a place that offers a better opportunity for a starting role, it actually isn't out of the realm that he could wind up with real games under his belt. 

I don't think Mariota is good either, but it did say vet of your choice.  I think in this scenario, no matter the qb, building a D and OL you want someone to manage the game at qb and not someone you need to rely on.  In this scenario, I think a mobile qb allows you to win in the clutch if you have to rely on your qb to win the game for you.  For me, I would have to get a 1st for Stafford, but is he worth a 1st to other teams? A broken back two years in a row with very little playoff experience and 31 years old.  If I were a team, I wouldn't give up a 1st for him with these red flags.

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Marriota failed in a place that made Tannehill look like a good QB.  I am not sold on him struggling because he had bad coaches.  I think he just isnt that good.  I would say if we draft Tua, I want him to play if he is healthy.  

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I don't think Mariota is good either, but it did say vet of your choice.  I think in this scenario, no matter the qb, building a D and OL you want someone to manage the game at qb and not someone you need to rely on.  In this scenario, I think a mobile qb allows you to win in the clutch if you have to rely on your qb to win the game for you.  For me, I would have to get a 1st for Stafford, but is he worth a 1st to other teams? A broken back two years in a row with very little playoff experience and 31 years old.  If I were a team, I wouldn't give up a 1st for him with these red flags.

Mariota has had flashes of success. There are tools to work with. He's going to be inexpensive because he's a guy trying to prove he's not the player that was just replaced by Tannehill. He has won games in the league before and he has been a starting QB on a playoff team. Mariota offers more potential than a guy like Driscoll does and he could be our reclamation project like Tannehill was in Tennessee. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Mariota has had flashes of success. There are tools to work with. He's going to be inexpensive because he's a guy trying to prove he's not the player that was just replaced by Tannehill. He has won games in the league before and he has been a starting QB on a playoff team. Mariota offers more potential than a guy like Driscoll does and he could be our reclamation project like Tannehill was in Tennessee. 

Well said. 

I feel about 90% that we will pull a trade down to 5 and just take Okudah and keep it simple. He's arguably the most valuable non QB in the draft analytically and he's everything a Quinn pick usually is with how projectable he is and being a Big10 guy etc. Landing him at 5 while getting extra picks for the move down would be a monster win. I hope we land similar value to the Jets/Colts package of a few years ago. 

• Like 4

Just now, Nastradamus said:

I feel about 90% that we will pull a trade down to 5 and just take Okudah and keep it simple. He's arguably the most valuable non QB in the draft analytically and he's everything a Quinn pick usually is with how projectable he is and being a Big10 guy etc. Landing him at 5 while getting extra picks for the move down would be a monster win. I hope we land similar value to the Jets/Colts package of a few years ago. 

I think the backup plan is probably Brown/Kinlaw/Epenesa if we are to move down below Miami because someone offers too good of a package and we move out of Okudah range. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nastradamus said:

I think the backup plan is probably Brown/Kinlaw/Epenesa if we are to move down below Miami because someone offers too good of a package and we move out of Okudah range. 

The MTS podcast references Dave Gettleman and his draft history. He appears to be a "build from the trenches" guy and they have a young QB they need to protect. If we do move down to 5 we might not miss out on Okudah if the Giants decide to go OT. They could also trade down for a team like the Chargers who might want to jump up to get a QB and secure that pick over Carolina. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

The MTS podcast references Dave Gettleman and his draft history. He appears to be a "build from the trenches" guy and they have a young QB they need to protect. If we do move down to 5 we might not miss out on Okudah if the Giants decide to go OT. They could also trade down for a team like the Chargers who might want to jump up to get a QB and secure that pick over Carolina. 

Yup, Giants are a lock to go OT IMO. We have to go to 6 or lower to miss on Okudah IMO

7 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup, Giants are a lock to go OT IMO. We have to go to 6 or lower to miss on Okudah IMO

I disagree with callin git a lock.  If Okudah runs a 4.25 and tests well in other categories, he can be the pick.  They don't draft on need if the value is that high.  We need to have one of the OTs work his way into being a top 4 pick value wise before I'd call it a lock.  Also if Okudah does that well it may make it hard to move down to risk losing him but I'd still want to. 

If we do move down further though, I am ok with Brown/Kinlaw in the 6-10 range.  If it nets us enough picks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I disagree with callin git a lock.  If Okudah runs a 4.25 and tests well in other categories, he can be the pick.  They don't draft on need if the value is that high.  We need to have one of the OTs work his way into being a top 4 pick value wise before I'd call it a lock.  Also if Okudah does that well it may make it hard to move down to risk losing him but I'd still want to. 

If we do move down further though, I am ok with Brown/Kinlaw in the 6-10 range.  If it nets us enough picks. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2676405-br-recruiting-breakdown-5-star-and-no-1-ath-jeffrey-okudah

at The Opening in July; Okudah clocked a 4.03-second agility shuttle, launched a 42-foot power ball toss, leaped 41.6 inches in the vertical jump and finished his 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds.