Picking #3

Superduperman

I want the left over of Burrows, Tua, Young.  I’d also prefer a different GM make the picks because Quinn won’t do that but it would be best for the long term health of the franchise.  Trade Stafford after next year and then let Tua take over.  I do t love any prospect after the top 3 I listed here so if not one of them, trade down and take one of Okuda, Brown, Epenesa, Thomas.

• Like 1

I just really believe the Lions will take a T or DT unless Young falls (no) or some other generational talent wows them, although Quinn isn't one to make moves for pure talent, they have to make sure it's a character guy first 9_9

Don't forget we're going to lose A'Shawn, Snacks and Daniels (for what that last one is worth - not much), and that Wagner is on his way out and Decker is a disappointment. I feel like it's Brown or a tackle, Thomas seems to be in the lead right now but there are one or two others who could be in the mix there when the combine's all done and stuff

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I want the left over of Burrows, Tua, Young.  I’d also prefer a different GM make the picks because Quinn won’t do that but it would be best for the long term health of the franchise.  Trade Stafford after next year and then let Tua take over.  I do t love any prospect after the top 3 I listed here so if not one of them, trade down and take one of Okuda, Brown, Epenesa, Thomas.

Tua at #3, surgery, recovery, sit for the season, trade Stafford to a contender at some point in 2020/21? I don't hate that idea. That might be my 3rd favorite scenario.  (Draft Young is my favorite, trade down 2nd favorite) I'd love to get Stafford somewhere where he can see some success while he's healthy. We're in a good spot to get a great QB if we're rebuilding.

Unfortunately I think Quinn and Patricia are on the hot seat so they aren't inclined to think long term like you said.

20 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What is kind of interesting is that the Lions are a team that wants to a) run the ball and b) stop the run with a solid defense. 

While the perception is that we're in a passing league, a large number of the teams currently in the playoffs are there with a strong rushing attack with a solid defense. 

Bills, Titans, Ravens, 49ers and Vikings all went with this philosophy and were able to execute successfully. Clearly things didn't go so well for the Lions but maybe the ball control scheme they want to run isn't so antiquated. 

People always forget we are being built for Dec/Jan. 

12 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I just really believe the Lions will take a T or DT unless Young falls (no) or some other generational talent wows them, although Quinn isn't one to make moves for pure talent, they have to make sure it's a character guy first 9_9

Don't forget we're going to lose A'Shawn, Snacks and Daniels (for what that last one is worth - not much), and that Wagner is on his way out and Decker is a disappointment. I feel like it's Brown or a tackle, Thomas seems to be in the lead right now but there are one or two others who could be in the mix there when the combine's all done and stuff

Well we don't know who we are losing yet. That said, if we do lose a Daniels or Robinson we will have their money to spend on a replacement

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Who are the Dolphins trading up for?  I believe the last time we saw a team trade into the top 5 for a non-QB it was in 2014 when Buffalo moved to up to select Sammy Watkins.  Prior to that you had the Dolphins with Dion Jordan in 2013.  Teams are reluctant to move up into the top 5 for non-QBs, and teams who are willing to move down want an arm and a leg to do so, which makes trades hard to come by.  Unless Miami is going up for Tua, I don't see any reason why Miami would move up.  And even if they wanted Tua, I think they're content seeing if he falls to them anyways.

Tua

This pick really highlights the difficult dynamics of making short term demands while having a long term perspective.

I absolutely feel that, to be successful next year, the Lions should take the best defender available, or trade down, add value and select a defender in the 6-10 range. If Quinn and Patricia were given 5 more years to build this team, and they felt that Tua or Herbert were franchise prospects, I'd believe that they should take them instead, but they wont. They have to win now.

We can't give our GM/coach a one year time frame and expect them to make the best long term decisions for the team. It's why I wholeheartedly disagree with the short term approach.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

We can't give our GM/coach a one year time frame and expect them to make the best long term decisions for the team. It's why I wholeheartedly disagree with the short term approach.

Agreed. This regime should have been terminated with no warning. 

36 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Agreed. This regime should have been terminated with no warning. 

Yes. We should just cut ties with one GM/coach after two years and hire another GM/coach, with a new scheme, for the next two years. That new coach still wont be making the best decisions for the future of this franchise: they'll be doing whatever it takes to win now. And, hey, we can just fire them after their second season. It solves all of the problems.

Short term demands are almost always detrimental to long term success.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yes. We should just cut ties with one GM/coach after two years and hire another GM/coach, with a new scheme, for the next two years. That new coach still wont be making the best decisions for the future of this franchise: they'll be doing whatever it takes to win now. And, hey, we can just fire them after their second season. It solves all of the problems.

Short term demands are almost always detrimental to long term success.

We're four years into Quinn's rebuild here and we're going backwards. We've seen enough we can make informed predictions about the future with BQ and MP in charge. 

Having people in charge who are incapable of doing the job is almost always detrimental to long term success. Especially when they've been warned they probably won't be here for the long term.

24 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yes. We should just cut ties with one GM/coach after two years (edit: four years for the GM) and hire another GM/coach, with a new scheme, for the next two years. That new coach still wont be making the best decisions for the future of this franchise: they'll be doing whatever it takes to win now. And, hey, we can just fire them after their second season. It solves all of the problems.

Are you being sarcastic here because honestly I agree with all of this. You get two years to show your coaching makes a difference. Not the Super Bowl but noticeable improvement. If not, bye bye. If you're a defensive coach and after two years your defense is #31 in the league, bye bye.

Edited by Superduperman

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

Are you being sarcastic here because honestly I agree with all of this. You get two years to show your coaching makes a difference. Not the Super Bowl but noticeable improvement. If not, bye bye. If you're a defensive coach and after two years your defense is #31 in the league, bye bye.

Many people agree with you. Some of them own NFL franchises. Their teams are consistently terrible.

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

We're four years into Quinn's rebuild here and we're going backwards. We've seen enough we can make informed predictions about the future with BQ and MP in charge. 

Having people in charge who are incapable of doing the job is almost always detrimental to long term success. Especially when they've been warned they probably won't be here for the long term.

Backwards? What, based on record? Unbelievable.

The lack of context on this board never ceases to amaze me.