Picking #3

Superduperman

38 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

so, for tl and karnage, I'm curious to know if Chase Young is there at 3 and the Lions trade down or take someone else, would that change your view of Quinn?

I'll be at the front of the picket lines to fire Quinn if he makes that move. I'll make the 10 hour drive just to do that. 

My view of Quinn is misconstrued as being positive. My feeling is that it is an incomplete grade at the moment. There isn't enough of a body of work where he has been the driving force, in my opinion, to establish his grade as a GM. 

47 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

so, for tl and karnage, I'm curious to know if Chase Young is there at 3 and the Lions trade down or take someone else, would that change your view of Quinn?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably the farthest thing from a draft scout as exists. I'll also point out that there's a lot that happens behind the scenes that we as fans don't have access to, including draft interviews, workouts, research, etc.

There are absolutely reasonable scenarios where Young is there at #3 and the Lions don't draft him. It all depends on the details.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably the farthest thing from a draft scout as exists. I'll also point out that there's a lot that happens behind the scenes that we as fans don't have access to, including draft interviews, workouts, research, etc.

There are absolutely reasonable scenarios where Young is there at #3 and the Lions don't draft him. It all depends on the details.

I will disagree on that. If Young is there at #3 the Lions HAVE to take him unless they're trading down to 4 and a team is moving up to take someone else. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I will disagree on that. If Young is there at #3 the Lions HAVE to take him unless they're trading down to 4 and a team is moving up to take someone else. 

See, that's one example that fits his question. I could come up with a bunch of others. It all depends on those circumstances.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, that's one example that fits his question. I could come up with a bunch of others. It all depends on those circumstances.

Young is just too good to take any chance that he won't be there. 

Lions trade down to #5 for the Dolphins to take Tua. Either the Giants will take Young or some team will trade up with them to take him at #4. There just aren't too many situations where it would make sense for us to pass up on him. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Young is just too good to take any chance that he won't be there. 

Lions trade down to #5 for the Dolphins to take Tua. Either the Giants will take Young or some team will trade up with them to take him at #4. There just aren't too many situations where it would make sense for us to pass up on him. 

Alright, so I'll throw one out there. (This scenario begins with the assumption that Burrow and Tua are drafted #1 and #2, in some order. It is completely random.)

The Lions sign Ngakoue or Beasley in FA. The Raiders trade Maurice Hurst, 1.12, 1.19, two 3rd round picks and a future 1st round pick for 1.3 (Young).

I'd absolutely take that. (And I'm not saying that the Raiders would even consider it.) There are plenty of packages that I feel could drastically improve this roster over just Young.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Alright, so I'll throw one out there. (This scenario begins with the assumption that Burrow and Tua are drafted #1 and #2, in some order. It is completely random.)

The Lions sign Ngakoue or Beasley in FA. The Raiders trade Maurice Hurst, 1.12, 1.19, two 3rd round picks and a future 1st round pick for 1.3 (Young).

I'd absolutely take that. (And I'm not saying that the Raiders would even consider it.) There are plenty of packages that I feel could drastically improve this roster over just Young.

The money it would take to get Ngakoue would be pretty substantial compared to the #3 pick. 

Nick Bosa's salary cap hit is $6M. Spotrac has Ngaokue at $17M/year. That $11M/year difference could easily be a couple other guys without a loss in production. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The money it would take to get Ngakoue would be pretty substantial compared to the #3 pick. 

Nick Bosa's salary cap hit is $6M. Spotrac has Ngaokue at $17M/year. That $11M/year difference could easily be a couple other guys without a loss in production. 

Yeah, if cap is the concern, grab Beasley instead, or another edge rusher, or draft one 1.12 or 1.19. Plenty of options.

My point is that there are definitely scenarios where compensation could cause me to trade down from Young. Three 1st round picks, two 3rds and a young player would be one of those.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

The Redskins could feel they have far too many needs and can use the bounty of picks to make themselves a really good team. Maybe they're happy with Montez Sweat. Just spitballing ideals.

The last time we saw a team trade into the top 5 that wasn't moving up to select a QB was in 2014 when the Bills traded up for Sammy Watkins.  Teams don't pass up the opportunity to draft the BPA unless they're receiving a mountain of picks in return.  The 49ers took Nick Bosa in 2019, the Giants took Saquon Barkley in 2018, the Browns took Myles Garrett in 2017, and the Chargers took Joey Bosa in 2016.  Teams aren't going to pass up on BPA because they get a "decent" package.  It's going to take a hell of a package for the Redskins to move down from 2.

31 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

My view of Quinn is misconstrued as being positive. My feeling is that it is an incomplete grade at the moment. There isn't enough of a body of work where he has been the driving force, in my opinion, to establish his grade as a GM. 

I understand where you are coming from. I'm in the same place.  We are really one year into a rebuild, or so I believe.  Year one of Patricia you had a full on mutiny. Those players had to be removed.  Year two not as bad, but it sounds like more of the same.  However, I'm kind of with TL on chase young. There are a million scenarios where it could make sense.  I was just wondering if there would be anything where the two of you are like "nope, I'm done." and I was wondering if chase young would be one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, if cap is the concern, grab Beasley instead, or another edge rusher, or draft one 1.12 or 1.19. Plenty of options.

My point is that there are definitely scenarios where compensation could cause me to trade down from Young. Three 1st round picks, two 3rds and a young player would be one of those.

I just think for the type of player, age of player, cap hit and production... Young at #3 just makes too much sense to not be the pick. Beasley is older and doesn't offer the same level of production/impact, Ngaokue is older and is going to be much more expensive, etc. 

To each their own but it's going to be near impossible for someone to convince me that not taking Young if he's there at #3 makes sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I understand where you are coming from. I'm in the same place.  We are really one year into a rebuild, or so I believe.  Year one of Patricia you had a full on mutiny. Those players had to be removed.  Year two not as bad, but it sounds like more of the same.  However, I'm kind of with TL on chase young. There are a million scenarios where it could make sense.  I was just wondering if there would be anything where the two of you are like "nope, I'm done." and I was wondering if chase young would be one.

I completely agree with Patricia's year one. The Stafford injury during year two can't be understated. We're in a great position for the future, which is why year three intrigues me.

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

If Young is there at #3 and Bob Quinn passes over him... I dunno.. that might just be it. 

If he decides to not trade up to #2 and Young goes to Washington.. well... it is what it is. Maybe the compensation was too high to move one spot. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I just think for the type of player, age of player, cap hit and production... Young at #3 just makes too much sense to not be the pick. Beasley is older and doesn't offer the same level of production/impact, Ngaokue is older and is going to be much more expensive, etc. 

To each their own but it's going to be near impossible for someone to convince me that not taking Young if he's there at #3 makes sense. 

That's absolutely fair. For me, it's hard to pass up three 1st round picks (with additional picks and a player), especially with next year's QB class and Stafford's age/back concerns.