Browns fire HC Eddie Kitchens and GM John Dorsey

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Baker is the worst QB in recent memory? And yes, Kitchens was bad. But one of the worst in NFL history?

really-come-on.gif

Yes.

We will never again have a QB with the best receiving duo in the league and leagues second leading runner finish with the lowest passer rating in the league.

Just looking at Mayfield, he has limited arm strength, little accuracy, he’s 5’11”, immobile, and can’t read defenses. He is outmatched at the NFL level in every aspect of his game, hence how he has the worst season in recent NFL memory.

20 hours ago, kramxel said:

Really surprised they are letting Dorsey go after the roster he has been able to build. There were some awful decisions mixed in, and an inability to recognize coaching talent... But still... 

Give me the draft capital the Browns had. I would have built a better team. 0 doubt about that.

Taking Nick Chubb at 35 was the probably only unequivocal good move he's made, given the cost of the moves. He had 1,4,33 and 35 in that draft so it would have been very difficult not to stumble into a top player.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Give me the draft capital the Browns had. I would have built a better team. 0 doubt about that.

Taking Nick Chubb at 35 was the probably only unequivocal good move he's made, given the cost of the moves. He had 1,4,33 and 35 in that draft so it would have been very difficult not to stumble into a top player.

Yeah, that 4th pick was idiot-proof.

He still managed to spend 33 on Corbett who was absolutely useless. Passed over guys like Sutton, Hernandez, Daniels, etc. for that goober.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I think he did good to take Ward over Chubb/Fitzpatrick though that move looked better before minkah was in Pittsburgh 

19 minutes ago, tab said:

I think he did good to take Ward over Chubb/Fitzpatrick though that move looked better before minkah was in Pittsburgh 

Too soon to have a definitive answer on this. But I'd take Bradley Chubb over Ward right now without much hesitation. I think he's going to be a star. I'm less sure of how good Ward is or will be in a good defensive system.

I'm not saying Ward won't be better, but Dorsey had first pick of Ward, Chubb, Quentin Nelson, Roquan Smith, Minkah, McGlinchey, Derwin James (who was and should have been in the discussion despite sliding a bit later). Any non-QB in the draft other than Saquan. So again, taking a player who's shown as much as Ward has #4 overall shouldn't be a plus on his resume. It should be expected. A #4 overall pick should be very good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Too soon to have a definitive answer on this. But I'd take Bradley Chubb over Ward right now without much hesitation. I think he's going to be a star. I'm less sure of how good Ward is or will be in a good defensive system.

I'm not saying Ward won't be better, but Dorsey had first pick of Ward, Chubb, Quentin Nelson, Roquan Smith, Minkah, McGlinchey, Derwin James (who was and should have been in the discussion despite sliding a bit later). Any non-QB in the draft other than Saquan. So again, taking a player who's shown as much as Ward has #4 overall shouldn't be a plus on his resume. It should be expected. A #4 overall pick should be very good. 

The Browns had just taken Garrett the year before, so Chubb wasn't really necessary. They needed a CB more and hit on that pick. I don't recall who was penciled in to play across from Garrett, but I remember it being a decent player. Ward was the best pick for the Browns and their needs at the time.

I initially thought they'd take James but they had traded for Randall before the draft and appeared to be set at starting safety.

8 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

The Browns had just taken Garrett the year before, so Chubb wasn't really necessary. They needed a CB more and hit on that pick. I don't recall who was penciled in to play across from Garrett, but I remember it being a decent player. Ward was the best pick for the Browns and their needs at the time.

I initially thought they'd take James but they had traded for Randall before the draft and appeared to be set at starting safety.

Ward vs Chubb vs James is all debatable, but besides my point. After 2 years, taking Denzel Ward #4 overall in the 2018 draft does not appear to be a move that significantly strengthens Dorsey's resume. I may be lower on Ward than others, but he's not clearly better than the other players available then. 

Also, you shouldn't be concerned that much with need that high up in the draft. The #4 overall pick is not for just filling some current roster hole, you need a game changer. If Dorsey had taken Nelson or Derwin James, I'd call that a plus move with the information we have now.

31 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Ward vs Chubb vs James is all debatable, but besides my point. After 2 years, taking Denzel Ward #4 overall in the 2018 draft does not appear to be a move that significantly strengthens Dorsey's resume. I may be lower on Ward than others, but he's not clearly better than the other players available then. 

Also, you shouldn't be concerned that much with need that high up in the draft. The #4 overall pick is not for just filling some current roster hole, you need a game changer. If Dorsey had taken Nelson or Derwin James, I'd call that a plus move with the information we have now.

You have to take into account your current roster makeup. Ward improved the team the most and they desperately needed a #1 CB.

At the time they had Garrett and Ogbah at DE, Carrie and Mitchell at CB, and Randall and Peppers at S. The best upgrade was to add a top CB and they did that.

You can't really judge in hindsight without examining the situation the team was in at the time.

Browns fans themselves were asking for a CB

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

You have to take into account your current roster makeup. Ward improved the team the most and they desperately needed a #1 CB.

At the time they had Garrett and Ogbah at DE, Carrie and Mitchell at CB, and Randall and Peppers at S. The best upgrade was to add a top CB and they did that.

You can't really judge in hindsight without examining the situation the team was in at the time.

It was the right pick and he isn’t getting the dues he deserves this season WR he went up against had the lowest completion percentage in the league. He just needs to add a few INT’s and he is a stud

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Nah... forget all this. I don't care what Browns fans were asking for. Ward was NOT optimal use of the of the number 4 overall pick. And it's not hindsight when players that I think are/were better were being rated there pre draft.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Nah... forget all this. I don't care what Browns fans were asking for. Ward was NOT optimal use of the of the number 4 overall pick. And it's not hindsight when players that I think are/were better were being rated there pre draft.

It was pretty good use of the #4 pick but given the players that were there he couldn't miss so I don't give him a lot of credit.  Trading back for another first and getting Derwin James would have been probably the best move.  Hell he might have been able to trade with the Bills and still land Ward.  But I'm not gonna fault a guy for grabbing the player he wants at the spot he has.  It's a neutral move to me, he made a layup.

Edited by Rod Johnson

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It is maybe the roughest time in Browns  history right now to be fan.

That said it is hard to second guess drafting a all pro with that pick also sense Chubb was injured this year.

Also the draft aligns with Dorsey needs this maybe the deepest offensive line draft in 10 years .

Free agency the Browns have the money to sign both Shaq Barrett and flowers defensive lineman la both who a rated higher than chubb