Browns fire HC Eddie Kitchens and GM John Dorsey

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

To be fair, Ben Allbright also said that there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that he hoped would see the light of day. In addition to that, Charles Robinson tweeted today that the major reason this didnt work out is because Haslem realized you cant have 2 sides pulling in different directions between analytics and football. 

Pretty sure the stuff Ben is referring to are is the stuff that's been floating around that Dorsey was operating (particularly in the last HC hiring process) more from a position of protecting his own self-interest (and power) and not in the best interest of the team.  It wasn't just shining DePodesta's recommendation in Stefanski, it was the reason he did it - because it would be an endorsement of DePodesta as, potentially, someone less disposable than he was (which turned out to be true).  The bit I remember standing out the most from when I read it (Twitter read, so grain of salt and all, but the dots do seem to line up) was that Dorsey was still carrying baggage from when he brought Andy Reid into KC and Reid, in Dorsey's mind, stole the power away from him and ran him out of town.  So he resolved not to hire anyone with a stronger resume than his own in Cleveland in an effort to avoid that kind of thing happening (to him) again.

If this is true, it likely lends credence to the direction the decision-makers in Cleveland want to go with this next hire - which, IMO, would point to a former HC in either McCarthy or McDaniels.

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

Pretty sure the stuff Ben is referring to are is the stuff that's been floating around that Dorsey was operating (particularly in the last HC hiring process) more from a position of protecting his own self-interest (and power) and not in the best interest of the team.  It wasn't just shining DePodesta's recommendation in Stefanski, it was the reason he did it - because it would be an endorsement of DePodesta as, potentially, someone less disposable than he was (which turned out to be true).  The bit I remember standing out the most from when I read it (Twitter read, so grain of salt and all, but the dots do seem to line up) was that Dorsey was still carrying baggage from when he brought Andy Reid into KC and Reid, in Dorsey's mind, stole the power away from him and ran him out of town.  So he resolved not to hire anyone with a stronger resume than his own in Cleveland in an effort to avoid that kind of thing happening (to him) again.

If this is true, it likely lends credence to the direction the decision-makers in Cleveland want to go with this next hire - which, IMO, would point to a former HC in either McCarthy or McDaniels.

Reid was hired before Dorsey became GM. In fact, I'm pretty sure Reid had similar powers to what Carroll and Jim Harbaugh had when they joined their respective teams in picking a GM that aligned with their values.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would the Head Coach pick the GM? lol

Worked for both San Francisco and Seattle when they hired Shannahan/Caroll before having a GM in place and Im pretty sure SF hired Lynch based off of Shannahans recommendation because he knew they could work together 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Reid was hired before Dorsey became GM. In fact, I'm pretty sure Reid had similar powers to what Carroll and Jim Harbaugh had when they joined their respective teams in picking a GM that aligned with their values.

Shanny got to help in the selection of John Lynch, don’t believe Harbs had any say in his GM though as it was his rough relationship with Baalke that was a big proponent in him being let go. 

I believe Gruden has a voice in the choosing of Mayock as well. Those are the two most recent I can recall but I’m sure there’s been more in the past.

If the two can get, be, and stay on the same page when it comes to building and maintaining a team I don’t see anything wrong with it. Because it’s the Browns and because it’s “not the norm” people automatically assume it will go wrong. But this method has proven successful before.

Edited by Fureys49ers

9 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Will the Browns ever be good? Or is this question not of our lifetime? 

Well, I really thought this was the year...the year that it all changed. Then it just turned out to be a different version of the same old ishh

The Browns are Murphys Law---whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

Edited by AkronsWitness

26 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Shanny got to help in the selection of John Lynch, don’t believe Harbs had any say in his GM though as it was his rough relationship with Baalke that was a big proponent in him being let go. 

I believe Gruden has a voice in the choosing of Mayock as well. Those are the two most recent I can recall but I’m sure there’s been more in the past.

If the two can get, be, and stay on the same page when it comes to building and maintaining a team I don’t see anything wrong with it. Because it’s the Browns and because it’s “not the norm” people automatically assume it will go wrong. But this method has proven successful before.

I'm pretty sure Harbs did have a say in Balke being hired. It just didn't work out like the Reid Dorsey situation.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well, I really thought this was the year...the year that it all changed. Then it just turned out to be a different version of the same old ishh

The Browns are Murphys Law---whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

There’s always next year.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

I'm pretty sure Harbs did have a say in Balke being hired. It just didn't work out like the Reid Dorsey situation.

Baalke was our acting gm before harbaugh got here. Harbaugh signed off on working with him before everything was consummated, but baalke was there first 

I would argue that a good coach is more important than a good gm. I don't have an issue with hiring a coach first, but it can get ugly if done wrong 

• Like 2