Who Impressed You This Week (Week 3 9/16/2017)

alfalcone

2 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Him and Cam Phillips have caught my eye this week. Speaking on WRs, what's up with Courtland Sutton?

Their qb barely threw him the ball..  Seems like his favorite target is Trey Quinn, the LSU transfer.

37 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The Texas Longhorns Defense has played really well this week. They got absolutely torn up week 1 against a mediocre at best Maryland team, and tonight have made Sam Darnold look like he's nothing special

Deshon Elliott's pop-up game for next year's draft.  Anticipation shown tonight pretty impressive.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, DalCowboyzRule said:

Reserved for Nic Shimonek and Keke Coutee who are going to light ASU up like the 4th of effing July.

The last time Coutee faced a Phil Bennett defense he put up 8 catches for 221 yards and 2 TD's. I expect more of the same tomorrow from our most explosive player.

yup.

Went back and watched the Texas-USC game. Very unclean, sloppy game, but exciting as hell. So many false starts, you could tell those OLs are both inexperienced and crowd noise was a factor. I was really excited for my first 'real' exposure of Connor Williams. Devastating knee injury. Hope to see him recover well. I wonder if he decides to declare or come back for another year.

The Texas defense was dominant throughout. I studied Malik Jefferson last week and came away unimpressed. Didn't looked like he had any mental processing and was slow to react on plays. He looked a lot better against USC, particularly in the 2nd half. He had a really nice play where he darted through the gap and snatched Stephen Carr for a TFL. Even after that performance, I'm not sold on him as a first round prospect. Roquan Smith = LB1. Anthony Wheeler also flashed a lot from MLB. 

I came away impressed with DL Poona Ford. Really undersized at 5'11'', but he moves really well and has tremendous foot quickness in pursuit. His size sometimes poses as a positive. He plays really low and typically wins the leverage battle. Really strong and can crash the pocket. Likely a day 3 guy if he tests well, but I like him a lot. S DeShon Elliott came away with both INTs on Darnold, one a pick 6 off a batted pass. He made some good plays in coverage and flashed. Not sure if he'll declare, but definitely a name to store away for 2019.

Speaking of Sam Darnold, he was good. Both teams struggled with field position, and that obviously hampered him, along with the Longhorns tough defense. Darnold displayed exactly what he's touted to be. A little bit of a flamethrower, he missed some throws he should've made, but flashed his traits as well. Darnold was good in the pocket, for the most part, and showed his ability to move and create. Really good arm talent as he showed on the game-tying drive at the end of the 4th quarter. That jump pass was phenomenal. His release remains a concern, but I noticed him shorten it up towards the end of the game. Haven't seen this before. Maybe the equivalent to a hitter choking up on his bat?

Darnold still hoovers as my QB1. He's a gunslinger and a playmaker under center, and has the charisma of a franchise QB. Certainly has some things to clean up, but tell me a QB in this class who doesn't? Plus Darnold is only 20-21 years old. 

Looking at the rest of the offense, Ronald Jones struggled and answered the big question I had with him: vision. Jones continuously struggled to find holes against a tough run defense and was playing the "outside shuffle" most of the game. He gained a lot of hype after the first few weeks, but he should come back down to earth a bit as Pac-12 play kicks off. I still like him a lot. He has deadly quicks and speed in the open field, but he's mostly a one-trick pony. I don't think he's a premier prospect in this deep RB class. Deontay Burnett was solid and made some big catches during the game. I don't know if I see him as a next level player, but that was my first exposure to him so I'm nowhere near to writing him off. Plus, my eye was more focused on Darnold.

On defense I was honing in on Porter Gustin and Cameron Smith. You have to admire Gustin playing with a broken foot, although he didn't return for the 2nd half. By far his best trait is his first step which he showcased throughout his time on the field. However, he showed no pass rush repertoire and was often stood up on the rush. He did, however, record consecutive sacks late in the 1st half. You have to love his passion and willingness to play through two injuries. He's a draftable player who can bring fight off your bench. Smith was alright. He doesn't look too athletic. Definitely a liability in coverage but a decent run defender. EDGE Uchenna Nwosu was the best player on that defense. A name I added to my Watch List.

Oh yea, and WR Collin Johnson was phenomenal for Texas. Straight freak. If he runs .1 second faster he's getting Megatron comps. Looks like the headline of 2019's WR class.

Colorado's RS Soph Steve Montez. Basically, exactly how you draw up a pro QB but he needs a whole bunch of polish and maturation.

I've been hunting for an OL prospect that can play. Ole's Miss OT/G Rod Taylor isn't terrible.

Had a lot of fun watching California 's RS Soph QB Ross Bowers vs Ole Miss. Stat line doesn't look good but he balled.

RB Rashaad Penny is a force. Can't come up with a good comp for him yet. I get kind of a David Wilson, Felix Jones, Tatum Bell vibe.

22 hours ago, Word_is_Bond said:

Went back and watched the Texas-USC game. Very unclean, sloppy game, but exciting as hell. So many false starts, you could tell those OLs are both inexperienced and crowd noise was a factor. I was really excited for my first 'real' exposure of Connor Williams. Devastating knee injury. Hope to see him recover well. I wonder if he decides to declare or come back for another year.

The Texas defense was dominant throughout. I studied Malik Jefferson last week and came away unimpressed. Didn't looked like he had any mental processing and was slow to react on plays. He looked a lot better against USC, particularly in the 2nd half. He had a really nice play where he darted through the gap and snatched Stephen Carr for a TFL. Even after that performance, I'm not sold on him as a first round prospect. Roquan Smith = LB1. Anthony Wheeler also flashed a lot from MLB. 

I came away impressed with DL Poona Ford. Really undersized at 5'11'', but he moves really well and has tremendous foot quickness in pursuit. His size sometimes poses as a positive. He plays really low and typically wins the leverage battle. Really strong and can crash the pocket. Likely a day 3 guy if he tests well, but I like him a lot. S DeShon Elliott came away with both INTs on Darnold, one a pick 6 off a batted pass. He made some good plays in coverage and flashed. Not sure if he'll declare, but definitely a name to store away for 2019.

Speaking of Sam Darnold, he was good. Both teams struggled with field position, and that obviously hampered him, along with the Longhorns tough defense. Darnold displayed exactly what he's touted to be. A little bit of a flamethrower, he missed some throws he should've made, but flashed his traits as well. Darnold was good in the pocket, for the most part, and showed his ability to move and create. Really good arm talent as he showed on the game-tying drive at the end of the 4th quarter. That jump pass was phenomenal. His release remains a concern, but I noticed him shorten it up towards the end of the game. Haven't seen this before. Maybe the equivalent to a hitter choking up on his bat?

Darnold still hoovers as my QB1. He's a gunslinger and a playmaker under center, and has the charisma of a franchise QB. Certainly has some things to clean up, but tell me a QB in this class who doesn't? Plus Darnold is only 20-21 years old. 

Looking at the rest of the offense, Ronald Jones struggled and answered the big question I had with him: vision. Jones continuously struggled to find holes against a tough run defense and was playing the "outside shuffle" most of the game. He gained a lot of hype after the first few weeks, but he should come back down to earth a bit as Pac-12 play kicks off. I still like him a lot. He has deadly quicks and speed in the open field, but he's mostly a one-trick pony. I don't think he's a premier prospect in this deep RB class. Deontay Burnett was solid and made some big catches during the game. I don't know if I see him as a next level player, but that was my first exposure to him so I'm nowhere near to writing him off. Plus, my eye was more focused on Darnold.

On defense I was honing in on Porter Gustin and Cameron Smith. You have to admire Gustin playing with a broken foot, although he didn't return for the 2nd half. By far his best trait is his first step which he showcased throughout his time on the field. However, he showed no pass rush repertoire and was often stood up on the rush. He did, however, record consecutive sacks late in the 1st half. You have to love his passion and willingness to play through two injuries. He's a draftable player who can bring fight off your bench. Smith was alright. He doesn't look too athletic. Definitely a liability in coverage but a decent run defender. EDGE Uchenna Nwosu was the best player on that defense. A name I added to my Watch List.

Oh yea, and WR Collin Johnson was phenomenal for Texas. Straight freak. If he runs .1 second faster he's getting Megatron comps. Looks like the headline of 2019's WR class.

You do not know if Deontay Burnett is a next level player?  What?  Kid is absolutely trending straight up, had an awesome Bowl game against Penn State and has had three great games in a row to start this season.  Makes insane diving catches look ordinary, especially on Daronld's inaccurate passes, but he still catches them.  Kid is totally rising up the draft boards and is playing right now like a 1st round pick if he decides to come out early.  Sure that could change but the upside and potential he has been showing is really great I think, big time playmaker with great speed and hands.

And Malik Jefferson, he has been extremely productive from the word go as a freshman player.  Big time prospect and is a 1st round talent.  Outstanding athlete, sure at times he does not make all the plays he should but he has star potential.  Easily is one of the most talented linebackers in the entire country with how well he moves on the football field, and there is not many soild outside linebackers in the nation I feel, especially guys who are not just 3/4 OLB pass rushers only.  He did have a great game as did Wheeler who impressed me a lot as well.  

Nwosu I like, was all over the place I agree but he will not be a 3/4 OLB in the NFL at that size.  He is best as a undersized speed rusher and that could be a problem, needs to show more ability to take on blocks and not just be a quick penetration guy.  Is having a really great year though and is really standout out thought I agree.

I liked what Ford showed that is for sure, was part of a very impressive run defense overall for Texas.  USC ran all over Stanford a typically good front 7, Texas stood their ground and played great inside.  Charles Omenihu was a super star in that game as well I thought, always loved his size and potential and he played big time in that game for sure on the edge.  

There is a reason Tristan Nickelson did not get tons of playing time.  Really unique size for a offensive tackle but gets beat a lot in pass protector for sure, see how he does with more time now that Williams is out.  Ehlinger really impressed how he could stand in there despite tons of pressure on him from the edges.  Overall though great game, nice to see a big time game when it is not just trading freaking touchdowns and the other team can stop the offense from time to time.  Makes for a much more exciting and intense game when yards are fought for not just given seemingly.  Texas did deserve to win the game in the end but ultimately that fight they showed was very impressive on the road against a team like USC and that offense, especially after what they did to Stanford the week before.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You do not know if Deontay Burnett is a next level player?  What?  Kid is absolutely trending straight up, had an awesome Bowl game against Penn State and has had three great games in a row to start this season.  Makes insane diving catches look ordinary, especially on Daronld's inaccurate passes, but he still catches them.  Kid is totally rising up the draft boards and is playing right now like a 1st round pick if he decides to come out early.  Sure that could change but the upside and potential he has been showing is really great I think, big time playmaker with great speed and hands.

And Malik Jefferson, he has been extremely productive from the word go as a freshman player.  Big time prospect and is a 1st round talent.  Outstanding athlete, sure at times he does not make all the plays he should but he has star potential.  Easily is one of the most talented linebackers in the entire country with how well he moves on the football field, and there is not many soild outside linebackers in the nation I feel, especially guys who are not just 3/4 OLB pass rushers only.  He did have a great game as did Wheeler who impressed me a lot as well.  

Nwosu I like, was all over the place I agree but he will not be a 3/4 OLB in the NFL at that size.  He is best as a undersized speed rusher and that could be a problem, needs to show more ability to take on blocks and not just be a quick penetration guy.  Is having a really great year though and is really standout out thought I agree.

I liked what Ford showed that is for sure, was part of a very impressive run defense overall for Texas.  USC ran all over Stanford a typically good front 7, Texas stood their ground and played great inside.  Charles Omenihu was a super star in that game as well I thought, always loved his size and potential and he played big time in that game for sure on the edge.  

There is a reason Tristan Nickelson did not get tons of playing time.  Really unique size for a offensive tackle but gets beat a lot in pass protector for sure, see how he does with more time now that Williams is out.  Ehlinger really impressed how he could stand in there despite tons of pressure on him from the edges.  Overall though great game, nice to see a big time game when it is not just trading freaking touchdowns and the other team can stop the offense from time to time.  Makes for a much more exciting and intense game when yards are fought for not just given seemingly.  Texas did deserve to win the game in the end but ultimately that fight they showed was very impressive on the road against a team like USC and that offense, especially after what they did to Stanford the week before.  

As I said with Burnett, that was my first exposure to him. He definitely flashed some potential and I will evaluate him further this season. With that being said, there are a good number of WRs I'd prefer in this class, just based off initial viewing.

The Texas defense as a whole was outstanding. I crush on Day 3 DL prospects. Last year it was Godchaux, this year it could be Ford. I'm just not sold on Jefferson as a blue chip prospect. With LBs, the trait I judge the most is ability to read and react (mental processing), and he just doesn't show that consistently. He'll give you that flash play every so often, but I need more consistency from an LB if I go that route in the 1st round. He wasn't involved too much in the 1st half, but clearly stepped up it after halftime. Wheeler looked rock solid and Omenihu was really good too, someone I failed to mention in my review.

I didn't pay too close attention to Nwosu, just noticed him make play after play. Looking at his side, he's probably best served as a speed rusher, I agree. May not have the strength to take on blocks and win at the point of attack at the next level. Let him use his speed to bend the edge.

Archived