WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

Just now, Jakuvious said:

This happens all the time. There's a period of delay. Ref responsible watches play clock, when it hits zero, turns to see if play has started. If it's starting during that transition they let it go.

Exactly.

How doesn't everyone know this already?

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

Lol they never should have been given the td. It was clear to everyone except that stupid ref...even the backup refs had to step in. Fans trying to hold on to that play just want to complain about the refs. 

Again, there is no rule that allows the returner to just hand the ball to the ref. The back judge correctly moved out of the way of the pitched ball and declared it live.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

The way you give yourself up on a kickoff: take a knee. There is no rule that says if you to give the ball to the ref while the ball being live you have given up on the play. The refs bailed the returner out.

"Intentionally downing the ball: intentionally kneeling, verbally declaring "I'm down" (except in college), or similar actions"

Rulebook verifies this, he said he was down and indicated he wasn't going to go.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This happens all the time. There's a period of delay. Ref responsible watches play clock, when it hits zero, turns to see if play has started. If it's starting during that transition they let it go.

Well it was zero for a full second... look at Milano waving for a flag. If there was time for defenders to notice that the clock is at zero and ball hasnt been snapped then there is time for the ref

Just now, Woz said:

Again, there is no rule that allows the returner to just hand the ball to the ref. The back judge correctly moved out of the way of the pitched ball and declared it live.

Hey I'm not the one to be mad at. If the ref had called it a touchback from the jump...nobody would be talking about a miss fumble. Even the Bills kicking guys would have left the ball alone. The ref screwed up and got Bills fans all up in their feelings.

2 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

Play clock ran out on the Bills in the 1st qtr when they called a TO. I'd say refs were consistent. 

Well in that instant you dont know if McDermott called timeout from the sideline either. But yes clock did end before Allen signaled but Sean usually is the first to notice and call TOs

But on that play no TO was taken so it should have been a flag

Edited by marshawn lynch

9 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That TD play I honestly don't know about. I thought you had to fair catch or kneel. But basically every ref on the field expect the one that was there said it shouldn't be a fumble so I really don't know

To quote myself from earlier; what I quoted is from the Official NFL Rulebook.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

(a) is not touched by the receiving team, and the ball touches the ground in the end zone.

(b) goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line;

(c) strikes the receiving team’s goal post, uprights, or cross bar; or

(d) is downed in the end zone by the receiving team.

That play met zero of these conditions.

The refs cost the Bills a TD and the game with this terrible call. Obviously the Texans could have won still, as playcalls and such would likely be different, but it's unlikely. Also, you can't fair catch a kickoff, only punts.

Edited by kingseanjohn

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

The refs cost the Bills a TD and the game with this terrible call. Obviously the Texans could have won still, as playcalls and such would likely be different, but it's unlikely.

"goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line"

Was thrown to the ref behind the goal line.

" is downed in the end zone by the receiving team"

5 minutes ago, Drained said:

"Intentionally downing the ball: intentionally kneeling, verbally declaring "I'm down" (except in college), or similar actions"

Rulebook verifies this, he said he was down and indicated he wasn't going to go.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

The refs cost the Bills a TD and the game with this terrible call. Obviously the Texans could have won still, as playcalls and such would likely be different, but it's unlikely.

There is a post a few above talking about what counts as "downing" I can see the signal saying I'm not coming out and tossing it to the ref as being considered a "similar action"