WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

8 minutes ago, Drained said:

"Intentionally downing the ball: intentionally kneeling, verbally declaring "I'm down" (except in college), or similar actions"

Rulebook verifies this, he said he was down and indicated he wasn't going to go.

This is from Wikipedia and not sourced. I'm struggling to find this verbiage in the NFL rulebook, unless I'm missing something obvious.

3 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

To quote myself from earlier; what I quoted is from the Official NFL Rulebook.

The refs cost the Bills a TD and the game with this terrible call. Obviously the Texans could have won still, as playcalls and such would likely be different, but it's unlikely. Also, you can't fair catch a kickoff, only punts.

This is grasping at straws. Common sense says that's not a TD and even so, 1 play at the beginning of the 2nd half does not determine the outcome. It was a hard fought game and the Bills just came up short. 

Rule 6 Section 5:

ARTICLE 5. FREE KICK CROSSES GOAL LINE

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

1. touches the ground in the end zone before being touched by the receiving team.
  2. goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line;
  3. strikes the receiving team’s goal post, uprights, or cross bar; or
  4. is downed in the end zone by the receiving team.

Wikipedia is referencing Rule 7 Section 2 Article 1:

when a runner declares himself down by:

1. falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.

Again, he did not fall to the ground or kneel

1 minute ago, Jaytrajik said:

This is grasping at straws. Common sense says that's not a TD and even so, 1 play at the beginning of the 2nd half does not determine the outcome. It was a hard fought game and the Bills just came up short. 

I agree on no TD but that's probably game over if it's 20 - 0 at halftime. 

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm sorry, but the Bills were up 16-0 in the second half of the game.  They gave up a 3rd and 18 in overtime.  The refs sucked, but the refs have sucked in plenty of games all season.  The Bills lost this game, not the refs.

That may be true but that "blindside" block where the defender locked eyes with Cody Ford cost the Bills a chance at a potential game winning fg. You cant call that... in that situation. Wasnt forcable contact. Defender wasnt blinded. They mad eye contact. Block was face to face. Wasnt  unnecessary... they literally threw a flag for no reason and it took away a GW FG attempt 

Not gonna say the refs cost us the game. I disagree with some of the calls, sure, but it is true Allen failed to call the TO before the clock ran out, Missed calls affected both teams. Errors happen in every game. It just the way things go. I can honestly say, though, that we lost this game due to Josh reverting to his early season self of trying to play heroball, Also, that ridiculously inept defensive effort to stop them on the 3rd and 18 play when it was in overtime. There's no excuse for that latter one. Josh trying too hard to make things happen? It's proof of desire to win. Most fans love that drive/spirit, but he needs to learn to let his teammates collectively be successful and that he doesn't have to carry the offense. He hasn't grown mentally to get there...yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

So should this have been a TD? Common sense says he was going to score.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

Common sense says the tuck rule was a fumble as well but it not supported by the rules... cant just make up rules mid game cause its convienant 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

You're quoting Wikipedia and I'm quoting the official nfl rulebook.

But you have to look at the rulebook for what "down" means that is what the question is. Is what he did giving himself up such that he is declared down, that is what I don't know

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Wait so are some of you saying that the kickoff to open the second half should have been a touchdown for the Titans?  The play where the returner put both arms out, but never signaled fair catch or kneeled?

I don't know which one you're referring to. But did it fall under one of these?

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

1. touches the ground in the end zone before being touched by the receiving team.
  2. goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line;
  3. strikes the receiving team’s goal post, uprights, or cross bar; or
  4. is downed in the end zone by the receiving team.

I'm guessing it hit the ground without being touched or went out of bounds and therefore a touchback.

The play is not about common sense and may not even be in the NFL rule book.  That was something returners have been doing all season long.  The refs and the NFL set a precedent that putting both arms out to signal you're giving yourself up was acceptable.  So when the returner for the Texans did that, in his mind he was just doing what he had done in the past. 

Even if that's not apart of the rule book, that needs to continue to be accepted going forward.  If it's an issue, then change it to how it's supposed to be next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

Wait so are some of you saying that the kickoff to open the second half should have been a touchdown for the Titans?  The play where the returner put both arms out, but never signaled fair catch or kneeled?

Bills, but yeah