News and Notes: Cowboys Not in Playoffs Edition

Matts4313

46 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

hmmm interesting 

I had high hopes of Chris helping this young DB LB core that we have and 2018 was great but with the same players mostly 2019 was a disaster.  Now how much was this because if the NFL’s leading tackler missing most the season ???  Either way with the LB influence if Nolan I expect a rebound from Smith and LVE (if he plays)

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Holy hell fellas......this was way to close for comfort. I swear I would have flown to Frisco myself and biatch slapped JJ myself if this happened. I don't dislike JG, he did a few good things for the team overall. But it was simply time. Below is from the linked article.

The high-ranking source said that had the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.

2 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Holy hell fellas......this was way to close for comfort. I swear I would have flown to Frisco myself and biatch slapped JJ myself if this happened. I don't dislike JG, he did a few good things for the team overall. But it was simply time. Below is from the linked article.

The high-ranking source said that had the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.

Well the same could be said for any FO on a HC. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I for the most respectively disagree with this. Maybe a couple of other dysfunctional organizations would have. But a majority would have moved on earlier to begin to begin with, as in a few years ago. Much less after 10 years most other teams would have sent packing JG the day after the season ended. Hell, Carolina let Riveria go mid season and he made it to a SB. Under no circumstance should JG continued to have been our HC at this point.

11 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:
21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I for the most respectively disagree with this. Maybe a couple of other dysfunctional organizations would have. But a majority would have moved on earlier to begin to begin with, as in a few years ago. Much less after 10 years most other teams would have sent packing JG the day after the season ended. Hell, Carolina let Riveria go mid season and he made it to a SB. Under no circumstance should JG continued to have been our HC at this point.

I agree with Cal. It basically said "If after we interviewed everyone, they all sucked worse than Garrett, we could have brought him back."

Thats not a ringing endorsement. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I agree with Cal. It basically said "If after we interviewed everyone, they all sucked worse than Garrett, we could have brought him back. 

I just don't see it or get that. There absolutely---ZERO----chance he would have had a chance to be successful under the current circumstances. Eight days of basically a "vote of no confidence". Plus X amount of other interviews and you guys actually think it would be a good idea to bring him (or anyone in that situation) back for another go.

Ya'll are crazy on this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HDsportsfan said:

I just don't see it or get that. There absolutely---ZERO----chance he would have had a chance to be successful under the current circumstances. Eight days of basically a "vote of no confidence". Plus X amount of other interviews and you guys actually think it would be a good idea to bring him (or anyone in that situation) back for another go.

Ya'll are crazy on this one.

The probability that they wouldnt have moved on must have been right around ~0.5%. Which is why I disagree with your notion that it was close.

18 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The probability that they wouldnt have moved on must have been right around ~0.5%. Which is why I disagree with your notion that it was close.

Maybe "close" was the wrong word. But using the word "chance", which is what was used in the article was well.....to close for comfort.....for the idea that he could have been retained even by the smallest of percentages.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I’m not even sure the odds were that high. Jerry’s love for Redball was clear, but even he knew that 9 years of nothing was literally more than doubled what any coach would typically get and that he had to cut the cord.

Since 2011, 76.2% of teams with 9 or more wins had a higher pass-to-run ratio in a neutral game script than their overall ratio. Meaning, they were more pass-heavy when games were close. Because when they got a lead, they ran.

That number gets more and more significant as you increase the number of wins. Among teams with 11 or more wins, the percentage is 85.1%. 12 or more, you’re looking at 93.2%. At 13 wins, every single team since 2011 was more pass-heavy in neutral game scripts.

So, if you’re winning, you’re running more. If you’re running more, you’re getting more rushing yards. And it works the other way, too. This is why so many people talk about correlation and causation when someone makes these absurd statements about top rushing teams.