Black Monday - How many?

Golfman

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, for the most part it's been alright since Irvin was brought in. 

On the other hand there have only been 5 KR TDs and 7 PR TDs this yearso at some point it's tough to even figure out who's functional on the return units. 

We're getting to the point where ST is going to legislated out of the game entirely except for FGs

not turning it over, avoiding penalties and getting the 5-8 yards that are there on about 50% of punt returns is what is needed

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

It’s possible (that I’m overstating it), but IMO, you’re understating JJ’s influence.  I’ll try and find the article that I read recently that does a deep dive into JJ’s overwhelming micro-management of the coaching decisions.  It might change your mind.  Maybe.

Garrett was Jones's ******. Doesn't mean the next coach will be.  Get me the article would like to read it.  No love for the Cowboys always up for a good bashing.  My only point was it is one of the most desirable gigs in the NFL.  Don't think coaches wouldn't take the job strictly because of Jones.  Jimmy Jones used to but heads with him all the time.  If you are successful can get away with it. Another important consideration is job security.  Not a revolving door in Dallas unlike other franchises.  Not to mention the team already has the talent to succeed right away.  Looks to be Riley.  

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, for the most part it's been alright since Irvin was brought in. 

On the other hand there have only been 5 KR TDs and 7 PR TDs this yearso at some point it's tough to even figure out who's functional on the return units. 

We're getting to the point where ST is going to legislated out of the game entirely except for FGs

Hell take out field goals too to make it more competitive if you're gonna even take away punts

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Garrett was Jones's ******. Doesn't mean the next coach will be.  Get me the article would like to read it.  No love for the Cowboys always up for a good bashing.  My only point was it is one of the most desirable gigs in the NFL.  Don't think coaches wouldn't take the job strictly because of Jones.  Jimmy Jones used to but heads with him all the time.  If you are successful can get away with it. Another important consideration is job security.  Not a revolving door in Dallas unlike other franchises.  Not to mention the team already has the talent to succeed right away.  Looks to be Riley.  

That’s why Garrett was in Dallas so long, and Jimmy Johnson wasn’t.  Nobody wants to be anyone’s ***** - especially not in the NFL as a HC.  Yet, someone will, and we’ll see how long that lasts.  Short if it’s a man who respects himself.  Longer if you’re a patsy like Garrett.

12 hours ago, Golfman said:

The dude in Miami should be a coach of the year candidate keeping them going after the fire sale they held. 

Why Gase? the Jets had deeper problems than him. The QB was out 4-5 games with mono. They trade away a stud DT. I think he acquitted himself quite well given what he was dealing with there. 

Garrett, Marrone, Shurmur are gone IMO. Gotta be a few more too! 

Gase saved his butt with this stretch run, but his seat is no doubt hot. The offense got worse this year and that's supposed to be his specialty.  One could also look at all the players succeeding once they get away from Gase.

...his reputation in general isn't great. If they are mediocre in 2020 he'll be gone.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Getting Allen out of a football role certainly helps if you can keep him out of there, which nobody has been able to. 

Hard to tell if Rivera is actually a hot commodity or if people are just bringing him in to satisfy the Rooney Rule requirements. 

Allen is toast and Rivera is the new Redskins coach.  That didn't take long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Allen is toast and Rivera is the new Redskins coach.  That didn't take long.

I really like that hire. Their defensive personnel is perfect for what he runs on defense. It'll be interesting to see who he brings on as OC because Haskins and Cam are two wildly different types of QB's.

---

I think we see up to 6 guys canned actually. Marrone, Garrett, Shurmur, and Kitchens; but I think we get a surprise or two like a Mike Zimmer who has a ton of talent and with the exception of a lucky play two years ago, can't get the Vikings past the first round of the playoffs and if Houston loses in the first round again you have to think Bill O'Brien gets canned. We see those kinds of firings more frequently than not. If everyone in Pittsburgh had stayed healthy and they still missed the playoffs, I'd throw Tomlin in that mix too but he really saved his job this year with what he was able to do with the likes of Duck Hodges.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I really like that hire. Their defensive personnel is perfect for what he runs on defense. It'll be interesting to see who he brings on as OC because Haskins and Cam are two wildly different types of QB's.

---

I think we see up to 6 guys canned actually. Marrone, Garrett, Shurmur, and Kitchens; but I think we get a surprise or two like a Mike Zimmer who has a ton of talent and with the exception of a lucky play two years ago, can't get the Vikings past the first round of the playoffs and if Houston loses in the first round again you have to think Bill O'Brien gets canned. We see those kinds of firings more frequently than not. If everyone in Pittsburgh had stayed healthy and they still missed the playoffs, I'd throw Tomlin in that mix too but he really saved his job this year with what he was able to do with the likes of Duck Hodges.

Garrett's contract is up, can't can him.  Unless Jerry goes full Jerruh on him.  Sign then fire.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Garrett's contract is up, can't can him.  Unless Jerry goes full Jerruh on him.  Sign then fire.

Stranger things have happened...

Jerry has become what his mentor Al Davis became in his latter years...

Edited by Joe

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Stranger things have happened...

Jerry has become what his mentor Al Davis became in his latter years...

Eh.  Maybe the McDaniels fiasco would be up there with that hypothetical.  But that's really out there.  Hire, then fire Garrett.

And say what you want about Jerry, he's a good target.  But that team is loaded with talent and has $90M under the salary cap.

It is obviously missing the right coach and I dare say, they need a couple of vets on that team that has won a Super Bowl that those younger guys can lean on.  Thought Bennett would be that guy, but it didn't seem like he rubbed off on guys like Dak and Zeke too much.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Golfman said:

The dude in Miami should be a coach of the year candidate keeping them going after the fire sale they held. 

Why Gase? the Jets had deeper problems than him. The QB was out 4-5 games with mono. They trade away a stud DT. I think he acquitted himself quite well given what he was dealing with there. 

Garrett, Marrone, Shurmur are gone IMO. Gotta be a few more too! 

Certainly should be up there. Not sure you don't look at Tomlin though. Guy almost took a 3rd stringer named Duck at QB into the playoffs. Late season collapse probably hurts his cause though (especially vs your rival's 2nd stringers). 

• Like 1