What Happens to Ryan Kerrigan Now?

MKnight82

Its likely we select Chase Young in the upcoming draft, and we just took Sweat.  Kerrigan will be 32 years old at the start of next season.  He only has 1 year remaining on his contract, with a pretty reasonable $11.7 mil cap price.  He has 90 career sacks, which is just shy of the team record (91 officially for Dexter Manley, he had 97.5 sacks but 6.5 were with Tampa).  Now the math there is a little fuzzy because it doesn't include the 6 sacks in his rookie season (they didn't count sacks then) so its really more like 97 sacks is the team record.  Either way, Kerrigan is easily within reach next year for the team record. 

I think we should bring him back for another season.  We can always re-evaluate what to do with him near the trade deadline midseason.  Extending him doesn't make a lot of sense, and neither does shopping him this offseason either IMO.  You can never have too many pass rushers.  

• Like 2

You can never have too many pass rushers for sure.  I think it depends on whoever the coach and new people in the front office are.  If they value getting back some draft pick capital to replace the lost second round pick, Kerrigan goes.  If they value his veteran influence, officially setting that record, etc, then he stays.  It is too early for me to make an informed decision at this point.  

We should cut him. What Dan Snyder will do is give him a contract extension.

If we draft Chase Young, Kerrigan would be a back up or a pitty starter and he won’t play special teams. He’s a waste of cap space.

He should be cut, but Dan will care more about having Kerrigan end his career as a Redskins from the time he was drafted until when he retires and he’ll be retained.

I guess whoever the DC is and what kind of scheme they run and see if he fits. Take it from there. 

Just realized if Rivera is definitely the coach, his old DC/Steve Wills might be available since Kitchens was just fired. 

Dont know how that fits for Kerrigan. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You can never have too many pass rushers for sure.  I think it depends on whoever the coach and new people in the front office are.  If they value getting back some draft pick capital to replace the lost second round pick, Kerrigan goes.  If they value his veteran influence, officially setting that record, etc, then he stays.  It is too early for me to make an informed decision at this point.  

At 32, with only 1 year left on his deal, I don't think Kerrigan can net a 2nd round pick.  Especially because he got banged up this year.  

I agree with it being too early to decide now though.  I think they should make a decision at the trade deadline next year.

Trade deadline? And carry $11.7 million in cap space for a guy who’s not a good run defender, was always a hustle pass rusher w/o a quick first step or a lot of moves and is coming off an injury?

There’s no way they should carry him on their salary cap next year, none at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

At 32, with only 1 year left on his deal, I don't think Kerrigan can net a 2nd round pick.  Especially because he got banged up this year.  

I agree with it being too early to decide now though.  I think they should make a decision at the trade deadline next year.

Sorry, I wasn't saying he's worth a second round pick.  I mean that they will look to trade him to pick up some draft capital to replace it with.  I've always undershot everyone's expectations on trades here too.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sorry, I wasn't saying he's worth a second round pick.  I mean that they will look to trade him to pick up some draft capital to replace it with.  I've always undershot everyone's expectations on trades here too.  

MKnight may have been talking about Skins212689’s thought that Kerrigan is still worth a 2nd. I’m not sure that’s true anymore especially bc he’s coming off a few injuries this year and a down year.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

he's a liability how?

This year wasnt a good year.for a player with his cap #

rather cut him and go after cb or safety since we will have Chase Young.

also we will prob be a 4-3 team

foster will be mlb...sweat and anderson on the outside

I like our bamas boys ionnadis and young as as our dlinemen

tim settle also will be good for rotation

Edited by Vladimir L

41 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

This year wasnt a good year.for a player with his cap #

rather cut him and go after cb or safety since we will have Chase Young.

also we will prob be a 4-3 team

foster will be mlb...sweat and anderson on the outside

I like our bamas boys ionnadis and young as as our dlinemen

tim settle also will be good for rotation

You can’t rely on Reuben Foster to be a starter coming off his horrible knee injury. Anderson & Sweat are not 4-3 OLbs, they are 4-3 DEs. People complain about them having to cover a little bit as 3-4 OLBs, as 4-3 OLBs, they’d be in coverage 60 to 70% of the game depending on who they play that week.

If they don’t make upgrades to the LB corps then their 4-3 LBs will look like this:

SLB: Holcomb, Foster? Anderson as a reserve? DE/SLB? I don’t know TBH

MLB: Bostic, Foster?

WLB: SDH, JLC

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You can’t rely on Reuben Foster to be a starter coming off his horrible knee injury. Anderson & Sweat are not 4-3 OLbs, they are 4-3 DEs. People complain about them having to cover a little bit as 3-4 OLBs, as 4-3 OLBs, they’d be in coverage 60 to 70% of the game depending on who they play that week.

If they don’t make upgrades to the LB corps then their 4-3 LBs will look like this:

SLB: Holcomb, Foster? Anderson as a reserve? DE/SLB? I don’t know TBH

MLB: Bostic, Foster?

WLB: SDH, JLC

In a 4-3 Hamilton, Holcomb, Bostic, and Foster are your cover guys the rest should be rushing or blitzing. 

Edited by Skins212689