What Happens to Ryan Kerrigan Now?

MKnight82

7 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

depends if he will take less money. guy was invisible this year.

Less money would mean a contract reconstruction for Kerrigan meaning probably an extension too. I would hope they don’t do that, but if Dan has any say about it he’ll want to do it.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Less money would mean a contract reconstruction for Kerrigan meaning probably an extension too. I would hope they don’t do that, but if Dan has any say about it he’ll want to do it.

he can stay on as a backup pass rusher. he needs to be used like sean lee for us. 

46 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

he can stay on as a backup pass rusher. he needs to be used like sean lee for us. 

I was gonna say there’s nothing wrong with him being in Chase young’s ear. That Strahan at the end of his road role leader. A 4-3 could be good for Ryan. Running straight to the QB not dropping back as much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I was gonna say there’s nothing wrong with him being in Chase young’s ear. That Strahan at the end of his road role leader. A 4-3 could be good for Ryan. Running straight to the QB not dropping back as much. 

Yeah, but he’s actually have to play more run defense which has been an issue for him for years.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but he’s actually have to play more run defense which has been an issue for him for years.

Yeah I mean he’s lost a step. But I do think he can still contribute. I think this defense was so streaky because of coaching. I think Kerrigan can still play and maybe with the youth and breaks he can be re energigized

• Like 1

Absolutely look to trade Kerrigan. Realistically, given the down season and the injuries and the contract, he’s never going to bring back anything close to what we would have gotten this time last year.

But I’d be looking for a mid-late 3rd for him. And I really think a team like BAL, NE, LAR, KC, etc. should jump all over that. Especially if they could get him to extend/re-structure on a more reasonable deal and reduce that first year cap hit. He’s a reliable, productive, sure-thing known quantity. And I think he’s probably got a couple 8-10 sack seasons left in him, at least in a better scheme than the one we’ve employed of late. 

Absolutely, absolutely no on trading Jonathan Allen. That guy is the living, breathing embodiment of what we want/need in terms of attitude and character on our defense. Rivera is going to love that dude, and I think he’s one of the most important players on the team in terms of setting the tone for the defense. Ridding ourselves of long-time veterans like Kerrigan (admittedly probably a good but quiet voice) and Norman/Swearinger (bad voices) will give these younger guys the ability to take full ownership of the defense, along with Rivera and Wilks of course. 

I understand the reasoning, as only two of Greek/Payne/Allen can start or play at one time. But as mentioned above, you need depth on the OL. Each of those guys should be able to play about 2/3 of the snaps — and that’s before even considering snaps lost to injury — so there’s really no need to bail out on any of them. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Absolutely look to trade Kerrigan. Realistically, given the down season and the injuries and the contract, he’s never going to bring back anything close to what we would have gotten this time last year.

But I’d be looking for a mid-late 3rd for him. And I really think a team like BAL, NE, LAR, KC, etc. should jump all over that. Especially if they could get him to extend/re-structure on a more reasonable deal and reduce that first year cap hit. He’s a reliable, productive, sure-thing known quantity. And I think he’s probably got a couple 8-10 sack seasons left in him, at least in a better scheme than the one we’ve employed of late. 

Absolutely, absolutely no on trading Jonathan Allen. That guy is the living, breathing embodiment of what we want/need in terms of attitude and character on our defense. Rivera is going to love that dude, and I think he’s one of the most important players on the team in terms of setting the tone for the defense. Ridding ourselves of long-time veterans like Kerrigan (admittedly probably a good but quiet voice) and Norman/Swearinger (bad voices) will give these younger guys the ability to take full ownership of the defense, along with Rivera and Wilks of course. 

I understand the reasoning, as only two of Greek/Payne/Allen can start or play at one time. But as mentioned above, you need depth on the OL. Each of those guys should be able to play about 2/3 of the snaps — and that’s before even considering snaps lost to injury — so there’s really no need to bail out on any of them. 

Allen, Ioannidis and Payne already play about 2/3 of the game each or however that breaks down. They split time between them.

If we switch to the 4-3, it’s still my opinion that they’d probably have Allen play LDE on run downs and then rotate him, Ioannidis and Payne on passing downs as they do now. That means that Allen will only be playing 4-3 LDE like 1/4 of the game, 1/3 of the at most. 

I could see the Patriots wanting Kerrigan but I don’t think the other teams you listed would. The Rams have Clay Matthews at LOLB. The Chiefs have Suggs now at LDE. Baltimore doesn’t trade for other team’s vets very often unless they have a glaring hole and I’m not sure they do. They like the young guys they have and will probably draft another guy early. 

I actually have trouble believing that Kerrigan is tradable with his current price tag, same with Josh Norman. Brice should have traded both guys for anything before the trade deadline this year to a team that thought they were a playoff team but needed a corner or a pass rusher at the time. 

The offseaon though is a different animal bc of the draft and all the free agents that are available. Teams would rather draft a player or just sign a different one rather then trade for and pay for a $14million soon to be 32-year old pass rusher coming off a down year or a 32-year old corner who costs $15.5 million and is also coming off a down year.

I don’t see how either are tradable.

Edited by turtle28

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We could probably get another year out of Kerrigan then pick up a 3rd or 4th Comp pick when he leaves in FA the following year.

Incidentally, Reuben Foster played mostly WLB as a 49er, so I’d be expecting him to play there for us.

I would love them to make a move up for Kenneth Murray or Dylan Moses (if he declares) to play MLB, as I think that’s a huge (and important) hole for us. Easier to do if they trade Trent, so I guess we’ll have to stay tuned on that one.

I don’t have any great ideas for SLB. I like what Josh Bynes has done with the Ravens, and he played for Wilks in Arizona, maybe he’d be an option? Thomas Davis would be an obvious option, but he’s gotta be about 1000 years old at this point. If we’re not looking at guys with ties to Rivera, Jamie Collins would be a solid veteran option — but it’s always scary to throw money at a guy Belichick is willing to let walk away. 

I think there’s a real chance they’d try to have Ryan Anderson drop a few pounds and play as the SLB in the base alignment. In the nickel, he’d be out obviously. It’s not an ideal fit, but they can’t address everything in one offseason. 

I see Holcomb and SDH as backups, personally. I’m fine with them playing if we have injuries, but I think Reuben is clearly superior when he’s healthy and I think they really need a big-time player at the MLB spot. Rivera has made his mark with Kuechly, I think we need someone to give us something approaching that level of production at that spot. 

@e16bball Foster is a wild card, biggest question mark on this team bc of the knee injury he suffered last offseason. We can't count on him, we have to treat this offseason as if whatever we get from him is gravy.

Having Holcomb and SDH as back ups sounds nice in theory but it's probably a luxury we can't afford at least not this upcoming season.

If we move to a 4-3, we are going to need the 3-4 ILBs we have now and a few more to fill those 6 spots. 

And why would we want a soon to be a 31-year old Josh Bynes over the guys we have that are younger, developing  and have more of a future on this young team?

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I actually have trouble believing that Kerrigan is tradable with his current price tag, same with Josh Norman.

Norman is untradeable.

Kerrigan is one year removed from back-to-back 13 sack, Pro Bowl seasons. He had a rough year, but he closed with a flourish (3.5 sacks in his last 3 games). I think teams will look at the leap Preston Smith made after getting away from Manusky and figure they can still get some quality play out of Kerrigan for another couple seasons. I expect he’d fit easily into any locker room, which is another consideration that would hold significant weight with good teams especially. 

The fit with New England is obvious, he’s clearly a Belichick type addition. The Ravens may lose Judon, and even if they keep him, they need another pass-rusher. They were already sniffing around Kerrigan at the deadline apparently. The Rams may lose Fowler, and if they do, all they have is Clay Matthews. Which would be a nightmare for them. Suggs is pretty clearly going to retire after the season, which would leave KC with Frank Clark and a big bag of mediocrity as pass-rushers as they try to strike during the Mahomes rookie contract. Houston would be another option, they now have a gaping hole across from Mercilus where Clowney used to be — and they’re last among playoff teams in sacks. Even Chicago, they had to watch Mack get double and triple-teamed all season because Leonard Floyd can’t threaten QBs from the other OLB spot. If they’re looking to get back to elite defensive status, they need another pass-rusher too.

Anyway, you can name pretty much any team that has aspirations of competing but doesn’t have multiple quality pass-rushers. They’d all be interested in Kerrigan, I’d think.

And I don’t think the contract is that bad. It’s definitely pricey, but it’s only a one-year commitment. Plus, given his age and his “expiring contract” status, he’d be an obvious candidate for a team-friendly extension to spread out the cap hit.

Edited by e16bball

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball Foster is a wild card, biggest question mark on this team bc of the knee injury he suffered last offseason. We can't count on him, we have to treat this offseason as if whatever we get from him is gravy.

Having Holcomb and SDH as back ups sounds nice in theory but it's probably a luxury we can't afford at least not this upcoming season.

If we move to a 4-3, we are going to need the 3-4 ILBs we have now and a few more to fill those 6 spots. 

And why would we want a soon to be a 31-year old Josh Bynes over the guys we have that are younger, developing  and have more of a future on this young team?

Because I don’t think those guys are any good. Not good enough to start on a quality defense anyway.

And I don’t think they’re physical enough to play SLB at any sort of passable level. They’re both undersized MLB/WLB types who need to be kept clean. They couldn’t hold up on the strong side, with TEs and pulling OL getting their hands on them in the run game. 

Edited by e16bball