Or in the SB Era rather.

One's that come to mind for me are:

1973 Dolphins

1976 Steelers

1985 Bears

2000 Ravens

2002 Buccaneers

2015 Broncos

For me personally, I think it comes down to the 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens.

I think you have to add in the old Green Bay Packers team and also the old NY Giants team. They both dominated their eras.

4 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Or in the SB Era rather.

One's that come to mind for me are:

1973 Dolphins

1976 Steelers

1985 Bears

2000 Ravens

2002 Buccaneers

2015 Broncos

For me personally, I think it comes down to the 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens.

Were the 2015 Broncos better than the 2014 Seahawks? 

23 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

I'll go a bit further and ask if the 2014 Seahawks were better than the 2013 version?  I've always felt that the 2013 Seahawks were the peak of the "Legion of Boom".

You're probably right about that.  I'm kind of lumping them together. 

2013-2014 Seahawaks or 2015 Broncos?

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

Between the two, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on the 2015 Broncos over the 2013 Seahawks defense...especially when you incorporated the special teams aspect of it all.  Denver had one of the top pass rushing defenses the league had ever seen, but the Seahawks were, over all, the most suffocating styles of defense the modern passing league had ever competed against.

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

I would put the 2015 Broncos over the 2013/2014 Seahawks. You have to look at the context of those entire teams: the Seahawks during those years had a Pro-Bowl QB in Russell Wilson and a power running game with Marshawn Lynch. An offense that was good and could control the game and grind out steady drives.

The 2015 Broncos had the corpse of Peyton Manning, one of the leagues worst O-lines and an offense that was good for maybe one drive a game. That defense single handedly won games for them that season. QB's like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady looked like they had PTSD after playing them. To me they just seemed to strike fear in a way that the Seahawks defenses didn't.

54 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

00 Ravens.  

I mean...they dominated all year and won a SB with arguably the worst SB-winning QB ever.  Even 2nd year Big Ben and the corpse of Peyton were better than Dilfer.  

Second year Ben actually played fantastically in the 2005 postseason minus the SB.

5 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I would put the 2015 Broncos over the 2013/2014 Seahawks. You have to look at the context of those entire teams: the Seahawks during those years had a Pro-Bowl QB in Russell Wilson and a power running game with Marshawn Lynch. An offense that was good and could control the game and grind out steady drives.

The 2015 Broncos had the corpse of Peyton Manning, one of the leagues worst O-lines and an offense that was good for maybe one drive a game. That defense single handedly won games for them that season. QB's like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady looked like they had PTSD after playing them. To me they just seemed to strike fear in a way that the Seahawks defenses didn't.

Seattle also beat a better offense in the SB, and were most impressive during the regular season.

I get what you're saying with the running game, but it doesn't matter since we are talking about defenses, and what they have been able to do.

From profootballfocus :

" Above are the unit grades for each team, as well as how those grades rank among all NFL defenses of the PFF era (again, 2007–2011 only). The Broncos clearly have the advantage in run defense, while the Seahawks’ secondary was unrivaled. The pass rush for each team was outstanding, so we’re going to have to dig a little deeper to get a better picture.

The league average for points per game for 2013 and 2015 was 23.1 points per game. When we look at how often both defenses allowed more than that league average, the Seahawks come out ahead. Seattle only gave up more than 23.1 points twice in 19 games, while the Broncos did it four times. The Seahawks yielded just 20 touchdowns on 990 plays compared to 29 for Denver on 1,033. At their worst, they both gave up 34 points, but the problem with using points allowed as a measuring stick is the fact that it can be impacted by their respective offenses.

When it comes to yardage, the 2015 Broncos outshine the 2013 Seahawks. Denver never give up 400 yards of offense in a game, while Seattle did twice—both, however, gave up an average of 4.4 yards per defensive play. So, clearly Denver’s offense was negatively impacting their defensive scoring metrics at times.

With everything else seemingly a wash, we’ll look at when both defenses were at their very best—this is where the Seahawks really shine. In the 2013 season, Seattle held seven of their opponents under 10 points, while the 2015 Broncos pulled off that feat just once. They also held seven opponents under 250 total yards, while the Broncos only did that three times. And then, when you take the most dominant performance from each—which coincidentally both occurred in Super Bowls—the 2013 Seahawks once again have the edge. Seattle held the highest-scoring offense of all-time (the 2013 Broncos, coincidentally) to a measly eight points, 306 total yards, and scored as many points on their own as the Broncos did offensively in Super Bowl XLVIII.

There is no shame in being the second-best defense in the PFF era, but the 2013 Seahawks still reign supreme."

It's very close so I would put them both in this thread

Archived