Dave Gettleman and the New York Giants

ny92mike

14 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Dead money can stick around one to two seasons depending on when the player is released or traded.  For example, Patrick Omameh was signed in 2018, released the same year accumulating 2.5 million in 2018 and 3 million in 2019.  This can be said for several of these like Eli Apple and Damon Harrison so dead money does matter and when you've accumulated that much it's just poor cap management.  So basically, the team is paying for players to play on another roster.  They were also forced to restructure some of these contracts to free up cap space.

The mess he had is exaggerated, he didn't need to switch to a 34 defense and his big issue with the offense was the line, which he's done nothing in terms of improving it.  His free agent signings and draft picks invested in that line hasn't worked out or will be free agents this year, like Mike Remmers.  Basically starting from scratch yet again.  No reason to blow the team up like he did and trading players that you sign the same year to huge extensions burns bridges to the point players aren't willing to sign with teams like this.  

I posted more than just the dead money...his trading decisions definitely favored the other team and most of those trades that acquired additional picks were just used to trade away to get higher picks.  

Most of us wanted Solder at the time because he was the only "true" left tackle in that free agency, and Flowers was clearly not the answer.  I don't think anyone was advocating to make him the highest paid tackle at the time of his signing.  

You make some really good points, but I have few side bars:

• The mess he inherited is not exaggerated. He did compounded are bad cap space by overpaying players, many of which are completely average. 
  • Hernandez and Zeitler are keepers. Solder has been awful, in large part to his contract. I'm pretty sure he's going try and spend top dollar on either a combo of Blythe/McGovern+Conklin. Like big money. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Conklin, but he's likely going to cost Lane Johnson money after the season he had, expect DG or another OT desperate team to make Conklin one of the highest paid OT in the league. He's probably going to get a contract in the 5yr/$75-80mil area. I don't mind. Conklin has been really good this year. The real question is do they also wanna pay a OC top 5-10 money as well? Assuming Conklin signs for the 5yr/~$80M, his ~$16M APY added with the ~$10M it would take to to sign McGovern/Blythe as well. That's roughly going to be close to 17-18M of our cap room (according to OTC). 
  • Cory Littleton is the guy I really want on Defense. 
  • Another under the radar guy I really want for the Defense is Jordan Jenkins from the Jets. He has turned into a quality pass rusher. Him, Golden, and (insert third pass rusher through either the draft, FA, or internal development) could make a good unit with our D-Line keeping lineman off of them. 
  • Would anyone be terribly mad if the Giants spent that #4 pick on Okudah? That kid is special. 
Edited by YogiBiz

I really dont want to get into who we are looking at Free Agency wise just yet. Reason being I wanna see what coaching staff they bring and see what it is they are bringing as far type of offense and defence. I really hope we switch back to a 4-3 but that is in wait and see mode. I do think the obvious FA we unfortunately will be pay top dollar to is Jack Conklin. But i will say this about him, the man is an absolute stalwart of a tackle. Another guy if the price is right is Ngakuoe from Jacksonville on the defensive side of the ball. But like i said i wanna see where this is when they bring in the new coaching staff.... Speaking of which, if u guys saw today.. Matt Rhule turned down an interview with Cleveland. 

Edited by Giants4eva

14 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I really dont want to get into who we are looking at Free Agency wise just yet. Reason being I wanna see what coaching staff they bring and see what it is they are bringing as far type of offense and defence. I really hope we switch back to a 4-3 but that is in wait and see mode. I do think the obvious FA we unfortunately will be pay top dollar to is Jack Conklin. But i will say this about him, the man is an absolute stalwart of a tackle. Another guy if the price is right is Ngakuoe from Jacksonville on the defensive side of the ball. But like i said i wanna see where this is when they bring in the new coaching staff.... Speaking of which, if u guys saw today.. Matt Rhule turned down an interview with Cleveland. 

I agree, talking specifics at this point is probably not worth it.  But I will say that I think an absolute must is that we come away with pass rushing and offensive line help in free agency.  We just need so much help in those areas that we cant depend on only the draft to fix those issues if we hope to compete next year.  

I like both Littleton and Yannick.  If we stay 3-4, I would rather throw money at Chris Jones than LW.  Ogletree isn’t a starter. Mayo isn’t a starter. Connelly looked good through three games, but we have had historically awful LB over the last decade and he tore his knee up.  I am not counting on him coming back and being like Keuchly.  We should keep Golden if we stay 3-4.  He has been great for us. 

I don’t trust DG with FA though.

4 minutes ago, Kodaraw said:

I like both Littleton and Yannick.  If we stay 3-4, I would rather throw money at Chris Jones than LW.  Ogletree isn’t a starter. Mayo isn’t a starter. Connelly looked good through three games, but we have had historically awful LB over the last decade and he tore his knee up.  I am not counting on him coming back and being like Keuchly.  We should keep Golden if we stay 3-4.  He has been great for us. 

I don’t trust DG with FA though.

Neither do i. Littleton is a full on baller. If we switch to 4-3 they definitly have to throw the kitchen sink at him. I watched him in a few games this year and he is lights out. Imagine if they end up with Littleton, Connelly and Isaiah Simmons in the draft. That would be a nice trio if they revert back to a 4-3

18 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Watched DG's press conference. We really are never going to win anything with him here. And watch, he's going to take Derrick Brown at 4.

Damn it was that bad? At least Mara put a shot across his bow about improving his batting average and Tisch is going to get more involved 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

What did the clown say now?

5 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Damn it was that bad? At least Mara put a shot across his bow about improving his batting average and Tisch is going to get more involved 

He barely said anything of substance. Doubled down on his ****ty moves (trading for Williams) and made vague half promises he would get better without backing it up with anything other than "we hired computer guys, software".

Things may actually be better behind the scenes, and from clarification later, they have brought in more analytics folks and revamped their entire scouting software (they hired software engineers to most likely implement a new database backend and frontend, hence the "computer guys" comment). But, Gettleman could not articulate that. He's not good in front of the media, which makes me think that is exactly why he never goes in front of them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He barely said anything of substance. Doubled down on his ****ty moves (trading for Williams) and made vague half promises he would get better without backing it up with anything other than "we hired computer guys, software".

Things may actually be better behind the scenes, and from clarification later, they have brought in more analytics folks and revamped their entire scouting software (they hired software engineers to most likely implement a new database backend and frontend, hence the "computer guys" comment). But, Gettleman could not articulate that. He's not good in front of the media, which makes me think that is exactly why he never goes in front of them. 

Saw the whole thing from beginning to end and he just reaffirmed to me as a fan that he is a complete moron. That Boston accent with him is beyond annoying too. He truly is stuck in an older mentality about the game as a whole. Love the comment "well see how the puppies come along"... Are u a professional or a total dumba--???