Dave Gettleman and the New York Giants

ny92mike

I just don't get how you guys don't take into consideration what happened before DG got here. Reese spent biig time money on OV, Snacks, Jackrabbit and JPP all in one offseason. Their early returns were good but by the time Reese was out, they still had YEARS on their contracts and were not producing up to their value. The salary cap situation is bad this year but freed up next year, when we are finally ready to make the next jump. 

Of course DG is going to say he believed we could compete right away but this was always a rebuild and almost every big move he made was to get us to this offseason. Yes, signing OBJ to then trade him is a bad look. Yes, missing on Solder and Omemah hurts. This offseason is the make or break for him. Does he make the right FA signings with the money he has available to him? Does he make the right picks in this year's draft? And do his picks in the previous two drafts make the jump? If the answers to those are no, he's going to be gone but there was no reason to fire him when the plan was always to get to this point. 

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

I just don't get how you guys don't take into consideration what happened before DG got here. Reese spent biig time money on OV, Snacks, Jackrabbit and JPP all in one offseason. Their early returns were good but by the time Reese was out, they still had YEARS on their contracts and were not producing up to their value. The salary cap situation is bad this year but freed up next year, when we are finally ready to make the next jump. 

Of course DG is going to say he believed we could compete right away but this was always a rebuild and almost every big move he made was to get us to this offseason. Yes, signing OBJ to then trade him is a bad look. Yes, missing on Solder and Omemah hurts. This offseason is the make or break for him. Does he make the right FA signings with the money he has available to him? Does he make the right picks in this year's draft? And do his picks in the previous two drafts make the jump? If the answers to those are no, he's going to be gone but there was no reason to fire him when the plan was always to get to this point. 

I’m on my phone so forgive the brevity... 

-Refused to trade LC and then let him walk

-Jonathan Stewart, Patrick Omameh, etc. 

-Traded Snacks, the best run stuffer in league, for a fifth, then trades a 3 and 4 for a lesser run stuffer AFTER drafting BJ Hill and Dexter Lawrence. 

-Cut Jackrabbit instead of trading him at deadline (can’t entirely fault him, but writing was on wall that he wouldn’t be back) 

-Ogletree trade was awful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kodaraw said:

-Traded Snacks, the best run stuffer in league, for a fifth, then trades a 3 and 4 for a lesser run stuffer AFTER drafting BJ Hill and Dexter Lawrence. 

-Cut Jackrabbit instead of trading him at deadline (can’t entirely fault him, but writing was on wall that he wouldn’t be back) 

That Golden Tate contract...

4 hours ago, Kodaraw said:

All valid points except Collins.  Gettleman addressed this and said the best offer he got for LC was a 4th.  We'll most likely receive a 3rd round comp pick for losing him, so I think that was actually a decent move.  

I get it he's made bad moves.  But I also think that a couple of his moves we're forced because of what Reese and McAdoo left behind.  Not only was it a talent depleted team, but the coach lost control of the locker room.  That's why I think guys like Stewart were bought in, and Collins and Snacks (not malcontents, but well known outspoken individuals) were let go.  Jenkins forced his way out of here too.  Nothing he can do about that.  

It's easy to sit here and pick apart the bad moves he has, and there have been a few.  It really is odd that when it comes to his good moves it really comes down to drafting, and what it comes to his bad moves it comes down to the NFL level.  I also think, and what no one else seems to be saying, is that a lot of people complain about DG because he's very easy to dislike with his personality.  

I'm not sitting here defending him, but he has not been as bad as some people on this board have made him out to be. 

• Like 1

Defending him or not I can't stand the guy.  

The only thing imo that he's done right since being here is draft well, but even that can be questioned.  I'm personally not a fan of how he trades draft picks.  The Leonard Williams trade should have been enough to get him fired, after the ridiculous contract extension to Odell only to trade him away just to sign Tate, that at the end of the day it would have been cheaper to just keep Odell. 

Let's not pretend that what he was given coming in was a horrible situation.  Our defense was better when it was a 43 defense and the hog mollies for the offensive line consisted of Solder, who clearly hasn't worked out.  Patrick that couldn't even stay on the roster for a full season after signing a 3 year deal.  Will Hernandez with a top second round pick, who can't pull or block in the second level at all.  We had several potential starters at center and he landed the worst one imo.  Traded for a RG that was underperforming and still has not convinced me that he's the answer at RG.  Mike Remmers is a free agent.

We literally are starting over yet again on offensive line as we currently have 5 under contract going into 2020.  Daniel Jones and Barkley his two pride and joy pieces are being crippled because of the offensive line.  Why can't we actually focus on fixing this issue.  

The man is a buffon and his reasoning for doing things like the Williams trade just confirms this.

We're stuck with him, unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Defending him or not I can't stand the guy.  

The only thing imo that he's done right since being here is draft well, but even that can be questioned.  I'm personally not a fan of how he trades draft picks.  The Leonard Williams trade should have been enough to get him fired, after the ridiculous contract extension to Odell only to trade him away just to sign Tate, that at the end of the day it would have been cheaper to just keep Odell. 

Let's not pretend that what he was given coming in was a horrible situation.  Our defense was better when it was a 43 defense and the hog mollies for the offensive line consisted of Solder, who clearly hasn't worked out.  Patrick that couldn't even stay on the roster for a full season after signing a 3 year deal.  Will Hernandez with a top second round pick, who can't pull or block in the second level at all.  We had several potential starters at center and he landed the worst one imo.  Traded for a RG that was underperforming and still has not convinced me that he's the answer at RG.  Mike Remmers is a free agent.

We literally are starting over yet again on offensive line as we currently have 5 under contract going into 2020.  Daniel Jones and Barkley his two pride and joy pieces are being crippled because of the offensive line.  Why can't we actually focus on fixing this issue.  

The man is a buffon and his reasoning for doing things like the Williams trade just confirms this.

We're stuck with him, unfortunately.

I'm sorry but this is such a clearly biased opinion.  1) It is not cheaper to keep Odell.   He's making significantly more money that Tate.  2) Yes, he's had his whiffs, but Zietler graded out as the 17th best offensive lineman in the league this year.  Not guard, lineman.  You can kill Gettleman for his whiffs, fine, but that's not one of them.  

6 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

I'm sorry but this is such a clearly biased opinion.  1) It is not cheaper to keep Odell.   He's making significantly more money that Tate.  2) Yes, he's had his whiffs, but Zietler graded out as the 17th best offensive lineman in the league this year.  Not guard, lineman.  You can kill Gettleman for his whiffs, fine, but that's not one of them.  

Do the math...be sure to include the 16 million in dead money generated by trading Odell.

2 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

All valid points except Collins.  Gettleman addressed this and said the best offer he got for LC was a 4th.  We'll most likely receive a 3rd round comp pick for losing him, so I think that was actually a decent move.  

I get it he's made bad moves.  But I also think that a couple of his moves we're forced because of what Reese and McAdoo left behind.  Not only was it a talent depleted team, but the coach lost control of the locker room.  That's why I think guys like Stewart were bought in, and Collins and Snacks (not malcontents, but well known outspoken individuals) were let go.  Jenkins forced his way out of here too.  Nothing he can do about that.  

It's easy to sit here and pick apart the bad moves he has, and there have been a few.  It really is odd that when it comes to his good moves it really comes down to drafting, and what it comes to his bad moves it comes down to the NFL level.  I also think, and what no one else seems to be saying, is that a lot of people complain about DG because he's very easy to dislike with his personality.  

I'm not sitting here defending him, but he has not been as bad as some people on this board have made him out to be. 

He decided what little talent we did have he was going to get rid of it.  Plus he brags about loving the hogmollies, if this was the case the offensive line would have been fixed by now. I am confused by the direction he goes in,  if you are going to get rid of JPP and his contract why take on Ogletree contract. 

Gettleman is going to have a good draft (probably would have had a great draft is we kept our 3rd pick), it is hard not have a good draft when you are constantly picking in the top 6. I just don't trust his free agent decisions.

The big spending that Reese did worked, we got  to the playoffs if our wideouts would have stepped up their games and caught the balls Eli was throwing we would have had a nice playoff run. In the end Mcadoo was not head coaching material and Mcadoo was not Reese's pick to be coach, the owners wanted Mcadoo.

• Like 1

Just now, Gmen19851 said:

Which is now off the books

So I wasn't presenting you with a biased opinion.

Look man...love the man if you like but I think anyone you put in that chair would have done a better job than how he's currently handled this franchise;  From his free agency additions, trades, draft selections and most importantly salary cap management.  I also believe it's going to be difficult signing players without having to overpay for them because he doesn't honor their contracts.  Player's pay attention to this stuff and would prefer to sign with a team that gives them a little more reassurance that when they move their family to town that they aren't packing up and moving before the season is over.    

Just not a fan of much of anything he's done and continue to believe he isn't the right person for the job. 

8 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

He decided what little talent we did have he was going to get rid of it.  Plus he brags about loving the hogmollies, if this was the case the offensive line would have been fixed by now. I am confused by the direction he goes in,  if you are going to get rid of JPP and his contract why take on Ogletree contract. 

Gettleman is going to have a good draft (probably would have had a great draft is we kept our 3rd pick), it is hard not have a good draft when you are constantly picking in the top 6. I just don't trust his free agent decisions.

The big spending that Reese did worked, we got  to the playoffs if our wideouts would have stepped up their games and caught the balls Eli was throwing we would have had a nice playoff run. In the end Mcadoo was not head coaching material and Mcadoo was not Reese's pick to be coach, the owners wanted Mcadoo.

I'd take Reese in a heartbeat over what we currently have.  Gettleman should be scouting college players and not running a franchise.

8 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

What talent?  Am I missing something?  Landon Collins is one of the most overrated players in the league and the Giants we're absolutely right for letting him walk for that kind of money.  Same thing with snacks, who sure, is a great run stuffer but is due to count 12 million against the cap next year.  

And no, the big spending that Reese did didn't work.  Being good for 1 season isn't working.  Reese whiffed on draft after draft and tried to cover it up with big spending.  This is the nfl though and eventually you need depth.  That doesn't happened when you don't have a good draft for 7 years and spending can only hide so much.   

Again, I'm not defending Gettleman, I just think the hate has gone a little too far because of the person he is and not the job he has done.  I will say this though.  This is his offseason.  If the team doesn't make significant strides in the next year then its time to go.  

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'd take Reese in a heartbeat over what we currently have.  Gettleman should be scouting college players and not running a franchise.

Look at drafts from 2011-2017.  Its ugly.  1 first round pick signed a second contract with the team. (Beckham)

2 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

Look at drafts from 2011-2017.  Its ugly.  1 first round pick signed a second contract with the team. (Beckham)

Some of those years we weren't picking anywhere close to the top 5 either....God I miss those years.

But I'll give it a look.

Edited by ny92mike