Clowney's next contract

Pastor Dillon

Clowney is in line for a big deal from someone, but should that be us?

He was the defacto pro bowl pick from our team, almost because we had the number 1 yardage D in the league, so they had to pick someone. but looking at his career, does he warrant big money?

He has played 32 games and recorded 10.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He is extremely overrated because he occasionally makes a "WOW" play.

We have already gave him over 13 million with his 5th year option for next season, but is he even worth that?

Should we work out a long term deal this off season, or let him play on that 5th year deal?

Honestly if he doesnt improve drastically and approach 10 sacks, I am good with letting him walk. He was another in a long line of bad picks and he isnt worth a 50 or 60 million dollar deal, especially when we insist at playing him as an OLB when he needs to be a 3/4 DE. 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

1 game in, I can't say, to be honest. 

Yeah. It's a make or break year for him, so not going to make judgement until his deal is up for renegotiation. 

I'll say this - when he takes over a game (which he's done before - both Jags games last year, the Bengals game last year, both games vs Oakland) he takes OVER. I don't think I've seen a guy disrupt an OL like Clowney did in those games (and I've seen every single snap JJ Watt has played as a pro).

Clowney is an alien, you don't just let aliens walk away. Way I see it, unless you've got another holdout situation, we've got him this year, next year on the 5th year option, and then we can franchise tag him before ultimately having to pay him for real. There's really no hurry for him to "breakout" statistically. Honestly I'd prefer if he'd put it off until after he gets a long term deal and maybe save us a couple bucks. Kareem Jackson can be our sack leader til then lol

Archived