BRUCE IS COMPLETELY GONE

TOUCAN

58 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Good lord- we're hiring a Coach that we actually beat this season . ! Think about that O.o

If you are going to judge a long time head coach on one season or much less, one game, then I expect you will also argue that the patriots should fire Belicheck because he lost to the dolphins.

Edited by offbyone

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Haven't looked it up yet but from what I hear, Rivera has never had two winning seasons in a row. 

Now, that's not enough to sour me on the hire, but it does raise eyebrows.

I worry that they are going for the splash hire early without trying to think of what's available.

Not surprised but saddened a bit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Haven't looked it up yet but from what I hear, Rivera has never had two winning seasons in a row. 

Now, that's not enough to sour me on the hire, but it does raise eyebrows.

Three winning seasons in nine years 

Hired Norval Turner to be his OC 

Went from 15-1 season to 6-10 despite a litany of All Pro/Pro Bowl talent 

Sub .500 record since the 15-1 season

Cronyism in hiring assistants would make Bruce and Jay blush

I'm not impressed in the slightest, and I even thought that Rivera wouldn't take the job and have better options.  I guess money talks.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm not impressed in the slightest, and I even thought that Rivera wouldn't take the job and have better options.  I guess money talks.  

Yeah, so now this gets me worried

22 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, so now this gets me worried

Super Bowl appearance. When’s the last time we had one of those? 1991-92?

Everyone can find an issue with any hire if they want to. Hell, when we hired Mike Shanahan I consistently pointed out that he had horrible defenses, bad relationships with QBs, drafted a bunch of busts and didn’t come close to winning a Super Bowl once the GM who built the Super Bowl winning teams retired in Denver and he was given full control of the roster in Denver.

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The guy had Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney as his two GMs.  

He did manage to get to a Super Bowl.

He did manage to get an MVP season out of a pretty unconventional QB. 

He managed a 5-7 record with Kyle Allen as his starting QB this season.

He took over a 2-14 team when he was hired, so I think its unfair to count his first few seasons record wise as the team was rebuilding.  Then this year Cam was out all year.  Also, last year they started 6-2 before Cam hurt his shoulder and wasn't right the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The guy had Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney as his two GMs.  

He did manage to get to a Super Bowl.

He did manage to get an MVP season out of a pretty unconventional QB. 

He managed a 5-7 record with Kyle Allen as his starting QB this season.

He took over a 2-14 team when he was hired, so I think its unfair to count his first few seasons record wise as the team was rebuilding.  Then this year Cam was out all year.  Also, last year they started 6-2 before Cam hurt his shoulder and wasn't right the rest of the year. 

Gettleman got him a roster with 8 All-Pro players that went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl, and they promptly went 6-10 the following year.  Also, there is speculation from our ESPN writers that Marty Hurney is on the list to join the front office, so there's that as well.  

If anything, I'll give him the 5-7 success with Kyle Allen, and a defense that transitioned to the 3-4.  However, the Panthers saw something that indicated that they were going to fire him and move in a different direction, which absolutely concerns me.  Especially since they gave him a pass on the 6-2 season with the Newton injury, like we gave a pass to Jay Gruden for the same thing.  

The record all goes together.  Are we going to take seasons away from Bruce Allen because he didn't have full control?  Or the team was in some sort of transition?  Ultimately, success is what matters, and while I am sure that the former owner wasn't going to hold Rivera accountable for the first year or two's record following the 2-14 season, let's also not ignore that he has a sub-.500 record after the 15-1 season either.  I really like looking at 3-4 year windows to see what things look like, and it's not an impressive time for the Panthers.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gettleman got him a roster with 8 All-Pro players that went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl, and they promptly went 6-10 the following year.  Also, there is speculation from our ESPN writers that Marty Hurney is on the list to join the front office, so there's that as well.  

If anything, I'll give him the 5-7 success with Kyle Allen, and a defense that transitioned to the 3-4.  However, the Panthers saw something that indicated that they were going to fire him and move in a different direction, which absolutely concerns me.  Especially since they gave him a pass on the 6-2 season with the Newton injury, like we gave a pass to Jay Gruden for the same thing.  

The record all goes together.  Are we going to take seasons away from Bruce Allen because he didn't have full control?  Or the team was in some sort of transition?  Ultimately, success is what matters, and while I am sure that the former owner wasn't going to hold Rivera accountable for the first year or two's record following the 2-14 season, let's also not ignore that he has a sub-.500 record after the 15-1 season either.  I really like looking at 3-4 year windows to see what things look like, and it's not an impressive time for the Panthers.  

I mean someone had to coach those players. GMs get too much credit for drafting players that become pro bowlers, head coaches don’t get enough credit for coaching 21 to 24 year old young men into good to great players.

I mean do you give Gettleman the credit for moulding and developing Cam Newton and guys like Josh Norman into the players they have become?

I can tell you one thing, the players give the credit to Rivera not Gettleman. Just listen to how they’ve spoken of Rivera since he was fired and now with the word that he will be hired in DC.