BRUCE IS COMPLETELY GONE

TOUCAN

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gettleman got him a roster with 8 All-Pro players that went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl, and they promptly went 6-10 the following year.

That happens all of the time.  Super Bowl hangover for the loser is very common.

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, there is speculation from our ESPN writers that Marty Hurney is on the list to join the front office, so there's that as well.  

source.gif

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If anything, I'll give him the 5-7 success with Kyle Allen, and a defense that transitioned to the 3-4.  However, the Panthers saw something that indicated that they were going to fire him and move in a different direction, which absolutely concerns me.

They have a new owner who didn't hire Rivera.  Owners like to control everything he wanted his own guy.

The record all goes together.  Are we going to take seasons away from Bruce Allen because he didn't have full control?

That is difficult to debate because Bruce always made it intentionally vague who was actually in control.

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ultimately, success is what matters, and while I am sure that the former owner wasn't going to hold Rivera accountable for the first year or two's record following the 2-14 season, let's also not ignore that he has a sub-.500 record after the 15-1 season either. 

Agreed, but context also matters. 

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I really like looking at 3-4 year windows to see what things look like, and it's not an impressive time for the Panthers.  

Fair, but he's also hit highs that this organization hasn't reached in 30 years.  The reality is this, if we build a good roster Ron Rivera is capable of getting to a Super Bowl.  

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That happens all of the time.  Super Bowl hangover for the loser is very common.

source.gif

They have a new owner who didn't hire Rivera.  Owners like to control everything he wanted his own guy.

That is difficult to debate because Bruce always made it intentionally vague who was actually in control.

Agreed, but context also matters. 

Fair, but he's also hit highs that this organization hasn't reached in 30 years.  The reality is this, if we build a good roster Ron Rivera is capable of getting to a Super Bowl.  

It wasn't just a Super Bowl hangover.  He had a sub .500 record following that appearance.  Sorry, but that's not just a hangover.  If you look at the whole body of work, it looks like the Super Bowl is the outlier versus otherwise, again, despite an immense level of talent on this roster post 15-1 season.  

It wasn't just a Super Bowl hangover.  He had a sub .500 record following that appearance.  Sorry, but that's not just a hangover.  If you look at the whole body of work, it looks like the Super Bowl is the outlier versus otherwise, again, despite an immense level of talent on this roster post 15-1 season.  

Who do you want Snyder to hire? 

Edited by Skins212689

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Super Bowl appearance. When’s the last time we had one of those? 1991-92?

Everyone can find an issue with any hire if they want to. Hell, when we hired Mike Shanahan I consistently pointed out that he had horrible defenses, bad relationships with QBs, drafted a bunch of busts and didn’t come close to winning a Super Bowl once the GM who built the Super Bowl winning teams retired in Denver and he was given full control of the roster in Denver.

And yet...it still remains a concern.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

And yet...it still remains a concern.

I hate it when you’re not excited about a Redskins move bc for the 12 years that I’ve known you on this forum you’ve been mostly right. So, your concerns concern me dang it! Dang it all to hell Thai!

You and Naptown are killing the damn buzz!

Just now, turtle28 said:

I hate it when you’re not excited about a Redskins move bc for the 12 years that I’ve known you on this forum you’ve been mostly right. So, your concerns concern me dang it! Dang it all to hell Thai!

20 years of Daniel Snyder ownership, while watching the Ravens, Steelers and Eagles thrive within driving distance will do that to someone.  

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I HOPE I'm wrong. But my gut is telling me that this isn't the right hire

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

20 years of Daniel Snyder ownership, while watching the Ravens, Steelers and Eagles thrive within driving distance will do that to someone.  

I get it but damn man, just at least can’t you give it a day. It’s pretty easy to find the good in Rivera but you only keep harping on the bad. Throwing praise on Gettleman and shade on Rivera is a huge stretch to make your point. 

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I HOPE I'm wrong. But my gut is telling me that this isn't the right hire

We should have just traded our entire draft to the Steelers for Tomlin. I mean, let’s me honest there are only a handful of great coaches in the NFL, the rest of the guys are good at best and mostly awful.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I get it but damn man, just at least can’t you give it a day. It’s pretty easy to find the good in Rivera but you only keep harping on the bad. Throwing praise on Gettleman and shade on Rivera is a huge stretch to make your point. 

Gettleman gave him an immensely talented roster.  And I believe that both sides play a part in things- the front office obviously has to get the talent on the team, and the coaches have to coach them up.  There isn't just one red flag for Rivera, there are a lot of them, and all of what I'm hearing from him is that he's good with discipline and the players.  I'm not hearing that he's got the greatest coaching tree, or that he isn't avoid to hire outside of his base to innovate.  I'm looking at a sub .500 record following his best season, despite some good talent on the roster.  Is there any consistency in the approach without consecutive winning seasons, or a 33% winning season shot?  And to hear that Snyder is also backing up a Brinks truck for him?  Hell, if you are going to back up the Brinks truck, let's get a young, hot shot guy in here to write his own legacy.  

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We should have just traded our entire draft to the Steelers for Tomlin. I mean, let’s me honest there are only a handful of great coaches in the NFL, the rest of the guys are good at best and mostly awful.

I'll say the same thing about Tomlin I said about Shanahan on other forums when we hired him- I was cautious because we had just gotten removed from Joe Gibbs returning from retirement and bringing his band back together, and we were doing the same with Shanahan.  But also, there hasn't been an NFL head coach who has won a Super Bowl, left that team, went to a new team and won a Super Bowl.  Why that is, I have no idea, but that's part of the history of the NFL and has over 50 Super Bowl games to back it up.  I was lukewarm on Tomlin to begin with when those rumors started, but I wouldn't want to give up anything beyond one future 1st round pick.  Certainly not #2 overall, and certainly not two #1s like the Bucs gave up for Jon Gruden last decade.