Who have we interviewed/ requested interviews with

hornbybrown

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think he has the potential to be a good coach.

His issues last go around seemed to stem from trying to be Hoodie Jr.  If he’s realized that only works for the Hoodie and had adjusted his approach, I think he’ll be fine.

Agreed. I dont think his actual coaching skills are the issue. He made Kyle Orton look competent for a second before the wheels fell off.

HOWEVER. and this is a big however. His ultimate demise was because he was power hungry and still might be which he got from being around Bill. He wanted full control of everything in DEN and if memory serves me right part of the reason he got let go was because he clashed with the front office and rubbed people the wrong way. 

If he can get over the fact that if he gets hired that its not a 'my way or the highway' situation and focus on coaching/delegating---then he will be fine.

The question is will his massive ego get in the way again at some point

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed. I dont think his actual coaching skills are the issue. He made Kyle Orton look competent for a second before the wheels fell off.

HOWEVER. and this is a big however. His ultimate demise was because he was power hungry and still might be which he got from being around Bill. He wanted full control of everything in DEN and if memory serves me right part of the reason he got let go was because he clashed with the front office and rubbed people the wrong way. 

If he can get over the fact that if he gets hired that its not a 'my way or the highway' situation and focus on coaching/delegating---then he will be fine.

The question is will his massive ego get in the way again at some point

He has taken his lumps which is an important part of development and then he has gotten back on the horse and got better as a coach. 

I agree if he tries to be bill b from day 1 it will fail, respect is earned not given  

30 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He has taken his lumps which is an important part of development and then he has gotten back on the horse and got better as a coach. 

I agree if he tries to be bill b from day 1 it will fail, respect is earned not given  

Possibly but the fact that he also pulled a shady move by bailing on the Colts just 2 years ago makes me wonder if he ever did get rid of that ego that has gotten in the way everywhere he has tried to go outside of NE

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character if you have to choose, who do you take stefkanski or McDaniels? 

If I have to choose and the staffs are equalized, I'm taking Stefanski based on perceived subsequent organizational alignment, emotional intelligence and emotional stability, perceived  thoughtful leadership and mentality, a run-first play-action dominant zone-run/pass explosive play scheme, perceived willingness to learn and work collaboratively, and reported ability to adapt. 

At the outset of the coaching search, I made it clear that I wanted an established, successful Program/Culture Leader or Builder likely from College Football. 

Stefanski has a ton of perceived and real flaws that I've made known in various posts, but if I had to bet on Stefanski or McDaniels I'd put my chips on him and not on what I perceive as the more volatile and unstable leadership model of Josh McDaniels.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think there will be a surprise interview. A college coach most likely. Jimmy will swing for the fences and try to sit down with Riley,urb or harbaugh. 

I would rather have them spend their efforts and time trying to pull Cowher out of retirement like the Raiders did with Gruden and hire Louis Riddick as the GM similar to Mayock.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

he has gotten back on the horse and got better as a coach

Better as an OC or Better as a future Head Coach and Leader?

We can't say that he's gotten better as a future Head Coach in ways that prevent the issues experienced in Denver per se. He definitely got better as an OC and witnessed more football and knowledge from Bill B.

After Denver, he coordinated the worst DVOA Offensive Efficiency Offense in the league the following year with the Rams.

Afterwards, he joined back up with the Patriots and experienced many successes as an OC with the Patriots Success washing all his mistakes away.

To me, It's a big IF to say McDaniels has changed in ways that will help him be an effective Head Coach or Culture Leader.

It's also a big IF to say Kevin Stefanski will successfully make the leap.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think there will be a surprise interview. A college coach most likely. Jimmy will swing for the fences and try to sit down with Riley,urb or harbaugh. 

Harbs is kinda interesting. Jimmy said he wants nfl experience, but didn’t specifically say he wouldn’t hire from college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

A surprise interview? Here is a name that makes sense to me on a lot of levels, and I am not counting the Cleveland connection.

Jason Garrett - late of the Dallas Cowboys.

He has had NFL success while dealing with an off the rails owner in Dallas. It is my feeling that the Cowboys really took off when they drafted Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, et al. Players of a lot more substance than splash factor - the owner's long suit.

Jason is incredibly intelligent - you don't succeed at not 1 but 2 Ivy League schools with out being so. Whether he calls his own plays or has an OC do that - the bottom line is Jason has had success in the NFL. He is NOT a rookie HC.

I'd invest the dime and the time to make a phone call gauge his level of interest .

• Like 2

With the Panthers interviewing Stefnaski on Thursday you have got to assume we are as well and that’s his day for interviews. We have only announced interviews shortly before they start. McDaniels Saturday so I would assume we will have a new coach by Sunday/Monday. I really hope we get to interview McDaniels and he doesn’t take a job before us

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

A surprise interview? Here is a name that makes sense to me on a lot of levels, and I am not counting the Cleveland connection.

He has had NFL success while dealing with an off the rails owner in Dallas. It is my feeling that the Cowboys really took off when they drafted Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, et al. Players of a lot more substance than splash factor - the owner's long suit.

Jason is incredibly intelligent - you don't succeed at not 1 but 2 Ivy League schools with out being so. Whether he calls his own plays or has an OC do that - the bottom line is Jason has had success in the NFL. He is NOT a rookie HC.

I'd invest the dime and the time to make a phone call gauge his level of interest .

I’m not opposed to this at all especially if we miss out on McDaniels and Stefnaski who both have interviews before us

7 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Weird...was literally just considering this. It seems so hard to gauge what the truth and fiction are from his time in Dallas. The team seemed solid top-to-bottom. Perhaps that was just great drafting? 🤔 That offensive line is phenomenal. But maybe it's coaching? 🤔 Really curious what others have to say about Garrett. He seemed like a good coach, smart, even-keeled, but they stuck around in the good but not great. Did he elevate them, sink them? Hmm.

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Weird...was literally just considering this. It seems so hard to gauge what the truth and fiction are from his time in Dallas. The team seemed solid top-to-bottom. Perhaps that was just great drafting? 🤔 That offensive line is phenomenal. But maybe it's coaching? 🤔 Really curious what others have to say about Garrett. He seemed like a good coach, smart, even-keeled, but they stuck around in the good but not great. Did he elevate them, sink them? Hmm.

I cant stop thinking about how much talent has been on the Cowboys teams he has had to work with and they nearly all underperformed given their talent level.

Not saying Garrett isnt a good coach, but he just got fired for not getting enough out of a super talented team for like the 3rd consecutive season in a row. Why would the Browns want that? I think hes a solid coach, but it would be far from a inspiring hire if the Browns went that route.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I cant stop thinking about how much talent has been on the Cowboys teams he has had to work with and they nearly all underperformed given their talent level.

Not saying Garrett isnt a good coach, but he just got fired for not getting enough out of a super talented team for like the 3rd consecutive season in a row. Why would the Browns want that? I think hes a solid coach, but it would be far from a inspiring hire if the Browns went that route.

Definitely looks that way. Just wondering out loud if that is what went down. Is Dak going to be better without him? Like, honestly, still don't understand exactly what is wrong with the Cowboys.

Also, some more food for thought...looked at their wins and losses this year and saw that they kicked the crap out of people a few different times but lost their eight games by a total of 48 points. Other than an early loss to NYJ (with Darnold, fwiw) and a 7-point lots to CHI, all six remaining losses were to playoff teams. They crushed every other easy team. They crushed the Rams. They split with Philly. They lost to the Saints by 2. They lost to the Patriots by 4. They looked a lot better than 8-8. 

Tayne is torn. 

Edited by NudeTayne
Tayne's gut (read: ripped abs) says no, but playing the devil's bruceb here.