Who have we interviewed/ requested interviews with

hornbybrown

Just now, candyman93 said:

Random, but with Dallas hiring McCarthy, I’m beginning to think Lincoln Riley isn’t the hot prospect the media makes him out to be.

I just think reports are coming out that he just doesn’t want to leave. You can’t blame him. He is a god on Oklahoma at the moment

• Like 1

Just now, buno67 said:

I just think reports are coming out that he just doesn’t want to leave. You can’t blame him. He is a god on Oklahoma at the moment

I hope he’s good for the long haul. He turned down the cowboys which would have been a dream scenario for him:

Do we really know exactly what happened with him? Is a lot what we're doing in here just speculating? Like, do we really even know that McDaniels is an *** and that Stefanski is this great team leader, for example? Do we know that McCarthy will bring stability to the cowboys?

There is a lot of context to each situation of where each one of these guys is and has been and a lot of blanks being filled in by folks. If you ask different people, they will give very different answers as far as their experiences with these guys.

For all we know, the Cowboys is not Riley's dream job (even if when asked about it he takes on and on). He might secretly shudder at the idea of working for Jerry Jones, even if he slobs on his knob when asked about him publicly. Lincoln Riley might just have that level of self-awareness to speak positively when in front of the camera.

For all we know, he was never even offered the job and was not ever as high on the list for Jerry Jones as McCarthy was. That doesn't mean that Riley isn't as good a coach or anything like that. It would just mean that Jerry Jones really likes McCarthy for his team right now.

Some of us assume that Riley would love to work with Baker, but maybe that isn't the case. Or if we don't hire him that said no to us interviewing him. Maybe Riley in no way wants to leave Oklahoma ever and we are just spinning our wheels  as fans trying to plug people in and establish narratives around them.

Just a thought on all this. Silly season for the Browns usually starts by about week 8, and a lot of this conjecture seems a bit like silly season. we are going off of little shreds of information, most of which has been shared to the public and thus has already been crafted to give us a particular narrative, true or not true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Do we really know exactly what happened with him? Is a lot what we're doing in here just speculating? Like, do we really even know that McDaniels is an *** and that Stefanski is this great team leader, for example? Do we know that McCarthy will bring stability to the cowboys?

In the rationalization and anticipation phase of the pending decision, it can be easy to gloss over the negatives of each candidate.

Stefanski has his. I don't think anyone that follows it closely believes Stefanski is a "great team leader" by any stretch of the imagination and in fact reports suggest that he struggled some leading the Vikings out of their early season offensive malaise and had to rely on Gary Kubiak to get their group to positive resolution. What has been verified by a wide-variety of people is that Stefanski has the Temperament, Mentality, Communication skills, and Emotional Intelligence attributes that good and great organization leaders possess. Therefore, a lot of people think he has the foundation of intra and inter-personal skills to build a sustainable leadership tenure on.

With McDaniels, based on a wide-spectrum of direct and indirect sources including respected players, respected beat writers, and trusted insiders Josh McDaniels is a verified human being that struggles with ego-mania and power-tripping when elevated to the Captain's chair (Denver and Rams) without an executive restraint. The same people characterize McDaniels as not being an effective Executive communicator and one that has difficulty getting buy-in from players at the individual and collective level instead needed a respected executive like Bill Belichick to drive the buy-in process from players. The remaining questions with McDaniels are how much of an *** is he now or has he changed?; has he been able to mature and restrain his ego?; Will he that ego-mania show itself again under pressure/high stress?; Will his other positive leadership and coaching skills outshine the negatives for a sustainable period of time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Random, but with Dallas hiring McCarthy, I’m beginning to think Lincoln Riley isn’t the hot prospect the media makes him out to be.

I think all of our eyes told us that though. The medial pushed his name heavily but just look at how his teams did against elite opponents, his only elite win was against tOSU and that was more a heroic performance by Baker Mayfield. Good college HC, possible NFL OC and that's it IMO

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Do we really know exactly what happened with him? Is a lot what we're doing in here just speculating? Like, do we really even know that McDaniels is an *** and that Stefanski is this great team leader, for example?

I know several people that have met Josh McDaniels. I was on a coaching staff where Jerry Schuplinsky was the high school head coach. I was hired on after he left, but most of the staff was the same. Nobody had anything good to say about McDaniels every time they met him. They said he's an arrogant frat boy to a T.

That doesn't mean I don't want him as a coach though. It just means he's a ******.

Do we know that McCarthy will bring stability to the cowboys?

Not at all. I don't think McCarthy was some elite HC choice. He underachieved with those Packers teams in my opinion.

There is a lot of context to each situation of where each one of these guys is and has been and a lot of blanks being filled in by folks. If you ask different people, they will give very different answers as far as their experiences with these guys.

I totally agree. We all think we know these guys with no first-hand knowledge. The only people that will really know are the people that interview them. Unfortunately for us, the people that are interviewing our future coaches are morons.

Some of us assume that Riley would love to work with Baker, but maybe that isn't the case. Or if we don't hire him that said no to us interviewing him. Maybe Riley in no way wants to leave Oklahoma ever and we are just spinning our wheels  as fans trying to plug people in and establish narratives around them.

I agree. I'd have a hard time wanting to leave Oklahoma for the NFL when I was constantly in the CFB playoff. Especially for a stressful NFL job with a nutjob owner or a bad team.

Just a thought on all this. Silly season for the Browns usually starts by about week 8, and a lot of this conjecture seems a bit like silly season. we are going off of little shreds of information, most of which has been shared to the public and thus has already been crafted to give us a particular narrative, true or not true.

Yeah we seem to be locking in on nonsense. It almost reeks of the "Garrett wants to play for the Cowboys! He won't play for the Browns!" conjecture that was going on before the draft a few years ago. Or that Mayfield was a complete punk that would be in off-field trouble all the time like Johnny Manziel.

We just have a very reactionary fan base. Some of it is warranted, but most of it is just nonsense.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

For all we know, the Cowboys is not Riley's dream job (even if when asked about it he takes on and on). He might secretly shudder at the idea of working for Jerry Jones, even if he slobs on his knob when asked about him publicly. Lincoln Riley might just have that level of self-awareness to speak positively when in front of the camera.

For all we know, he was never even offered the job and was not ever as high on the list for Jerry Jones as McCarthy was. That doesn't mean that Riley isn't as good a coach or anything like that. It would just mean that Jerry Jones really likes McCarthy for his team right now.

This

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I know several people that have met Josh McDaniels. I was on a coaching staff where Jerry Schuplinsky was the high school head coach. I was hired on after he left, but most of the staff was the same. Nobody had anything good to say about McDaniels every time they met him. They said he's an arrogant frat boy to a T.

That doesn't mean I don't want him as a coach though. It just means he's a ******.

Not at all. I don't think McCarthy was some elite HC choice. He underachieved with those Packers teams in my opinion.

I totally agree. We all think we know these guys with no first-hand knowledge. The only people that will really know are the people that interview them. Unfortunately for us, the people that are interviewing our future coaches are morons.

I agree. I'd have a hard time wanting to leave Oklahoma for the NFL when I was constantly in the CFB playoff. Especially for a stressful NFL job with a nutjob owner or a bad team.

Yeah we seem to be locking in on nonsense. It almost reeks of the "Garrett wants to play for the Cowboys! He won't play for the Browns!" conjecture that was going on before the draft a few years ago. Or that Mayfield was a complete punk that would be in off-field trouble all the time like Johnny Manziel.

We just have a very reactionary fan base. Some of it is warranted, but most of it is just nonsense.

This

With the experienced HC's gone, my worry is that we are going with the "hot coordinater" in the hopes that he can lead a team.  It's really very scary to think that we may have the exact same situation in the locker room that we did last year.  Freddie didn't show any strong leadership qualities leading up to his interview, and eventual hiring.  What he did show was an ability to call plays, and work well with Baker.  He regressed from the positives he brought to the table, and the thought is that he was overwhelmed with the other duties that a coach must endure.

To a similar degree, we haven't really seen the leadership qualities of Stefanski, or McDaniels.  They both have shown to a greater extent, the ability to call plays, and run an offense.  I don't know what the Haslam's will be looking for to see that these guys will somehow be different than Freddie?  

At least with Rivera and McCarthy there was some comfort in knowing, that they have been the leaders of a team.  Those were my 2 preferred choices, despite the fact that they have had some type of issues with their previous teams.

I will be open-minded to the hire, but I can't help but think that it's going to come down to the Haslam's being flat out lucky.  Nothing that they glean from an interview will solidify a "reason" to hire one guy or the other.  It will be pure luck....a flip of a coin will give them a better chance at getting it right.

Edited by big poppa pump

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The better coach part is not unimportant when hiring that individual to be a coach.

Also a low bar there fwiw. I think it’s largely to be determined how good of a head coach McDaniels actually is. I think that is solely based on what he has learned since his last stint.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Also a low bar there fwiw. I think it’s largely to be determined how good of a head coach McDaniels actually is. I think that is solely based on what he has learned since his last stint.

I think he has the potential to be a good coach.

His issues last go around seemed to stem from trying to be Hoodie Jr.  If he’s realized that only works for the Hoodie and had adjusted his approach, I think he’ll be fine.