Wildcard Round: VIKINGS (10-6) at Saints (13-3)

swede700

Game 17

NFL_Vikings.gif at     NFL_Saints.gif

When: 1:05 PM EST January 5th

Where: Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans, LA)

TV/Radio: FOX (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio)

Announcers: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews, Chris Myers

Coverage Map: National

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Saints - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

Just said this in the playoffs thread - Michael Thomas is going to catch like 20 passes. The pass rush will need to get home early. I think Brees is clearly showing his age this year, but definitely has enough to get it done. 

I would love to see Thielen turn in a monster game now that he is healthy.

• Like 1

I will continue to insist that this is the best matchup we could have hoped for.  I'm still not sure the Vikings will win, but this opponent gives them the best chance, as they always match up well with the Saints, unlike the Seahawks (no matter who their RBs are).  We could hope that how this playoff is set up, we could get a repeat of the 1987-88 playoffs (at least the first 2 rounds), because if they can manage to beat the Saints, I also think they have a decent chance to beat the Niners (since we don't know yet how the Niners will play in the playoffs).

All three of these can be true at once:

• The Saints are one of the best teams in the conference, with one of the best odds to represent the conference in the Super Bowl.
  • The Vikings are quite possibly the 3rd or 4th best team in the NFC, and capable of playing way past wild card weekend.
  • Kirk/Zimmer need this game for their legacies. Badly.
7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I will continue to insist that this is the best matchup we could have hoped for.  I'm still not sure the Vikings will win, but this opponent gives them the best chance, as they always match up well with the Saints, unlike the Seahawks (no matter who their RBs are).  We could hope that how this playoff is set up, we could get a repeat of the 1987-88 playoffs (at least the first 2 rounds), because if they can manage to beat the Saints, I also think they have a decent chance to beat the Niners (since we don't know yet how the Niners will play in the playoffs).

I prefer the matchup against a more stationary QB in Brees than Rodgers or Wilson. The Saints showed in their first meeting with the Falcons that if their O-Line isn't focused that Brees can be harassed. In their rematch, however, they dominated the Falcons front and also didn't give up a sack. I think the game ultimately comes down to whether the Vikings can generate pressure and disguise looks enough to get Brees off the field. The Vikings will generate points, they probably need artificial pressure from holding a lead most of the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I prefer the matchup against a more stationary QB in Brees than Rodgers or Wilson. 

That is the key point.  Zimmer's defenses have tremendously struggled against mobile QBs, especially this year.  I don't know if it's necessarily a function of the CBs inability to stay on receivers or if it's the d-lines inability to contain the QB, but that's been their main issue.  It's why the playoffs, set up as they are, set up nicely for them as a #6 seed, as neither Brees or Garappolo are tremendously mobile QBs.  They wouldn't have to face a real mobile QB until the NFCC vs. the Seahawks or Packers (as I'm fairly confident that the Eagles won't be there).  

• Like 1

There was a Brett Kollmann video a while ago showing how the Vikings defensive line rushes vertically and horizontally in layers in an attempt to keep the QB contained and eliminate escape routes. I tend to believe that when the QBs do get away from the rush it’s a coverage breakdown. and that’s understandable. When the receivers break from their designed route because the QB had to improvise, the DBs will typically be a step behind.

I am indifferent about the opponent, as I think the Vikings can beat any team in the NFL outside of the Ravens. It just depends on which team or parts of the team show up and execute. 

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 6

This needs to be the time of game Mike Zimmer dreams about.

Keep the Saints offense on the sidelines. Run down the clock. Win the field position battle. Put the crowd to sleep.

It's going to be hard to beat the Saints and Brees/Thomas/Kamara/J. Cook in a shootout. 

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228