Wildcard Round: VIKINGS (10-6) at Saints (13-3)

swede700

53 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Does anyone know why the Divisional Round doesn't follow the Wild Card format in that both AFC/NFC games are on the same days? Some teams will be disadvantaged in terms of rest (Vikings if they win will be in that boat.).

It is all about the TV ratings for the NFL. The reason for that is all about the money. They usually have NFC and AFC games split between the two days on of wild card weekend but this is not the first time that they have had NFC all one day and AFC all the other day. If I remember correctly, the last time they did wild card this way was 2015.

yeah alexander is out, hughes' participation went from full to limited to DNP... looks like jayron kearse is going to have to step up. not even sure who the backup nickel would be... holton hill? kris boyd? one of the safeties?

if there's any consolation, kearse can better match up physically vs. michael thomas.

dude practiced in full two days ago... love the move though. sherels knows the defense, is a solid insurance at nickel (boyd and hill aren't slot corners) and can cover punts since hughes was doing that. obviously it would be way better if we had hughes but love the move considering we play in two days.

• Like 1

I hope the Saints rookie punt returner from Assumption College muffs another punt in this game while Sherels, the guy the Saints cut to keep that rookie, fields all punts cleanly and takes one to the house.

I also hope that the Vikings are not planning to use Sherels as a CB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Brees over or under 500 yards?

Unless Michael Thomas gets 450 yds alone, it's a big under.  They're not very good at the WR position outside of Thomas.  The question will be who they will put in the slot, because I imagine they'll run Thomas out of the slot quite a bit now to exploit whoever is there.

Edited by swede700

For whatever it is worth:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/viewersguide200103/nfl-playoffs-wild-card-round-game-picks-bracket-schedule-odds-bold-predictions-more

"Officiating nugget: Referee Carl Cheffers' regular-season crew called the league's second-most total flags for offensive holding (68), more than twice the number called by the crew with the lowest total (Bill Vinovich, 32)."

https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nfl/saints/head-referee-picked-for-saints-vs-vikings-playoff-game/289-806dcda7-c7fb-4758-b435-a7cb2e2b50b1

Edited by VikeManDan

more than hughes and alexander being out (which is less than ideal obviously), i'm more worried by the timing of it. hughes practiced in full on wednesday so they presumably game planned as if hughes would take slot duties if alexander couldn't go. that plan went to dirt halfway through the practice sessions which means they got less reps on the new, adjusted game plan. 

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

For whatever it is worth:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/viewersguide200103/nfl-playoffs-wild-card-round-game-picks-bracket-schedule-odds-bold-predictions-more

"Officiating nugget: Referee Carl Cheffers' regular-season crew called the league's second-most total flags for offensive holding (68), more than twice the number called by the crew with the lowest total (Bill Vinovich, 32)."

https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nfl/saints/head-referee-picked-for-saints-vs-vikings-playoff-game/289-806dcda7-c7fb-4758-b435-a7cb2e2b50b1

that's actually pretty big news considering the saints were one of the most penalized teams this season, including offensive and defensive holding. 

8 minutes ago, whitehops said:

i hadn't, but i think his track is largely irrelevant as he's only reffed one of their games this season. we're also 3-0 in the last three seasons with him reffing our games.

We'll see what happens, just thought it was interesting and figured I'd share it. 

• Like 1