Redskins hire Ron Rivera as HC, Jack Del Rio as DC & Scott Turner as OC

RaidersAreOne

Not as bad of a hire as it may seem to some on the surface.  Scott Turner did solid work as a QB Coach in his short time here.  Allen was bad yet still better than he had any reason to be and Newton looked as good as he’s ever been mechanically before his shoulder injury.  It’s kind of hard to judge him on his play-calling after Rivera’s firing, the QB play was simply too bad.  

If I’m a betting man, I don’t think this works out, but it has potential.  Hopefully for their sake he’s a better redzone playcaller than Norv.  I wonder if he gets brought on to the staff too.

On 30-12-2019 at 10:59 PM, soflbillsfan said:

Outside of Belichik who was the last re-tread HC that actually made a difference in their new position? Its a safe and appealing signing in hopes of stability from an owners perspective but its not something that will randomly work for you if it didnt work for the last organization they were at. Got to go with first time HC.

Out of the top of my head in the past 20 years or so:

Belichik
Vermeil
Reeves
Carroll
Coughlin
Gruden
Reid
Dungey
Holmgren
Fox

Probably missed a bunch as well.

i would not be surprised if data would show that former HC's who had some decent succes (playoff calibre) get on average better results in their second HC gig compared to rookie HC's in their first gig. 

• Like 1