Redskins hire Ron Rivera as HC, Jack Del Rio as DC & Scott Turner as OC

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll be honest, I’m glad we didn’t. Our defense has gone from Jim Haslett to Joe Barry to Greg Manusky. It’s been hell. We badly needed something like this. 

Rivera isn’t a bad coach, but our defenses have been bad since McDermott left and were an all time bad run defense this past year with Rivera calling the plays.  I don’t know how much he’ll improve the defense but he does have a great defensive line there, which is necessary for his system

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  Just hopefully, Snyder can stop himself from injecting himself into the football side of the operation.  Just be a fan and let the football guys do what they do best.  It's what our owners (I'm a Vikings fan) do best, unlike some previous owners we've had, most notably Red McCombs.    

q3YCQlr.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  Just hopefully, Snyder can stop himself from injecting himself into the football side of the operation.  Just be a fan and let the football guys do what they do best.  It's what our owners (I'm a Vikings fan) do best, unlike some previous owners we've had, most notably Red McCombs.    

Hopeful, but not optimistic.

I was hearing folks note that Rivera was clear he didn't want personnel control, he just wanted to be working with a personnel guy/team who shared his vision and would be in a situation where if he had a disagreement with the personnel folks he could take it straight to the owner.  That's still putting more faith in Snyder to not play "Little Jimmy with his army men" than I'd be comfortable with.  Also, with Bruce Allen gone now (at least, presumably, from the Football Operations end... for now...) and Scot McCloughan gone for a little while now, who exactly are the personnel people in DC?  Are one of Doug Williams or Eric Schaeffer going to be promoted from Senior VP to President or are we now expecting Snyder to go out and hire someone from the outside for the position?

On a side note, as soon as Cleveland lets go of the rest of Kitchens' staff, I'd expect Steve Wilks to find his way to Washington pretty damn quick.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Hopeful, but not optimistic.

I was hearing folks note that Rivera was clear he didn't want personnel control, he just wanted to be working with a personnel guy/team who shared his vision and would be in a situation where if he had a disagreement with the personnel folks he could take it straight to the owner.  That's still putting more faith in Snyder to not play "Little Jimmy with his army men" than I'd be comfortable with.  Also, with Bruce Allen gone now (at least, presumably, from the Football Operations end... for now...) and Scot McCloughan gone for a little while now, who exactly are the personnel people in DC?  Are one of Doug Williams or Eric Schaeffer going to be promoted from Senior VP to President or are we now expecting Snyder to go out and hire someone from the outside for the position?

On a side note, as soon as Cleveland lets go of the rest of Kitchens' staff, I'd expect Steve Wilks to find his way to Washington pretty damn quick.

AJ Smith's son Kyle runs the draft, and it's possible that he or Schaeffer are the ones who get elevated.  

As for me, I am not excited about Ron Rivera, and feel we are not doing this the right way coming for a top-down purging of the system.  When there is rot in the Redskins organization, everything needs to be evaluated- front office folks, business folks, coaches, players, trainers, etc.  That we went with a head coach first means that Snyder doesn't quite recognize the issues at play.  

As for Rivera himself, I see him as very mediocre, but hey, maybe that's all the Redskins can get- even though the rumor is that Snyder is going to pay him very well.  I'm not impressed that he's had three winning seasons in nine years.  I'm not impressed that he followed up the 15-1 season with a 6-10 season, and in the four years after 15-1, he has a losing record despite an extremely talented roster.  I'm not impressed that he hired Norval Turner as his offensive coordinator two years ago, and apparently his cronyism in assistant coaching hires runs deeper than Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden's Tampa Bay connection.  

• Like 1

Outside of Belichik who was the last re-tread HC that actually made a difference in their new position? Its a safe and appealing signing in hopes of stability from an owners perspective but its not something that will randomly work for you if it didnt work for the last organization they were at. Got to go with first time HC.

Edited by soflbillsfan

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Pete Carroll won a Super Bowl in Seattle
Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl in Tampa

Okay 2 and how many actually were unsuccessful? Not to mention Jon Gruden stole that Superbowl from Tony Dungy. That Bucs team was in the playoffs previous 4 years. So it was a competitive team. Its not like Gruden built that team up, in fact I believe they only had 1 successful year after that superbowl run before gruden was canned. As for Pete Carrol he had over a decade in between college and back to pros but Ill give you that one because he has done a heck of job there. 

My point is you have a better chance of being successful with an up and comer then a retread HC. 

• Like 1