Redskins hire Ron Rivera as HC, Jack Del Rio as DC & Scott Turner as OC

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Okay 2 and how many actually were unsuccessful? Not to mention Jon Gruden stole that Superbowl from Tony Dungy. That Bucs team was in the playoffs previous 4 years. So it was a competitive team. Its not like Gruden built that team up, in fact I believe they only had 1 successful year after that superbowl run before gruden was canned. As for Pete Carrol he had over a decade in between college and back to pros but Ill give you that one because he has done a heck of job there. 

My point is you have a better chance of being successful with an up and comer then a retread HC. 

This is a pretty weak argument considering I can name just as many "up and comers" that failed.  The reality is you just need to find a good fit.  We will see if Rivera is a good fit.  

• Like 3

That would be a good sign for Washington, I though the Giants might sign Ron. They need to focus on rebuilding that defense big time, Chase Young will be a huge boost for this team and with Ron Rivera to coach him he should become a stud in the NFL.

Also I wonder how they go about fixing that O-Line.

11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

My point is you have a better chance of being successful with an up and comer then a retread HC. 

Do you have the data to support that assertion ?

Holmgren won a SB in GB, then took Seattle to the SB. That counts as making an impact
John Fox took the Panthers and then the Broncos to the SB, that too counts as making an impact. There are others

The challenge here is that you staked your claim, but offered no data to support that claim.
You also appear unwilling to change your point of view -  even in the face of contradictory evidence
As McKnight says above, its about the fit, the support and the org more than if the HC has previous NFL experience ( aka re-tread)

Experience matters.
All of the up- and- coming guys need to get experience and they can either get that experience in the first couple of seasons of the new team OR you can hire them AFTER they've gone through the immense learning curve with another franchise
But its been done successfully in many different ways and I don't believe one method has been proven to be "better" than another as you suggested

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Okay 2 and how many actually were unsuccessful? Not to mention Jon Gruden stole that Superbowl from Tony Dungy. That Bucs team was in the playoffs previous 4 years. So it was a competitive team. Its not like Gruden built that team up, in fact I believe they only had 1 successful year after that superbowl run before gruden was canned. As for Pete Carrol he had over a decade in between college and back to pros but Ill give you that one because he has done a heck of job there. 

Gruden beat the team he built to win the Super Bowl. 

• Like 4

Ron Rivera is the right hire if they get him. Not a great scheme guy by any means (even on defense) but he's a great culture builder and thats what Washington needs more than anything. He'll need some strong coordinators and a good FO to really build a contender down there but I'm pretty confident that at the very least he can make the Redskins an attractive option again rather than a dumpster fire that they are now. The ideal of a young smart McVay/Shanahan type would not take the Redskins job unless it was a real deep cut (and they had both of those guys in building so odds are they don't know how to find them even when looking).