2020 O-Line

MOSteelers56

I think the O-line is the position in most need of a face lift. Both Pouncey and Foster regressed, but also bring a lot of intangibles to the offense. AV seemed pretty average as well. He's never been elite but he also doesn't command a huge salary. Decastro and Feiler were rocks for us this year. I thought Banner showed a lot of potential, but he'll need to continue losing weight I'd imagine. He was still pretty doughy in the middle. Chuks has a ton of potential as well.

I would like to see some moves made to address our issues on the line. Pouncey and Foster are both way overpaid. A long term LT may be needed. Interior depth is going to be a problem in Finney is not retained. I don't think the FO is going to want to go into next year with two new starters, especially playing next to each other, one being the dude snapping the ball. 

I'd love to see a new interior guy drafted early. The guy from Washington looks good. He's been brought up by the draftniks in other threads. I think I'd start him at LG at try to bring back Finney to play center. Then, if the rookie shows progress, switch the two. Feiler could potentially take over at LG next year too, with Chuks and Banner competing for the RT job. I think Chuks is being groomed for the LT job in the future. 

So, what's everyone's ideas about the O-line going into next year?

• Like 1

If I'm being completely honest we could get Nick Harris(OG/C) or Mekhi Becton (OT) or use our 3rd and a 4th or 3rd(comp) l, 2021 5th, 2020 6th to get both, we would have a legit C replacement for Pouncey and/or a legit LT replacement for AV.

Beyond getting one of those guys in the 2nd round, I wouldnt mind cutting Foster, letting Finney walk, moving Feiler to LG and letting Banner and Okorafor battle it out for the RT spot as well as bringing in a swing IOL UFA

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If I'm being completely honest we could get Nick Harris(OG/C) or Mekhi Becton (OT) or use our 3rd and a 4th or 3rd(comp) l, 2021 5th, 2020 6th to get both, we would have a legit C replacement for Pouncey and/or a legit LT replacement for AV.

Beyond getting one of those guys in the 2nd round, I wouldnt mind cutting Foster, letting Finney walk, moving Feiler to LG and letting Banner and Okorafor battle it out for the RT spot as well as bringing in a swing IOL UFA

I’d rather lose Pouncey than Foster because of the cap implications. Pouncey has the better chance to rebound, though. Foster looked washed in almost every facet of the game. 

Honestly, Pouncey aint going anywhere until Ben retires.  Consider him as good as a lock for the 2020 OL.  Also, we will not be able to retain Finney if we are resigning Dupree.

I LOVE the move of Feiler to OG.  The easiest way is to cut Foster, slide Feiler to Guard, and open up the RT job to Banner/Chuks.  I just don't know if cutting Foster is the Steelers way.

Draft a IOL and OT in the draft to develop.  Remember, we also have Gray on the PS that is making the switch to Guard, so IDK where he is in development but he is a factor as well.

• Like 1

I really dont think our O-Line is as desperate as some think. This isnt my ringing endorsement of 5 all pro players, but Pouncey's demise is a lot more exaggerated than the internet wants you to think, we were still a top 10 sack team (9th with 32) with most sack issues being on the young QBs, and our run game was ultimately derailed by an OC who lost his best Running game coach and played against numbers in the box without the ability to audible (Oh, and the OC sucks). 

Having said that.... I do hope that we move on from Foster. Just doesnt seem the same anymore and I thought he looked like he was struggling to get low when I actually focused on him yesterday. Age and years of pounding just look like they caught up. I do hope that we draft a C/OG to be the eventually successor to Pouncey and be our top backup this year on the inside. Really hope that they move Feiler to LG and try Chucks/Banner at RT -- feels like the best foot forward and most financially sound. Would love to say we draft our LT replacement and OG/C replacement this year, but its fairly unrealistic. Villy is still a Quality LT for another year or so, and while I would hope we could find his replacement Im not running out the door for it. 

If we are in the market for an OG....I wouldnt mind looking at Kyle Long. Seems like a cut candidate and while he hasnt been great and has been injured -- I Feel like he is a good stop gap solution to buy another year for draft purposes. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 2

Something I didn’t address in the OP is Pouncey’s injury. It looked a lot like a torn ACL to me. I think @3rivers commented about how similar it looked to our old LS, Greg Warren’s, injury(albeit not as nightmare inducing as Warren’s limp off the field). What happens if Pouncey’s season is in danger? Is there any cap relief for a season ending injury? 

I think that Foster is gone.  I would like to keep Finney, but as Kurgan said, would be too hard to keep Dupree which I think most agree that the Steelers will try or maybe even franchise tag for a year to make sure 2019 was not a fluke for him.  The demise of Pouncey has been greatly exaggerated.  There is a difference in not having your best year and falling to the dogs as some have suggested. He is not like the Pouncey of a few years ago, but he is also not table scraps. 

I am torn with how to fix/improve the OL between two scenarios:

First:  Move I would cut Foster. This is not a popular move as he is well liked and respected, but he is older and the team has more options and flexibility to replace him. Move Pouncey to LG.  He has always been better suited to play OG in my humble opinion. Pouncey can move and while he is not a devastating drive blocker, he will mix it up inside and can still run and pull very well. This is where it gets tough, but may actually help the OL. Sign a veteran free agent C.  Now I am not talking about another high priced veteran like Ryan Kalil, but a player like former Giant starter Brett Jones or Broncos Starter Connor McGovern.  I don't think that this type of player will require Pounce type money.  Big Ben spends a lot of time in shotgun and both of our centers showed some struggles there all season.

Second: do as many have suggested and move Matt Fieler to LG.  I then think you are forced to use a two headed RT with Banner being a road grader and Chuks being better suited to pass protection. 

Of course either way, the Steelers will need to make some changes in scheme or talent on the OL.  Our lineman with the exception of Zach Banner and a few back-ups are better suited for pass protection than run blocking.  Our TE's are not great blockers, although I thought that Vannett did a decent job and McDonald regressed from previous seasons.