What we need on Offense

WindyCity

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the Bears can draft some speed at WR. There are not many intriguing FA options, even if they had the cash, Breshard Perriman seems to be finally playing to his draft level.

Mitch can't hit anyone deep so it could go to waste. On another note, i read an interesting rumor of Alex Smith having interest in joining the Bears. He would be a perfect bridge QB letting Mitch learn under him. I'm sure it's a pipe dream but what a dream!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Agreed on all counts, but if 'QB to compete' costs valuable $$$ that I can't use to upgrade at RG, OT, TE then I'd hesitate there.

I believe you can find a quality RG in the draft

OT I am not sure what they do here since Leno and Massie are commanding $$$; perhaps draft as well?

TE - I'm throwing money at Hunter Henry

Speed WR - Phillip Dorsett. Turns 27 in January and has metrics quite similar to Tyreek Hill (no, I'm not saying they are the same player)

this reflects my feeling as well. RG, OT & TE really need to be the priorities.  Good choice with Dorsett. I think he'd be a great signing.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He has played with 2 of the better QBs in the last 10 years and has never demonstrated the ability to be a good receiver.

I disagree. I thought he showed a lot of maturity with the Patriots and did very well when given opportunities. He had nice chemistry with Brady. I understand he didn't put up big numbers but Brady hasn't had the arm strength the last couple years to take advantage of Dorsett's skillset. I think he'd bring a lot to the table for our team and he'd be very affordable. With Robinson & Miller already in place, Dorsett could be a nice compliment and help open up the field.

1. LT,  RT,  RG  all need to be flat out replaced.

2. Pick either C or LG for the 4th, and Whitehair takes the other spot.

3. We need  2x TEs

4. I'm coming around in the thinking that we could use another RB actually, but ONLY because I think we need to completely revamp ourselves into a "RUN FIRST" team to mitigate the amount of failure Biscuit can inflict upon on.  I'm currently eying Clemson's RB Etienne.... He's got the explosion that Montgomery lacks, and can be an effective 1-2 punch that can carry full load.

5. Players on "The hot seat"

a) Anthony Miller..... He gets open, but he is constantly running the wrong route, or changing his route...  None of the WR on the outside are blocking with any toughness or our WR screen game wouldn't suck nearly as much as it does

b) Tarik Cohen.... This is part of the reason I'm looking at the Clemson RB to pair with Montgomery... This is a role Cohen SHOULD be filling,  Maybe Patterson could be that guy, but he's also a box of rocks intelligence wise and I'm not sure he gets resigned.

6. We need to replace QB as well, but I don't think it's happening this year. We need to ride this year out and then trade to move up for Lawrence or Fields.

7. Coaching and GM changes need to be done... but I again have no faith in them happening... Heistand could and should have been fired 3 months ago for how atrocious the OL has been this year. Nagy needs to be fired from playcalling.

Edited by Epyon

38 minutes ago, Epyon said:

3. We need  2x TEs

4. I'm coming around in the thinking that we could use another RB actually, but ONLY because I think we need to completely revamp ourselves into a "RUN FIRST" team to mitigate the amount of failure Biscuit can inflict upon on.  I'm currently eying Clemson's RB Etienne.... He's got the explosion that Montgomery lacks, and can be an effective 1-2 punch that can carry full load.

a) Anthony Miller..... He gets open, but he is constantly running the wrong route, or changing his route...  None of the WR on the outside are blocking with any toughness or our WR screen game wouldn't suck nearly as much as it does

b) Tarik Cohen.... This is part of the reason I'm looking at the Clemson RB to pair with Montgomery... This is a role Cohen SHOULD be filling,  Maybe Patterson could be that guy, but he's also a box of rocks intelligence wise and I'm not sure he gets resigned.

6. We need to replace QB as well, but I don't think it's happening this year. We need to ride this year out and then trade to move up for Lawrence or Fields.

7. Coaching and GM changes need to be done... but I again have no faith in them happening... Heistand could and should have been fired 3 months ago for how atrocious the OL has been this year. Nagy needs to be fired from playcalling.

Huh? 

26 minutes ago, Epyon said:

3. We need  2x TEs

I agree with alot what you said. The Oline is the biggest flaw and needs to be addressed first and most complete. TE is another but will probably be filled through draft. Especially with the $ they are throwing at  Burton in the last year of his contract and the cap hit. The "hot seat" I agree on Miller and Cohen. Getting a Speed WR probably from the draft can be done with any mid round pick. But another thought on how to get speed at WR is put Cohen in the slot or Gabreal's spot on the outside and leave him there. He has good hands and his speed kills. Replacing him at RB is a mid to low draft pick or a low end cost FA RB. On coaching you hit the nail on the head. 

7 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Huh? 

It's a complicated offensive scheme, and Patterson and Tavon Austin COMBINED to score an 8 on the wonderlic. The guy is legitimately not that bright. Boatloads of talent, but there's a reason he's never lived up to his draft status.

I'd strongly consider him for the RB2 role behind Monty, or even as Cohen's outright replacement as a hybrid WR/RB "weapon" slot if that weren't the case.

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

It's a complicated offensive scheme, and Patterson and Tavon Austin COMBINED to score an 8 on the wonderlic. The guy is legitimately not that bright. Boatloads of talent, but there's a reason he's never lived up to his draft status.

I'd strongly consider him for the RB2 role behind Monty, or even as Cohen's outright replacement as a hybrid WR/RB "weapon" slot if that weren't the case.

You really going to use the wonderlic and combine the two issues? 

8 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

You really going to use the wonderlic and combine the two issues? 

You really think "stupid" is a fixable trait? Significantly more intelligent players than Patterson are showing large struggles with the playbook/scheme. I'd actually like to keep him around for his special teams skills and his gadget offensive utility, but I don't ever see him being more than a minor gadget roleplayer.

Edited by Epyon

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Mitch can't hit anyone deep so it could go to waste. On another note, i read an interesting rumor of Alex Smith having interest in joining the Bears. He would be a perfect bridge QB letting Mitch learn under him. I'm sure it's a pipe dream but what a dream!

No...if they get Alex Smith, they get rid of Mitch. They can't pay Mitch franchise money to sit on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

3. We need  2x TEs

Patterson is signed through the 2020 season.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Dalton and Carr, two top 20 QB's, aren't going to get $10M a year. Starting NFL QB's who are quality get more than that.

Neither are top 20. Dalton is coming off a worse year thank Trubisky.

Carr might be around 20th, but I am not guaranteeing him 2 years.