What we need on Offense

WindyCity

3 hours ago, Trubiskytime said:

I disagree. I thought he showed a lot of maturity with the Patriots and did very well when given opportunities. He had nice chemistry with Brady. I understand he didn't put up big numbers but Brady hasn't had the arm strength the last couple years to take advantage of Dorsett's skillset. I think he'd bring a lot to the table for our team and he'd be very affordable. With Robinson & Miller already in place, Dorsett could be a nice compliment and help open up the field.

I think most Bears fans would agree that Taylor Gabriel had minimal impact. Dorsett gets less separation and catches his targets less often than Gabriel. He also consistently underperforms his expected YAC. He's fast but he does a poor job using that speed to threaten the defense.

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He has played with 2 of the better QBs in the last 10 years and has never demonstrated the ability to be a good receiver.

All I want him to do is rip the top off the defense with verts. Sprinkle in some reverses and shallow crosses for good measure. 

Shouldn't cost much and he's still relatively young. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Neither are top 20. Dalton is coming off a worse year thank Trubisky.

Carr might be around 20th, but I am not guaranteeing him 2 years.

Carr had a QB Rating of 100. He had a great completion percentage, single digit INT's and a good YPA.

Dalton had more yards and a better YPA than Trubisky in 2 less games. 

I'd be willing to guarantee either 2 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

I love Derek Carr but I do wonder if he's strong enough mentally to handle this city. If he can't handle Oakland and Gruden... Chicago will eat him alive. 

I think the city of Chicago would be elated to see mid teir qb play for their team for the first time in my life. Legitimately with a Carr level qb they probably beat indy in 07, beat gb in the 11 nfccg,   and make a run last year.

• Like 1

When has bringing in a middling or recently middling QBs from another team actually worked? 

Newton, Carr, Smith, Foles, Smith, Carr, Mariota will probably have same results as Flacco, Foles, Smith, Keenum ...

Cousins was best of recent lot and is heavily criticized as a bum.  Bledsoe was a star when he left NE and still fizzled. 

Good recent examples are Brees, Manning and Garapolo, but two are HOFs and  weren't middling.  Brees and Maning were hurt and teams had a high pick.

Middling QBs usually stink or stay middling and/or quickly get hurt.  

Still you have to try someone I guess. 

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

When has bringing in a middling or recently middling QBs from another team actually worked? 

Newton, Carr, Smith, Foles, Smith, Carr, Mariota will probably have same results as Flacco, Foles, Smith, Keenum ...

Cousins was best of recent lot and is heavily criticized as a bum.  Bledsoe was a star when he left NE and still fizzled. 

Good recent examples are Brees, Manning and Garapolo, but two are HOFs and  weren't middling.  Brees and Maning were hurt and teams had a high pick.

Would Bridgewater?

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Cousins, Brissett, Smith, Garoppolo, Tannehill, and Bridgewater all come to mind. Not all are setting the league on fire but they're significantly better than Mitch.

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

You really think "stupid" is a fixable trait? Significantly more intelligent players than Patterson are showing large struggles with the playbook/scheme. I'd actually like to keep him around for his special teams skills and his gadget offensive utility, but I don't ever see him being more than a minor gadget roleplayer.

I just wanted to see if you'd actually back that up. Instead you dodge it. Good work. 

42 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

These first and last sentences are what has been going around my head for weeks now. I'm not expecting an Andy Dalton to come in here and light it up, we just HAVE to try someone to see if we get competent QB play from somewhere.

The best recent example is Tannehill. $2mil (TWO!!) he's getting paid this year and he's been genuinely brilliant. We're not getting a miracle like that.

I hadn't thought of Carr, I'd be all for that. His personality grates on me a bit but win some games Derek and I couldn't care less.

My prediction - we ride with Alex Smith for a year in 2020, don't re-sign Mitch then reset at the position in 2021. Possibly even with Smith as a back-up if he looks decent enough.

Edited by RJ_11

15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Cousins, Brissett, Smith, Garoppolo, Tannehill, and Bridgewater all come to mind. Not all are setting the league on fire but they're significantly better than Mitch.

Cousins looked better because Minny ran the ball with Cook and had a play pass. Brissett plays with a better OLine in Indy and isn't great. Garoppolo plays with a running game and a play pass. Tannehill hands off to Henry and has the play pass. So all these guys have a better running game and aren't asked to carry the offense.

That is all things that Nagy doesn't want to do.

• Like 1