With Bruce gone

TOUCAN

if he wants to come back im fine, if not then im also fine BUT..... If he wants to come back then im extending him a few more years with a pay raise.

hes still a top 5 LT and has sit out a whole year and his body should be completely healed and good to go. I would add another two to three years if he wants to come back. you can argue that hes getting older but good tackles have proven to play at a late age

8 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

At this point I might rather have the picks, assuming we can get anything of value. 

only problem I have with that is that then your either looking to replace him in FA and overpay in a week LT market or draft a LT  with the pick you get for him and hope that he pans out. I would love to trade him and grab his replacement in the 2nd round but its not a given that they will produce. I mean look at Christian, yeah he was a 3rd rounder but he hasnt done squat.

I guess im just hesitant bc if you look at the 2019 draft class for tackles in the first two rounds how many panned out? Dillard and Howard I dont think even played

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

only problem I have with that is that then your either looking to replace him in FA and overpay in a week LT market or draft a LT  with the pick you get for him and hope that he pans out. I would love to trade him and grab his replacement in the 2nd round but its not a given that they will produce. I mean look at Christian, yeah he was a 3rd rounder but he hasnt done squat.

I guess im just hesitant bc if you look at the 2019 draft class for tackles in the first two rounds how many panned out? Dillard and Howard I dont think even played

Those guys played and neither are as talented as the top OTs in this years draft.

I’d welcome Trent back. This was mostly about him not wanting to be playing while Brice was in the building IMO more than anything else. Trent will be viewed as some kind of savior if he returns now and now Brice is gone!

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Those guys played and neither are as talented as the top OTs in this years draft.

I’d welcome Trent back. This was mostly about him not wanting to be playing while Brice was in the building IMO more than anything else. Trent will be viewed as some kind of savior if he returns now and now Brice is gone!

Williams and Taylor were really the only two guys that played well though. dont get me wrong there is some serious talent at OT that will be there in the 2nd but dont expect a guy to come in and be trent williams is what im saying

In a perfect world for me I would get Trent to come back and tag and trade scherrf for at least a 2nd rounder. preferbly a 2nd and a later pick like a 4th or 5th and use that 2nd rounder on someone like xavier mckinney, Kenneth Murray, Bryce Hall, or AJ Terrel

7 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Williams and Taylor were really the only two guys that played well though. dont get me wrong there is some serious talent at OT that will be there in the 2nd but dont expect a guy to come in and be trent williams is what im saying

In a perfect world for me I would get Trent to come back and tag and trade scherrf for at least a 2nd rounder. preferbly a 2nd and a later pick like a 4th or 5th and use that 2nd rounder on someone like xavier mckinney, Kenneth Murray, Bryce Hall, or AJ Terrel

I don’t know, I expect Andrew Thomas to come into the league and be a great player like most of the top 5 OTs have before him. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t know, I expect Andrew Thomas to come into the league and be a great player like most of the top 5 OTs have before him. 

I must not have clarified, I meant 2nd round OTs this year. we arent taking thomas in the first. Young has that locked up. and if not then a boat load of picks

11 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I must not have clarified, I meant 2nd round OTs this year. we arent taking thomas in the first. Young has that locked up. and if not then a boat load of picks

Oh ok, my bad, missed that. Yeah, usually late first round picks and below take a year or two to develop until they become starter quality OTs. 

And dear 8 pound 6 ounce new born baby Jesus I hope we draft Chase Young.

If we did trade down for more picks though, Andrew Thomas may be available when we would have that first round pick.

35 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I don’t think you could rely on Trent before this whole thing. Super talented but injury prone. That’s not going to get better as he ages. It’s bad that we didn’t adequately prepare for a future without him (thanks Bruce...), but I think it’s too late to turn back now.

3 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t think you could rely on Trent before this whole thing. Super talented but injury prone. That’s not going to get better as he ages. It’s bad that we didn’t adequately prepare for a future without him (thanks Bruce...), but I think it’s too late to turn back now.

Not to defend Brice, but how can you adequately prepare for your pro bowl LT refusing to play the season and reportedly not telling anyone until after the draft?

I think the team prepared as well as they could have. They drafted a young OT in the 3rd round to develop in the 2018 draft, Gerron Christian. That’s what most teams do. If they have two starting OTs, they’ll draft a mid round OT to develop behind those guys to see in a few years if that OT will be ready to take over for them.