With Bruce gone

TOUCAN

I would try to repair the relationship, if for no other reason than having a bridge LT. At the same time, Trent has to realize that he's done a lot damage to his reputation in house and that it should not be a surprise when they draft his replacement.

20 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

It makes sense to meet with him and try to clear the air. But the first time he says he wants more Guaranteed money- which I believe this is what is was always about- trade him for what you can get. 

Trent just tipped his hand, again, that this was about $$$.

I'll find the tweet later.

Get this guy out of here.

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This one?  He's treating this like he's being recruited to college now and pitting all of the bagmen against each other.  

Heck, I’d want to be compensated if I went through that also. Rivera wants to center his program around the players? Pay him and get this over with. 

13 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Heck, I’d want to be compensated if I went through that also. Rivera wants to center his program around the players? Pay him and get this over with. 

What he went through pretty much had nothing to do with the team.

As I've said before, he's using it as a scapegoat to get a long term deal.

It's been readily apparent from the start.

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This one?  He's treating this like he's being recruited to college now and pitting all of the bagmen against each other.  

That's the one. The more he talks, the more his agenda this past offseason/season gets exposed.

49 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

What he went through pretty much had nothing to do with the team.

As I've said before, he's using it as a scapegoat to get a long term deal.

It's been readily apparent from the start.

We all knew he was gonna try to squeeze some dough out of the situation. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

But that's my point. He wanted more $$ after the guaranteed money ran out on his current contract, and then used those scapegoats as cover for it.

Yes, he’s playing his hand the best way he knows (been advised) how. Would you or I play it like that? Probably not. The man can still play a nasty left tackle, and if it’s good with the locker room and good with Rivera I have no problem with his return. 

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s a great player he deserves more money.  I don’t know why you’re so upset with him. 

You know why. I've explained it. You simply don't agree with my "why". Which is fine.

He has had great talent but to me he's now in decline as a player the org needs to evaluate him as (remember contracts are not for what you've done, but for what you are going to do). At this point, he's a good/great player. But at this point, he hasn't played a full season in pretty much forever. And just missed another one while getting one year older past the magic age of 30. Right now, for me, the negatives (over 30, not healthy in forever, declining abilities, increase in penalties, one strike left on substance abuse, along with his lack of character, etc...) he brings to the table far outweigh the positives of him coming back for only one more year. 

I've already gone on record as wanting to convert his last two years of his contract to guaranteed money. But that was IF he reported to camp last season and played for two full seasons. Because I'm not giving him a 5 year contract. That's monumentally stupid for us to give that to him.

Now that he did what he did last year and only has one year left (absent the Redskins challenging it to the NFL - which they still could do)?

For me he can hit the road. 

Trade him. Let someone else get only 10 to 13 games out of him. Let them take on his contract and tack on 3 more years and deal with that headache.

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Yes, he’s playing his hand the best way he knows (been advised) how. Would you or I play it like that? Probably not. The man can still play a nasty left tackle, and if it’s good with the locker room and good with Rivera I have no problem with his return. 

His play has been good. But it has also dropped the last few years if people are being honest and not looking at "Trent Williams, the name" and instead are looking at the LT play he's given us. The results on the field often do not match the "OMG greatest NFL tackle" rhetoric on the forums IMHO. His pass blocking has been good/great. But critical mistakes are made at the worst times for him IIRC. 

And the last three seasons he played he only played 12, 10, and 13 games respectively. Not encouraging when the guy is north of 30.

The locker room, unless he bashed the players themselves, are not going to care because they don't ever get in the middle of a player getting his money. That has been told to me over and over by NFL players.

Rivera is going to want him back. If I were in his shoes and didn't already feel the way I did about it (since he's coming in from another org) then I might want him back too. 

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s a great player he deserves more money.  I don’t know why you’re so upset with him. 

I agree, now that Bruce is gone, I want to keep Trent. I think Rivera wants him and he’s going to make clear what he expects out of him if the Redskins give him a contract extension with more guaranteed money. I’m sure Dan asked Ron of his opinion of the situation and my guess is it was the exact opposite of how Bruce was handling it all of last year.

Ron knows the value of a great LT, especially for protecting a young QB like he had in Carolina with Jordan Gross protecting Cam.