GDT: America’s Team at New England

titans0021

12 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Weather can change obviously but right now suppose to be 65 and rain in Baltimore next weekend 

I saw somewhere else someone post this and I love it . “ I’d rather have a tractor in the mud then a corvette “.

if it rains I’m confident we can win . Let’s hope the football gods can Make it a pool. 

Edited by FutureIsWhite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FutureIsWhite said:

I saw somewhere else someone post this and I love it . “ I’d rather have a tractor in the mud then a corvette “.

if it rains I’m confident we can win . Let’s hope the football gods can Make it a pool. 

Ya we need McNair and Neely to look down on us again Saturday night 

Despite the huge game by Henry and the bad game by Tannehill, our EPA/Play was higher passing than it was rushing. That might be a different story in the first half, but I don't have those numbers.

Overall passing the ball just contributes a lot more to your expected points than running it because it's far more efficient. We fed Henry 20 carries in the 2nd half and didn't even muster a FG. I know there are other factors, and I know a lot of people are going to dislike this because it goes against their beliefs about Henry's monster game and the feeling that he's why we won, but the defense keeping NE scoreless in the 2nd half is why we won. 

You can have an absolute monster RB who does everything right, and still only score 14 points.

58 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Despite the huge game by Henry and the bad game by Tannehill, our EPA/Play was higher passing than it was rushing. That might be a different story in the first half, but I don't have those numbers.

Overall passing the ball just contributes a lot more to your expected points than running it because it's far more efficient. We fed Henry 20 carries in the 2nd half and didn't even muster a FG. I know there are other factors, and I know a lot of people are going to dislike this because it goes against their beliefs about Henry's monster game and the feeling that he's why we won, but the defense keeping NE scoreless in the 2nd half is why we won. 

You can have an absolute monster RB who does everything right, and still only score 14 points.

I think it can be both. Henry and the defense.

Without Henry that 1st half, we likely don't score. more than 7 points. And even though those 20 carries didn't result in points, he moved the chains enough to keep the clock moving and give us the field position for the defense to increase their likely hood of holding NE scoreless.

The defense was awesome the 2nd half. They were aided by the illegal man downfield and drop but that still counts. 

You have to factor in the monster game and the reason for the monster game too.  

Say 200 yard rushing on like 10 carries isn't really that great overall because it was big plays and the defense is back out there.  But 200 yards on 30 carries means ball control and more time that the other team doesn't have the ball to score. So if you do only get 14 points it's all good because the other team doesn't have time to score more than that if your defense comes to play like ours did.

As you know, we could score 38 points but if our defense isn't stopping them from scoring to match us, whats the use. The other team can score more than you if they don't have the ball.  :) 

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

My counter would be to look at how the drives ended in the second half.

First: Ran three times for a first down, passed for no gain on first and threw an incompletion on third.

Second: Ran for four on first, sack/fumble on second. Drive over.

Third: Interception.

Fourth: Move the ball into field goal range on the ground, Tannehill drops the snap.

Fifth: Clock killing drive.

The passing game/Tannehill killed every drive in the second half. We were still able to run, we’d just abandon it for one play and we’d immediately be behind the chains.

• Like 1

One thing that article is not taking into account is the psychological advantage of having Belichick throw a hissy fit on the sidelines and Brady perhaps pressing more, knowing he now has one possession instead of two.  I don't necessarily think the analysis is as cut and dry as that article makes it out to be.

Edited by titanrick
  • Like 3

Vrabel's clock killing idea against a Tom Brady led team that only needs to get a FG with over 4 minutes left was definitely the wrong choice from a probability standpoint. Going for it on 4th down was probably the best choice given we were inside the 40.

I was absolutely furious when they sent out the punt team.

• Like 2