Andrew Berry's Philosophy & the Sashi-DePo-Berry Era Revisited

Mind Character

**** Now that Berry has returned, I'm changing this thread around to a more forward looking thread about Berry but leaving the old OP ***

------------------------------------

John Dorsey deserves plenty of criticism regarding decisions he's responsible for.

However, the disdain for Dorsey has led a lot of people to distort the record of the Sashi/DePodesta/Berry Era.

There's so much revisionist history going on regarding the DePo, Sashi, and Andrew Berry Era it has my head spinning.

They are all brilliant and shepherded us through a well-organized historic 2-year tank in order for us to accumulate draft capital

Even taking into account that the goal was to tank and build through the draft, their overall personnel decisions an evaluations were not good at all.

There's a place for Paul DePodesta in our organization as a lead strategist who has more power in a coaching search and advising draft strategy/personnel decisions, but giving him final say over football decisions or evaluation would be a mistake.

-----

2016 NFL Draft:

1    15    Corey Coleman    WR    Baylor
2    32    Emmanuel Ogbah    DE    Oklahoma State
3    65    Carl Nassib    DE    Penn State
3    76    Shon Coleman    T    Auburn
3    93    Cody Kessler    QB    USC
4    99    Joe Schobert    OLB    Wisconsin
4    114    Ricardo Louis    WR    Auburn
4    129    Derrick Kindred    SAF    Texas Christian
4    138    Seth DeValve    WR    Princeton
5    154    Jordan Payton    WR    UCLA
5    168    Spencer Drango    G    Baylor

5    172    Rashard Higgins    WR    Colorado State
5    173    Trey Caldwell    DB    Louisiana-Monroe
7    250    Scooby Wright    LB    Arizona

2016 Coaching Search Evaluations:

1.) Sean McDermott reportedly evaluated as the number 1 candidate over Hue Jackson

2016 Free Agents:

1.) OL Alvin Bailey, 2.) LB Justin Tuggle, 3.) LB Demario Davis, 4.) S Rahim Moore, 5.) LB Tank Carder, 6.) QB Robert Griffin, 7.) Don Jones, 8.) Austin Paztor, 9.) Terrelle Pryor

2016 NFL QB Evaluations:

1.) Carson Wentz not a top-20 QB

2.) Jared Goff QB1

2017 NFL Draft:

1    Myles Garrett    DE    Texas A&M
1    25    Jabrill Peppers    SAF    Michigan
1    29    David Njoku    TE    Miami (Fla.)
2    52    DeShone Kizer    QB    Notre Dame
3    65    Larry Ogunjobi    DT    North Carolina-Charlotte
4    126    Howard Wilson    CB    Houston
5    160    Roderick Johnson    T    Florida State
6    185    Caleb Brantley    DT    Florida
7    224    Zane Gonzalez    K    Arizona State
7    252    Matt Dayes    RB    North Carolina State

2017 NFL Free Agents:

1.) Kevin Zeitler, 2.) JC Tretter, 3.) WR Kenny Britt, 4.) Tyvis Powell, 5.) Marcus Martin, 6.) Jason McCourty, 7.) Matt McCants, 8.) James Wright, 9.) Brett Maher

2017 QB Evaluations:

1.) Mitchell Trubisky ranked ahead of Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

2.) Trading from 12th to 25th + Receiving a future 1st round pick was desired instead of taking Deshaun Watson at 12.

2016+2017 Trades of Note:

1.) Got a 2nd round pick for taking on Brock Osweiler's contract

2.) Acquired Jamie Collins for a 3rd round pick

2018 Coaching Search Evaluations:

1.) Kevin Stefanski reportedly evaluated as the number 1 candidate over Freddie Kitchens

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I still 💕 them.

I’ll die on this hill.

Yeah, this record looks pretty favorable to them IMO with the exception of the Coleman whiff, taking a year to figure out that you hoard 1-3 round picks and forget about 4-7th round ones, and the Trubisky evaluation (and as far I recall we never had proof on that one, just reports, which I am not inclined to believe since Mitch did NOT look good as an "analytics" prospect). 

Their coaching preferences sure looks right at this point. Their 1st-3rd round picks actually seem to have a better than league average bust rate. And they were starting to build a great OL in 2017 with Zeitler and Tretter (plus having Bitonio and Thomas as hold overs). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

On the Sashi hill? Absolutely! Why? Did you chicken out and change your mind? 

No but, come on, we're the analytics team. No way in hell we're frontal charging a bunch of riflemen armed only with swords. We're team "find an edge". Let's trade some late round picks and cap space for artillery or something.

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

No but, come on, we're the analytics team. No way in hell we're frontal charging a bunch of riflemen armed only with swords. We're team "find an edge". Let's trade some late round picks and cap space for artillery or something.

This better?

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This better?

giphy.gif

Them: "Oooo, look at us, we're football guys, we grunt and chew tobacco, we played the game and thus know everything, we have locker room cred, teams that run the ball more win more, running into a ten man box on 3rd and 1 is the man's way."

Us: "Any edge to win. Bang."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, this record looks pretty favorable to them IMO with the exception of the Coleman whiff, taking a year to figure out that you hoard 1-3 round picks and forget about 4-7th round ones, and the Trubisky evaluation (and as far I recall we never had proof on that one, just reports, which I am not inclined to believe since Mitch did NOT look good as an "analytics" prospect). 

Their coaching preferences sure looks right at this point. Their 1st-3rd round picks actually seem to have a better than league average bust rate. And they were starting to build a great OL in 2017 with Zeitler and Tretter (plus having Bitonio and Thomas as hold overs). 

The football guys over analytics thing has always been ridiculous for sure.

Their coaching preferences were right indeed, and that's why I believe there's a vital place for DePodesta in this organization. But having say/power in coaching searches is much different than having say regarding personnel decisions. I'm not quite sure that I see those drafts or personnel decisions as all that favorable.

Dorsey has had his misses as well but Jabrill Peppers and David Njoku over all-pros like Ryan Ramcyk, Tre'Davious White, and TJ Watt in the 1st is different than missing on 4th-7th rounders.

I'm also not sure Ogbah and Nassib are hits in the true sense of draf evaluation. If those 4 players (Peppers, Njoku, Ogbah, and Nassib) don't really hit their draft record is abysmal. It's not too hard to whiff on the Myles Garrett at 1.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

rumor sites today have it that coleman/kizer were hue picks so, *shrug*

nerds still have us set up to WIN somehow with 90M in cap space next year

Coleman was an analytics and consensus pick.

Kizer was the last QB standing and at 52 in the 2nd the consensus was on taking that gamble.

Tearing down the house to get 90 Million wasn't hard at all.

Anyone can bulldozer a house. It's building the foundation and house that is the difficult part.