Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mind Character

Andrew Berry's Philosophy & the Sashi-DePo-Berry Era Revisited

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

That probably put them in salary cap hell though.  :/

It was actually the best free agent signing of the last 6 year imo 5-6 years at less than 7 million per year for an all pro rt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It was actually the best free agent signing of the last 6 year imo 5-6 years at less than 7 million per year for an all pro rt

Either your drunk or didn't get the sarcasm.  Lots of people bad rappin Dorsey when he clearly has been the best gm we have had in quite awhile.  That's not saying much...i know

 

 

Edited by big poppa pump
Ppl forgetting the talent he was able to acquire and focus on the negative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Either your drunk or didn't get the sarcasm.  Lots of people bad rappin Dorsey when he clearly has been the best gm we have had in quite awhile.  That's not saying much...i know

Yeah it’s hard to try to win with 9 figures in cap space and hella draft capital.

Thankfully he went 13-18-1 in full “win now” mode.

Lord knows what we can do to replace that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Either your drunk or didn't get the sarcasm.  Lots of people bad rappin Dorsey when he clearly has been the best gm we have had in quite awhile.  That's not saying much...i know

 

 

The best GM when you consider we had

Antrhax

Mustard Gas

Agent Orange

Nuclear waste for GMs that Rat Poison will seem tolerable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s hard to try to win with 9 figures in cap space and hella draft capital.

Thankfully he went 13-18-1 in full “win now” mode.

Lord knows what we can do to replace that...

What was sashi record?  Lolololol

Let me hear it again

We weren't supposed to win....lolololol

But 9ers go from 2nd pick overall to number 1 seed the next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, big poppa pump said:

What was sashi record?  Lolololol

Let me hear it again

We weren't supposed to win....lolololol

I mean, I don’t have to explain a tank do I?

Or are you and Polian still trying to figure out why Osweiler didn’t get his chance?

Just now, big poppa pump said:

But 9ers go from 2nd pick overall to number 1 seed the next year.

This is what happens when you hire the right guy (and have patience after 10 wins the previous 2 seasons combined).

 

It’s all good though.  In the end the nerds came out on top.  No hard feelings from me 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

What was sashi record?  Lolololol

Let me hear it again

We weren't supposed to win....lolololol

But 9ers go from 2nd pick overall to number 1 seed the next year.

It's hard to really tell what Sashi was responsible for from a player personnel perspective.  The idea that we were going to just put a bunch of kids in the locker room with no vet presence and have Hue Jackson lead them to greatness stunk from the outset.  Saving up cap space for 2nd contracts to guys who were on pace to win like 10 games in 4 years was asinine.  Just sitting on boatloads of cash that could be have been used for some free agents that might have shaped the culture of our team, and also be off the books by the time some of your rookie contracts were up, never made any sense to me.

I kind of miss Sashi's frugality until I remember the full reeree of the roster we had built after 2 seasons. I'm not sure if we would be done tanking yet if he was still here.  It's like he was trying to just keep his job on hope.

Edited by Rod Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

It's hard to really tell what Sashi was responsible for from a player personnel perspective. 

Agreed.  Having a coach he apparently actively campaigned hiring only complicates the situation as well because both guys pointed the finger at the other.

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

The idea that we were going to just put a bunch of kids in the locker room with no vet presence and have Hue Jackson lead them to greatness stunk from the outset. 

I mean, this only partly true.  They were stupid young, yes, but iirc there was a vet in every position group.

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Saving up cap space for 2nd contracts to guys who were on pace to win like 10 games in 4 years was asinine.  Just sitting on boatloads of cash that could be have been used for some free agents that might have shaped the culture of our team, and also be off the books by the time some of your rookie contracts were up, never made any sense to me.

I never believed it was a 4 year tank.  I always assumed the idea would be cash in year 3, similarly to how we did but likely roll some of the draft capital over to the following year to make sure we always had a boatload of assets as a way to add young, cheap talent.

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I kind of miss Sashi's frugality until I remember the full reeree of the roster we had built after 2 seasons. I'm not sure if we would be done tanking yet if he was still here.  It's like he was trying to just keep his job on hope.

I mean, by all report he (and DePo) literally stated it was a 4-5 year plan to Haslam when they were hired.

Haslam, as usual, got impatient and fired Sashi after less than 2 because he wasn’t happy that the 4 year rebuild wasn’t done yet.  Genius.

I’m not saying you or shouldn’t follow that plan, but if they describe a particular plan and you agree to it, a reasonable man would let it play out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.  Having a coach he apparently actively campaigned hiring only complicates the situation as well because both guys pointed the finger at the other.

I mean, this only partly true.  They were stupid young, yes, but iirc there was a vet in every position group.

I never believed it was a 4 year tank.  I always assumed the idea would be cash in year 3, similarly to how we did but likely roll some of the draft capital over to the following year to make sure we always had a boatload of assets as a way to add young, cheap talent.

I mean, by all report he (and DePo) literally stated it was a 4-5 year plan to Haslam when they were hired.

Haslam, as usual, got impatient and fired Sashi after less than 2 because he wasn’t happy that the 4 year rebuild wasn’t done yet.  Genius.

I’m not saying you or shouldn’t follow that plan, but if they describe a particular plan and you agree to it, a reasonable man would let it play out.

 

With the way things turnover from year to year in the NFL, a 4-5 year plan is absolutely ridiculous.  If that's what was fed to Jimmy by Sashi and Co. then shame on Jimmy for agreeing to that nonsense, and shame on Sashi for even trying to sell that to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

With the way things turnover from year to year in the NFL, a 4-5 year plan is absolutely ridiculous.  If that's what was fed to Jimmy by Sashi and Co. then shame on Jimmy for agreeing to that nonsense, and shame on Sashi for even trying to sell that to him.

I mean, maybe, but that’s apparently what happened.

I was fine with it as at the time we had been awful for a decade and a half so what was a couple more years if it actually worked. We seemingly had one “fix on the fly” attempt after another and they all failed.

I was good with tearing it down to the studs and rebuilding, but I can see what some weren’t/aren’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, maybe, but that’s apparently what happened.

I was fine with it as at the time we had been awful for a decade and a half so what was a couple more years if it actually worked. We seemingly had one “fix on the fly” attempt after another and they all failed.

I was good with tearing it down to the studs and rebuilding, but I can see what some weren’t/aren’t.

And with the team constructed as is, the plan should be "win now"  We have the pieces in place.  We need some positions to be upgraded for sure, but the next HC/GM should not be attempting to re-tool this roster to fit their "program" and they should not be trying to sell a "plan" that includes wiping out this roster to fit their scheme.

I'm not advocating keeping potential "cancers" in the locker room, but I also wouldn't advocate trying to flip current players (OBJ) for pennies on the dollar.

A good HC should be able to get the most out of the current talent, and a good GM should be able to add the necessary pieces to compete for the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

And with the team constructed as is, the plan should be "win now"  We have the pieces in place.  We need some positions to be upgraded for sure, but the next HC/GM should not be attempting to re-tool this roster to fit their "program" and they should not be trying to sell a "plan" that includes wiping out this roster to fit their scheme.

I'm not advocating keeping potential "cancers" in the locker room, but I also wouldn't advocate trying to flip current players (OBJ) for pennies on the dollar.

A good HC should be able to get the most out of the current talent, and a good GM should be able to add the necessary pieces to compete for the playoffs.

No, I agree, the idea of a rebuild like before is unnecessary and I’m sure the nerds know that.

In 2016 we had the oldest, most expensive defense in the league and were like 31st overall. It was a complete mess and in need of being nuked.

This roster is not.

They need to clean up the cap by cutting guys like Hubbard, Carrie, Kirksey and perhaps Vernon.

Guys like Randall and Robinson are likely gone as well, but I’d try to retain them if possible because they’re not awful and we have enough holes to fill as is. 

Other than that, it’s continue building and get ready to roll.  Playoffs are the expectation for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.  Having a coach he apparently actively campaigned hiring only complicates the situation as well because both guys pointed the finger at the other.

I mean, this only partly true.  They were stupid young, yes, but iirc there was a vet in every position group.

I never believed it was a 4 year tank.  I always assumed the idea would be cash in year 3, similarly to how we did but likely roll some of the draft capital over to the following year to make sure we always had a boatload of assets as a way to add young, cheap talent.

I mean, by all report he (and DePo) literally stated it was a 4-5 year plan to Haslam when they were hired.

Haslam, as usual, got impatient and fired Sashi after less than 2 because he wasn’t happy that the 4 year rebuild wasn’t done yet.  Genius.

I’m not saying you or shouldn’t follow that plan, but if they describe a particular plan and you agree to it, a reasonable man would let it play out.

 

It depends on what a 4-5 year plan meant.  4-5 years to have a winning season or make the playoffs is far too long.  4-5 seasons to peak as one of the best teams in the league makes sense.  At the time I had no problem firing Sashi, but we should have cut ties with Hue first and tried to add and subtract from our FO in other ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, I agree, the idea of a rebuild like before is unnecessary and I’m sure the nerds know that.

In 2016 we had the oldest, most expensive defense in the league and were like 31st overall. It was a complete mess and in need of being nuked.

This roster is not.

They need to clean up the cap by cutting guys like Hubbard, Carrie, Kirksey and perhaps Vernon.

Guys like Randall and Robinson are likely gone as well, but I’d try to retain them if possible because they’re not awful and we have enough holes to fill as is. 

Other than that, it’s continue building and get ready to roll.  Playoffs are the expectation for 2020.

And tbf, as much as I joke about not wanting nerds, and wanting football guys, it really shouldn't matter with this team, as constructed.  A nerd approach to adding the appropriate pieces in a cost effective manner via FA is probably just what this team needs.  An analytical approach to drafting the appropriate players from rd1 to rd 7? Also not a bad idea.  What matters is getting it right more often than not, especially where the draft is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It depends on what a 4-5 year plan meant.  4-5 years to have a winning season or make the playoffs is far too long.  4-5 seasons to peak as one of the best teams in the league makes sense.  At the time I had no problem firing Sashi, but we should have cut ties with Hue first and tried to add and subtract from our FO in other ways.

I’m assuming to peak team as that’s the end goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×