Andrew Berry's Philosophy & the Sashi-DePo-Berry Era Revisited

Mind Character

On 12/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey deserves plenty of criticism regarding decisions he's responsible for.

However, the disdain for Dorsey has led a lot of people to distort the record of the Sashi/DePodesta/Berry Era.

There's so much revisionist history going on regarding the DePo, Sashi, and Andrew Berry Era it has my head spinning.

They are all brilliant and shepherded us through a well-organized historic 2-year tank in order for us to accumulate draft capital

Even taking into account that the goal was to tank and build through the draft, their overall personnel decisions an evaluations were not good at all.

There's a place for Paul DePodesta in our organization as a lead strategist who has more power in a coaching search and advising draft strategy/personnel decisions, but giving him final say over football decisions or evaluation would be a mistake.

-----

2016 NFL Draft:

1    15    Corey Coleman    WR    Baylor
2    32    Emmanuel Ogbah    DE    Oklahoma State
3    65    Carl Nassib    DE    Penn State
3    76    Shon Coleman    T    Auburn
3    93    Cody Kessler    QB    USC
4    99    Joe Schobert    OLB    Wisconsin
4    114    Ricardo Louis    WR    Auburn
4    129    Derrick Kindred    SAF    Texas Christian
4    138    Seth DeValve    WR    Princeton
5    154    Jordan Payton    WR    UCLA

5    168    Spencer Drango    G    Baylor
5    172    Rashard Higgins    WR    Colorado State
5    173    Trey Caldwell    DB    Louisiana-Monroe
7    250    Scooby Wright    LB    Arizona

2016 Coaching Search Evaluations:

1.) Sean McDermott reportedly evaluated as the number 1 candidate over Hue Jackson

2016 Free Agents:

1.) OL Alvin Bailey, 2.) LB Justin Tuggle, 3.) LB Demario Davis, 4.) S Rahim Moore, 5.) LB Tank Carder, 6.) QB Robert Griffin, 7.) Don Jones, 8.) Austin Paztor, 9.) Terrelle Pryor

2016 NFL QB Evaluations:

1.) Carson Wentz not a top-20 QB

2.) Jared Goff QB1

2017 NFL Draft:

1    Myles Garrett    DE    Texas A&M
1    25    Jabrill Peppers    SAF    Michigan
1    29    David Njoku    TE    Miami (Fla.)
2    52    DeShone Kizer    QB    Notre Dame
3    65    Larry Ogunjobi    DT    North Carolina-Charlotte
4    126    Howard Wilson    CB    Houston
5    160    Roderick Johnson    T    Florida State
6    185    Caleb Brantley    DT    Florida
7    224    Zane Gonzalez    K    Arizona State
7    252    Matt Dayes    RB    North Carolina State

2017 NFL Free Agents:

1.) Kevin Zeitler, 2.) JC Tretter, 3.) WR Kenny Britt, 4.) Tyvis Powell, 5.) Marcus Martin, 6.) Jason McCourty, 7.) Matt McCants, 8.) James Wright, 9.) Brett Maher

2017 QB Evaluations:

1.) Mitchell Trubisky ranked ahead of Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

2.) Trading from 12th to 25th + Receiving a future 1st round pick was desired instead of taking Deshaun Watson at 12.

2016+2017 Trades of Note:

1.) Got a 2nd round pick for taking on Brock Osweiler's contract

2.) Acquired Jamie Collins for a 3rd round pick

2018 Coaching Search Evaluations:

1.) Kevin Stefanski reportedly evaluated as the number 1 candidate over Freddie Kitchens

We honestly should've kept Ogbah and Nassib. One of them would've been worthwhile to have moving forward.

Before getting injured Ogbah was balling and Nassib did so as well.

Those were two bad moves. Replacing Nassib with Anthony Zettel and the Ogbah for Eric Murray trades were really bad.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Soon the, "does anyone ever remember Berry's nervous tick of head nodding when he was here before" posts shall arise.

Soon he'll be nicknamed the "nerd nodder" and that nerd nodder shall soon lead us to nerd victory.

Edited by Mind Character

51 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Soon the, "does anyone ever remember Berry's nervous tick of head nodding when he was here before" posts shall arise.

Soon he'll be nicknamed the "nerd nodder" and that nerd nodder shall soon lead us to nerd victory.

And then he shall be known as the Brilliant Bobblehead....LOL

• Like 3

We have a way now.

1.) Andrew Berry laid out his philosophy on placing a premium on players that effect the passing game (on both sides of the ball).

2.) Smart, tough, and accountable on and off the field football players is the stated cultural ethos and player acquisition philosophy of Berry and Stefanski.

Taking both those things into account, I think it suggests that the Browns may be valuing certain players over others in the draft.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

We have a way now.

1.) Andrew Berry laid out his philosophy on placing a premium on players that effect the passing game (on both sides of the ball).

2.) Smart, tough, and accountable football players is the stated cultural ethos and player acquisition philosophy of Berry and Stefanski.

Taking both those things into account, I think it suggests that the Browns may be valuing certain players over others in the draft.

1. Will be interesting to see how it relates to our vet linebackers, kirko is aversge vs the pass and solid vs rhe run, while schobert is an excellent coverage linebacker, and sometimes left wanting vs the run.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

1. Will be interesting to see how it relates to our vet linebackers, kirko is aversge vs the pass and solid vs rhe run, while schobert is an excellent coverage linebacker, and sometimes left wanting vs the run.

That's a good point.  This regime may hold Schobert in high regard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

That's a good point.  This regime may hold Schobert in high regard.

Plus I think Schobert exemplifies Smart, Tough, and Accountable on and off the field.

I think it bodes well for Joe Schobert staying in Cleveland.

I also wonder how realistic it is for him to get paid top LB money elsewhere around the league; that is, his agent can represent that they'll shop around, but he doesn't have the athletic profile or quick twitch or outward locker room leadership characteristics that get free-agent LB paid big bucks (CJ Mosley, etc).

I have no doubt that he'd get paid well, but the price tag may be able to be worked to favor the Browns thereby making him even more likely to stay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Plus I think Schobert exemplifies Smart, Tough, and Accountable on and off the field.

I think it bodes well for Joe Schobert staying in Cleveland.

I also wonder how realistic it is for him to get paid top LB money elsewhere around the league; that is, his agent can represent that they'll shop around, but he doesn't have the athletic profile or quick twitch or outward locker room leadership characteristics that get free-agent LB paid big bucks (CJ Mosley, etc).

I have no doubt that he'd get paid well, but the price tag may be able to be worked to favor the Browns thereby making him even more likely to stay.

The problem is, once Joe can test the waters, he won't be back. So you have a bit of a Catch-22 there, unfortunately. He has all the leverage here unless we tag him, which I believe we should if we can't get a reasonable--top-10 LB 💰, not top-5.

Quick twitch is something that matters but can't exactly be something we say to him as a leverage tactic unless we are trying to insult him.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

The problem is, once Joe can test the waters, he won't be back. So you have a bit of a Catch-22 there, unfortunately. He has all the leverage here unless we tag him, which I believe we should if we can't get a reasonable--top-10 LB 💰, not top-5.

Quick twitch is something that matters but can't exactly be something we say to him as a leverage tactic unless we are trying to insult him.

If hebgoes and so does randall we should get a couple of comp picks maybe a 3rd and a 5th, which means they eventually get replaced  

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

If hebgoes and so does randall we should get a couple of comp picks maybe a 3rd and a 5th, which means they eventually get replaced  

Only get comp picks if the browns don’t sign anyone worth while. I sure as hell hope they address some issues on FA, so that will play a role in the comp picks

• Like 1