2019 Wild Card Playoffs

Leader

52 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, I didn't like how Vrabel used it.  About 5.5 minutes left when it started.  You figure it's the Patriots, it's Tom Brady, you gotta believe they're going to grit out a drive over 4-5 minutes and at least score a field goal.  In that situation in the game, I want that drive of theirs over as soon as possible. 

If Vrabel doesn't use the tactic, NE has about 1 minute left from the 1 yard line rather than having 15 seconds.  I'd say he used it perfectly.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

If Vrabel doesn't use the tactic, NE has about 1 minute left from the 1 yard line rather than having 15 seconds.  I'd say he used it perfectly.

No.  If one thing changes the game is not the same.  Reality doesn't work like this.  If they don't do that, it's literally a different universe.  The punt could be returned if punted from a different spot on the field.  The punt could go into the end zone for a touchback.  The mentality of the game changes.  Perhaps a different play is called. 

You can only speculate as to what happens from the point before what you're speculating on happens. 

I hate this excuse.  "If so and so doesn't fumble the first snap of the game we would have won..." is a terrible football argument.  For all you know the next play he fumbles and it's returned for a touchdown.

Thankfully it worked out for Vrabel.  However, if I was in that situation, I would not have:

1. Given the Patriots extra motivation.
2. Given the Patriots a chance to run the ball and take up 5 minutes, leaving you no time to come back and score again. 

That's all you can discuss in this scenario.  You cannot assume the Patriots have to punt like they did and that the Dolphins would have to punt back again. 

All you can discuss in this scenario is:

Do you give the Patriots the ball with 6 minutes left or 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter when you are up by one point? 

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No.  If one thing changes the game is not the same.  Reality doesn't work like this.  If they don't do that, it's literally a different universe.  The punt could be returned if punted from a different spot on the field.  The punt could go into the end zone for a touchback.  The mentality of the game changes.  Perhaps a different play is called. 

You can only speculate as to what happens from the point before what you're speculating on happens. 

I hate this excuse.  "If so and so doesn't fumble the first snap of the game we would have won..." is a terrible football argument.  For all you know the next play he fumbles and it's returned for a touchdown.

Thankfully it worked out for Vrabel.  However, if I was in that situation, I would not have:

1. Given the Patriots extra motivation.
2. Given the Patriots a chance to run the ball and take up 5 minutes, leaving you no time to come back and score again. 

That's all you can discuss in this scenario.  You cannot assume the Patriots have to punt like they did and that the Dolphins would have to punt back again. 

All you can discuss in this scenario is:

Do you give the Patriots the ball with 6 minutes left or 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter when you are up by one point? 

Rather than your imaginary scenario, I will discuss the fact that NE received the ball with 15 seconds left rather than one minute.  Vrabel played it perfectly.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Rather than your imaginary scenario, I will discuss the fact that NE received the ball with 15 seconds left rather than one minute.  Vrabel played it perfectly.

I'm going to try to be clear here. 

Yes, Vrabel made the right call. 

I AM DISCUSSING A HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO HERE. 

In a hypothetical scenario of being ahead by one point with approximately 6 minutes left in an obvious punting scenario, I punt with 6 minutes left assuming that it is harder for a team to run the clock down to less than 20 seconds and kick a game winning field goal with 6 minutes left rather than with 5 minutes left. 

That's all I said.  You can try to act smug and confident in yourself since yes, Vrabel made the right call.  Do you need me to say it again? 

VRABEL MADE THE RIGHT CALL.

Say a team went for it on 4th and 97 while they were down by 2 points and there was 10 minutes left in the game and they converted the 4th and 97.  I would say, "Wow, I don't like that call of going for it on 4th and 97 and in that situation I would rather have punted."