2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

15 minutes ago, xenajets said:

He was a speed demon wasn’t he? Could he be a cheap replacement if Robby walks? 

Not as fast as Robby, but same type of receiver. He’s not much different than Devin Smith. Has a very documented injury history so he feels like more of a stopgap player which I’m OK with. Try to get him on a non-guaranteed contract and have him compete for a job.

56 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Not as fast as Robby, but same type of receiver. He’s not much different than Devin Smith. Has a very documented injury history so he feels like more of a stopgap player which I’m OK with. Try to get him on a non-guaranteed contract and have him compete for a job.

Yeah I read he made $17m over the last two years in Washington so he won’t be short a few dollars! May sign somewhere on a 1yr prove it deal. Gil Brandt posted his best fits for FA and said New England may target Robby. I’d hate to see that and for the sake of a few million would rather get Robby tied down to an extension. 

14 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Perriman had played well in final 5 games for TB so I can see he stay with them.

Randall Cobb and Emmanuel Sanders could be a good short term fix. The cheaper one would be fine with me.

I’ve mocked Cobb to ya several times. Should be a cheaper option and can play any of the WR spots. Given his age... he shouldn’t command a ton of money. Where as I think someone will overpay for Perriman.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Robby is expected to not be resigned by the Jets. The gage on the market for him is around 14mill per.

We are 100% right to let him walk at that price. For those who don’t know what that puts him at... that makes him a top 15 highest paid WR.

14m is a lot of money but being realistic it will be tough to attract WR’s here at the min. We should be enhancing Sams weapons not taking them away. 

Obviously if we sign a premier WR and then draft a couple in a stacked class then all well and good but I would worry going into the draft with just Crowder as a starter. 

25 minutes ago, xenajets said:

14m is a lot of money but being realistic it will be tough to attract WR’s here at the min. We should be enhancing Sams weapons not taking them away. 

Obviously if we sign a premier WR and then draft a couple in a stacked class then all well and good but I would worry going into the draft with just Crowder as a starter. 

We need to be building the WR group through the draft regardless.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We need to be building the WR group through the draft regardless.

I love the Steelers way of doing things. Draft WRs on day 2 and 3 every year/every other year. We may have a hiccup this year, but the Jets can time things properly without skipping a beat if Adam Gase can adjust (admittedly not a given). The 6-step plan below will result for continued success in the passing game going forward: 

1. Invest top resources (cash and 1st round picks) in OL. A must. Need to keep the QB clean and need to create more holes for the RBs. 
  2. Sign a few cheaper guys in FA who can be temporary WRs. Steeler's replaced Antonio Brown with Donte Moncrief. That didn't last long. He quickly replaced by rookie Diontae Johnson and released. Granted, I realize they already had invested picks in JuJu and James Washington in 2017/2018, but you get where I'm going with this. If they pan out great, it just accelerates the rebuild, but if not there will be no sweat off anyone's back. 
  3. Invest day 2 and day 3 picks on WRs in 2020. I'd prefer the Jets take 3 of them. Ideally you want guys who are complementary to one-another but can play multiple positions, especially the slot in case Crowder were to go down (considering he has an injury history). 
  4. Build the 2020 passing game around Crowder, Herndon, and Bell. This was supposed to be the plan last year, but Herndon was never able to stay on the field. Darnold likes throwing in the middle of the field and thrives when plays break down, which is why he most routinely target guys who aren't covered man-to-man (the TE, slot, and RBs). Herndon doesn't have a documented injury history prior to this year, so odds are he should stay healthy but thankfully he has a solid backup in Griffin. Bell needs to be utilized as a receiver more often. Crowder is the focal point of the WRs mainly because of the role he plays in the slot so again, make sure there is a guy that can replace him if he were to go down. 
  5. Be more run-centric to complement the strong defense. Jets were not able to do this in 2019, even though they wanted to, because they were down too often. I don't know the length of Gregg Williams' contract, usually it's 2 years for assistants. There's no guarantee he or Bell will be back for 2021, so ride them while you have them. Either draft a RB in the mid rounds or sign someone to complement Bell.
  6. 2021 and beyond: Sam Darnold ready to make it "his" team. Jets rookie WRs ready to take a year 2 leap, and Jets draft another WR regardless of round depending how the draft falls, and continue investing so that if multiple of the 2020 WRs end up being good, the Jets won't be in a tough place when they need to start handing out extensions. 

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I love the Steelers way of doing things. Draft WRs on day 2 and 3 every year/every other year. We may have a hiccup this year, but the Jets can time things properly without skipping a beat if Adam Gase can adjust (admittedly not a given). The 6-step plan below will result for continued success in the passing game going forward: 

1. Invest top resources (cash and 1st round picks) in OL. A must. Need to keep the QB clean and need to create more holes for the RBs. 
  2. Sign a few cheaper guys in FA who can be temporary WRs. Steeler's replaced Antonio Brown with Donte Moncrief. That didn't last long. He quickly replaced by rookie Diontae Johnson and released. Granted, I realize they already had invested picks in JuJu and James Washington in 2017/2018, but you get where I'm going with this. If they pan out great, it just accelerates the rebuild, but if not there will be no sweat off anyone's back. 
  3. Invest day 2 and day 3 picks on WRs in 2020. I'd prefer the Jets take 3 of them. Ideally you want guys who are complementary to one-another but can play multiple positions, especially the slot in case Crowder were to go down (considering he has an injury history). 
  4. Build the 2020 passing game around Crowder, Herndon, and Bell. This was supposed to be the plan last year, but Herndon was never able to stay on the field. Darnold likes throwing in the middle of the field and thrives when plays break down, which is why he most routinely target guys who aren't covered man-to-man (the TE, slot, and RBs). Herndon doesn't have a documented injury history prior to this year, so odds are he should stay healthy but thankfully he has a solid backup in Griffin. Bell needs to be utilized as a receiver more often. Crowder is the focal point of the WRs mainly because of the role he plays in the slot so again, make sure there is a guy that can replace him if he were to go down. 
  5. Be more run-centric to complement the strong defense. Jets were not able to do this in 2019, even though they wanted to, because they were down too often. I don't know the length of Gregg Williams' contract, usually it's 2 years for assistants. There's no guarantee he or Bell will be back for 2021, so ride them while you have them. Either draft a RB in the mid rounds or sign someone to complement Bell.
  6. 2021 and beyond: Sam Darnold ready to make it "his" team. Jets rookie WRs ready to take a year 2 leap, and Jets draft another WR regardless of round depending how the draft falls, and continue investing so that if multiple of the 2020 WRs end up being good, the Jets won't be in a tough place when they need to start handing out extensions. 

But this is what I’m saying... for example in mocks you’ve had you have us resigning DT and signing Sharpe right? We have Crowder. So these rookies than become guys who barely play, unless an injury occurs. Gase might be coaching for his job next season (not saying I agree or disagree with it). So he will be playing who gives him the best chance to win. And vets “more than likely” will do that. Meaning that these mid round hopefuls... show us nothing and we have no clue or production from them going into next year. We spend more valuable picks in a WR and now you’d have to assume purely on talent that that guy should for sure start over the likes of DT or Sharpe. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But this is what I’m saying... for example in mocks you’ve had you have us resigning DT and signing Sharpe right? We have Crowder. So these rookies than become guys who barely play, unless an injury occurs. Gase might be coaching for his job next season (not saying I agree or disagree with it). So he will be playing who gives him the best chance to win. And vets “more than likely” will do that. Meaning that these mid round hopefuls... show us nothing and we have no clue or production from them going into next year. We spend more valuable picks in a WR and now you’d have to assume purely on talent that that guy should for sure start over the likes of DT or Sharpe. 

I always go for win now mode but I hope Gase, FO and even ownership should be patient and working on developing Darnold for real.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

My mock has nothing to do with what we're talking about right now. My mock is what I think happens, not what I'm suggesting. And even so, I don't see why you would clearly assume that Demaryius Thomas or Tajae Sharpe are some sort of world-beaters who are going to prevent a more talented player from playing even if it's a rookie... If DT comes back, it's as an emergency #3 option but more likely a veteran presence and WR4 who can play all 3 spots given his knowledge of the offense. Tajae Sharpe is a guy who can be a WR3, but if he falls short the Jets would have no problem demoting him the way they did Josh Bellamy... I mean I cited an example in Moncrief, who signed a 1 year, $9 million deal for a reason, in that he won the starting job yet was cut in week 6... signing a player to a deal does not lock them into the lineup. Pretty ignorant to just ignore that whole statement...

Anyway, If a rookie gives him the best chance to win, he'll be on the field. You can say what you want about Gase, but I think he's proven to us that he can give two ****s about what the players think... he's not a seniority type of guy, and he'll find ways to get talented young receivers involved just like he did Vyncint Smith, who played 30% of the snaps. Besides, keep in mind that Robby Anderson played 95.9% of the snaps. That was the 8th highest snap share of any WR in the league. Gase did that because he was head and shoulders above every other WR on the roster. Whoever replaces him will not be playing that many snaps, guaranteed. 

Besides, you fail to consider that receivers can get a lot of 1st team reps in practice even if they're not starters. We run a ton of 4 receiver sets and it's not like brining back Demaryius and Sharpe will result in them playing 100% of the snaps; all the players will get plenty of reps. 

Furthermore, you're taking the notation that young players "need to be on the field to get experience" a little too literally. QB is the one position where reps are not plentiful in practice or in the game; it's a cerebral position and there is no other position in sports that can compare. Not the same for other positions. On top of that, I would argue that WR and CB are the two most projectable positions WITHOUT game reps because  because so much of their skill set is based on physical ability and technique rather than actually thinking.  Maybe not playing in a game will show YOU nothing, but coaches and execs will be able to determine whether a player has it or not in practice, in the preseason, and in games. There are so many examples of receivers playing in limited roles that go on to having huge roles in their 2nd year. DJ Chark is one off the top of my head. Dede Westbrook. Tyler Boyd. Michael Gallup. Christian Kirk. Curtis Samuel. Chris Godwin. I guarantee you almost all those guys went from below 50% in year 1 to well above 75% in year 2. Heck some of them may have been lower than 30% year 1.

Overall what you're saying is flimsy. If we had 3 proven guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Robby Anderson, and Jamison Crowder, I'd say maybe you had an argument, but Demaryius Thomas and Tajae Sharpe are not even remotely close to that category. I mean that with all do respect, but I just don't know what more to say. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

My mock has nothing to do with what we're talking about right now. My mock is what I think happens, not what I'm suggesting. And even so, I don't see why you would clearly assume that Demaryius Thomas or Tajae Sharpe are some sort of world-beaters who are going to prevent a more talented player from playing even if it's a rookie... If DT comes back, it's as an emergency #3 option but more likely a veteran presence and WR4 who can play all 3 spots given his knowledge of the offense. Tajae Sharpe is a guy who can be a WR3, but if he falls short the Jets would have no problem demoting him the way they did Josh Bellamy... I mean I cited an example in Moncrief, who signed a 1 year, $9 million deal for a reason, in that he won the starting job yet was cut in week 6... signing a player to a deal does not lock them into the lineup. Pretty ignorant to just ignore that whole statement...

Anyway, If a rookie gives him the best chance to win, he'll be on the field. You can say what you want about Gase, but I think he's proven to us that he can give two ****s about what the players think... he's not a seniority type of guy, and he'll find ways to get talented young receivers involved just like he did Vyncint Smith, who played 30% of the snaps. Besides, keep in mind that Robby Anderson played 95.9% of the snaps. That was the 8th highest snap share of any WR in the league. Gase did that because he was head and shoulders above every other WR on the roster. Whoever replaces him will not be playing that many snaps, guaranteed. 

Besides, you fail to consider that receivers can get a lot of 1st team reps in practice even if they're not starters. We run a ton of 4 receiver sets and it's not like brining back Demaryius and Sharpe will result in them playing 100% of the snaps; all the players will get plenty of reps. 

Furthermore, you're taking the notation that young players "need to be on the field to get experience" a little too literally. QB is the one position where reps are not plentiful in practice or in the game; it's a cerebral position and there is no other position in sports that can compare. Not the same for other positions. On top of that, I would argue that WR and CB are the two most projectable positions WITHOUT game reps because  because so much of their skill set is based on physical ability and technique rather than actually thinking.  Maybe not playing in a game will show YOU nothing, but coaches and execs will be able to determine whether a player has it or not in practice, in the preseason, and in games. There are so many examples of receivers playing in limited roles that go on to having huge roles in their 2nd year. DJ Chark is one off the top of my head. Dede Westbrook. Tyler Boyd. Michael Gallup. Christian Kirk. Curtis Samuel. Chris Godwin. I guarantee you almost all those guys went from below 50% in year 1 to well above 75% in year 2. Heck some of them may have been lower than 30% year 1.

Overall what you're saying is flimsy. If we had 3 proven guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Robby Anderson, and Jamison Crowder, I'd say maybe you had an argument, but Demaryius Thomas and Tajae Sharpe are not even remotely close to that category. I mean that with all do respect, but I just don't know what more to say. 

I don’t have enough confidence in Gase to think he’ll start mid round rookies over vets. That’s my opinion.