2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Do you think Jets should let Brian Winters and Henry Anderson talk to other team for new contract so Jets could receive practice squad picks (5th-7th rounds) instead of trying team to team trade talk according to legal nfl calendar aka Alex Lewis type trade?

Winters has to go. I think Anderson is getting paid too much, but DLinmean sub in and out. We could sue several good guys there. So im not so fast to move on from him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Winters has to go. I think Anderson is getting paid too much, but DLinmean sub in and out. We could sue several good guys there. So im not so fast to move on from him.

Agreed. We don't really save anything with Anderson, I'd try to keep our depth on the DL since Williams likes to rotate guys. 

Winters is a clean $7.2 mil saved, no dead money. Hes a goner. Hes always injured and his play is not that good, we need to upgrade. Throw that money towards a guy like Thuney who is better and more durable. 

I'd see if I could restructure some contracts ,we are loaded with cap space in 2021 cause a lot of these bad contracts that we are hitting with dead money this year will be gone. But of course that will change once we sign FAs and most likely will give larger cap hits in 2021 where we have like $150 mil in cap space available. So I expect Douglas to utilize some of that for FA, but also we have to lock up Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, and others. 

We could get rid of Anderson cleanly in 2021 with a savings of $9.5 mil. So He will most likely be a Jet unless traded this season, then hes gone.

We have some good young talent on the DL. I think Quinnen Williams is gonna be much better year 2, he flashed but needs a offseason of NFL training. 

That Trumaine Johnson contract is a killer. Dead money throughout. That is why I don't want to spend big on a CB, rather try for bargains, we been burned too much on CB. Rather utilize money and get a stud EDGE rusher that are available in FA. Draft young CBs and maybe sign a bargain veteran at CB. 

Roberts will get released, hes a $6 mil saving and hes not good. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Agreed. We don't really save anything with Anderson, I'd try to keep our depth on the DL since Williams likes to rotate guys. 

Winters is a clean $7.2 mil saved, no dead money. Hes a goner. Hes always injured and his play is not that good, we need to upgrade. Throw that money towards a guy like Thuney who is better and more durable. 

I'd see if I could restructure some contracts ,we are loaded with cap space in 2021 cause a lot of these bad contracts that we are hitting with dead money this year will be gone. But of course that will change once we sign FAs and most likely will give larger cap hits in 2021 where we have like $150 mil in cap space available. So I expect Douglas to utilize some of that for FA, but also we have to lock up Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, and others. 

We could get rid of Anderson cleanly in 2021 with a savings of $9.5 mil. So He will most likely be a Jet unless traded this season, then hes gone.

We have some good young talent on the DL. I think Quinnen Williams is gonna be much better year 2, he flashed but needs a offseason of NFL training. 

That Trumaine Johnson contract is a killer. Dead money throughout. That is why I don't want to spend big on a CB, rather try for bargains, we been burned too much on CB. Rather utilize money and get a stud EDGE rusher that are available in FA. Draft young CBs and maybe sign a bargain veteran at CB. 

Roberts will get released, hes a $6 mil saving and hes not good. 

I talked about some movements via trade, not cut.   Jets can save completely by trading either or both Winters and Anderson.  However, I had more time to review it and made a decision that keeping Anderson won't affect Jets' salary cap (including some major cut on other players).

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah.. I am fine with Jets riding out on Bell and Anderson for 2020.  Now, it is down to Winters and Williamson for a potential trade.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jamal Adams' agents may use CJ Mosley as a blueprint for Adams' new contract with Jets, which is a whopping 17.5m annually.  Oaf! I honestly don't know what to think.

Trading Mosley for 4th round pick as a salary dump move?   Up yours, Adams?  whatever!

I’m all for keeping Adams... but why are we paying a whole offseason even before his 5th year option? That’s using cap space just to use it. Which we need to actually make the roster better. I get the nfl is a business. And guys deserve “x” amount of money. But he has a contract to honor. He’s getting paid well for a high 1st rounder. It’s not like he was an udfa. Adams wants to be a leader... then he should understand that that 10mill more he’d command in cap space this year needs to go to make the roster better to give this team a chance to win. He will get his money. But he has a contract to honor 1st.

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m all for keeping Adams... but why are we paying a whole offseason even before his 5th year option? That’s using cap space just to use it. Which we need to actually make the roster better. I get the nfl is a business. And guys deserve “x” amount of money. But he has a contract to honor. He’s getting paid well for a high 1st rounder. It’s not like he was an udfa. Adams wants to be a leader... then he should understand that that 10mill more he’d command in cap space this year needs to go to make the roster better to give this team a chance to win. He will get his money. But he has a contract to honor 1st.

To avoid a potential holdout. That's all I think of.  

11 hours ago, JetsandI said:

To avoid a potential holdout. That's all I think of.  

That’s a whole offseason away though. Let him play under his contract this year and next year pay him. The gap between his 5th year option and his new salary is ALOT smaller than this year to his new contract. Us increasing his salary early can and will prevent us from doing what we want in the offseason in FA it even in trades. It’s unnecessary to pay him this early. Go after the big name FAs instead. Bc Adams has 2 years still left on his deal.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s a whole offseason away though. Let him play under his contract this year and next year pay him. The gap between his 5th year option and his new salary is ALOT smaller than this year to his new contract. Us increasing his salary early can and will prevent us from doing what we want in the offseason in FA it even in trades. It’s unnecessary to pay him this early. Go after the big name FAs instead. Bc Adams has 2 years still left on his deal.

From a player's stance, holding out on low year salary is the best way to do.   Once his 5th year option is exercised he can begin to holdout for 4th season and receive small amount of fine. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

From a player's stance, holding out on low year salary is the best way to do.   Once his 5th year option is exercised he can begin to holdout for 4th season and receive small amount of fine. 

He and his agent elected to get most of the contract as a signing bonus. Thats not the Jets problem. He isn't due that much this year salary wise and thats bc he took 14 of his 22mill as a signing bonus. He needs to understand that. He will get his money. Just not this off season. We have to make the roster better and him taking our cap up another 10+mill wont help that. He's a very selfish player and really starting to rub me the wrong way. He on the outside acts like a leader but deep down isnt one when push comes to shove. I want him to stay a Jet. But this sint how contracts work. No one else outside of maybe a QB is having to pay their 1st Round QBs this offseason from the 2017 draft. He has a contract to honor then he will get paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He and his agent elected to get most of the contract as a signing bonus. Thats not the Jets problem. He isn't due that much this year salary wise and thats bc he took 14 of his 22mill as a signing bonus. He needs to understand that. He will get his money. Just not this off season. We have to make the roster better and him taking our cap up another 10+mill wont help that. He's a very selfish player and really starting to rub me the wrong way. He on the outside acts like a leader but deep down isnt one when push comes to shove. I want him to stay a Jet. But this sint how contracts work. No one else outside of maybe a QB is having to pay their 1st Round QBs this offseason from the 2017 draft. He has a contract to honor then he will get paid.

As much as I LOVE Adams, which I believe is well documented, you're 100% right. I've always been a huge advocate of players approaching negotiations with a business first mindset - it's their right and the financially responsible thing to do, but as you've stated, he has an obligation to fulfill before those negotiations need to take place. If JD decides to extend him, so be it, but he needs to understand that would be a gift. 

10 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

As much as I LOVE Adams, which I believe is well documented, you're 100% right. I've always been a huge advocate of players approaching negotiations with a business first mindset - it's their right and the financially responsible thing to do, but as you've stated, he has an obligation to fulfill before those negotiations need to take place. If JD decides to extend him, so be it, but he needs to understand that would be a gift. 

Exactly. Or extend him with his cap hit being very close to the same this year. He has a leg to stand on in the 2021 offseason. But not this offseason.

Zeke Elliott didn't honor the rookie deal and won the new contract.  Granted, he owns more explosive statistic than Adams but the opportunity is open for full 3 year players.

Jets already said they wanted Adams for long time and Adams is portrayed as the soul and heart of the defense by Jets community or Adam Gase, himself. Those two solid reasons why Adams can afford to gamble a tolled season for new contract like Zeke did. 

Only thing that I don't know if he will actually explore the Zeke opportunity this winter or wait until next offseason to play holdout game like Aaron Donald.  It doesn't matter what we the fans think Adams should or shouldn't.   Very pleased with Adams if he stays with Jets until next offseason. Barking cussingly at him for pulling the Zeke on Jets. Whatever!

Edit:   per Rich Cimini, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Luke Kuechly and Robert Quinn were only defensive players to sign extension prior to 4th year. umm.

Edited by JetsandI