2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Whom do you think Jets can sign for right price, Bud Dupree or Dante Flower Jr?   Both have good run stoppers with hot sack number of last year.   Yannick Ngakoue and Jadeveon Clowney have to play at the same spot to be a complete pass rusher.  50m for that?  Yuck!    Surely Ngakoue edges over Clowney due to health and true sack artist, but Jets ain't going to shell out big money just to play him for half of seasonal snaps.

Vic Beasley can be our situational pass rusher for 1/3 price of above average edge but I rather to have pass rusher that is good for 3 years under contract.

JPP and Robert Quinn can help Jets for at least 2 years.  Granted, they are aging but both have experience and played fine in both common version of defensive schemes.

I think we resign Jenkins and go after a guy like Beasley as mentioned before. The jets can’t tie up money in Jenkins AND a big name edge imo. This is if we of course spend in FA on OL like we should, taking up most of our cap space. We swing and miss on OL (which would be awful). Then I guess we have to get the best talents out there after that.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we resign Jenkins and go after a guy like Beasley as mentioned before. The jets can’t tie up money in Jenkins AND a big name edge imo. This is if we of course spend in FA on OL like we should, taking up most of our cap space. We swing and miss on OL (which would be awful). Then I guess we have to get the best talents out there after that.

I don't like that direction but it is a possibility.  We have a vastly varying ways to stabilize the defense.   For offensive side, there is no excuse since Jets are no Nolan Ryan.

42 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I don't like that direction but it is a possibility.  We have a vastly varying ways to stabilize the defense.   For offensive side, there is no excuse since Jets are no Nolan Ryan.

I mean with about 75mill in cap space we can’t afford to tie up 25mill of it up on edge rushers when we need offense BAD!!! Factor in what we need for the draft and having a few mill for in season moves... and that’s spending 40% of our space in edge when we already have a top 10 defense.

How incredible would it be if we could pull off signing all 3 of Thuney, Glasgow and Scherff? Very unlikely... but something to dream about. Draft an OT at 11 and roll with Edoga as the other OT. Our OL could be...

LT: Rookie (21 or 22)

LG: Thuney (27)

C: Glasgow (28)

RG: Scherff (28)

RT: Edoga (23)

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Some juicy free agency takes from yesterday, for what they are worth... 

One of my friends works for CAA, is getting ready to spend a month on the road so we caught up and watched the XFL yesterday. He knows so little about football, which is ironic I know, but he works as a marketing consultant and serves as a resource to their agents. I leave it up to myself to connect the dots on stuff that he isn't privy to. He creates their promotional materials specifically tailored to certain players who they're trying to lure, so the combine is a big event for him every year. It's funny - he and my cousin grew up on the same street (a few years apart), but it's one of the few times they get together each year since she lives in Miami now and we all have crazy lives (good news is I'll have plenty of info to report on Feb 27 when I've finished my exam). He'll be working out of the LA office prior to the combine, then spends the week in Indy, and returns to LA for a few weeks before returning back to NY. Last year he correctly tipped me on Bell (which in all fairness was obvious), Crowder, and Edoga/Hardman as draft targets. He incorrectly tipped me on Paradis (which we have now learned Gase wanted but Maccagnan wouldn't budge). 

Anyway, here's what he has said: 

• EDGE Vic Beasley and WR Breshad Perriman are names often being linked with the Jets among those in the agency field. The Eagles are heavily linked to Perriman as well, and the Bucs are going to do what they can to keep him. Beasley is rumored to be "likely" an option for either of the New York teams.   
  • My take on Perriman: The Perriman connection is obvious: we have a lot of former Baltimore people in our front office, and the need for a deep threat receiver will arise once Robby gets paid (rumor has it he will get what Sammy Watkins got from KC, which is clearly out of our range). Perriman is going to have a heavy market as the "Robby Anderson-alt" for a number of teams.
  • My take on Beasley: Beasley's agent is part of Sexton's group that put together Gase/Douglas/Darnold over at CAA, which we predicted, but I think adding Beasley would be the cost-conscious alternative to what we had hoped for in Barr last year. Beasley's issue has always been that he's not an instinctual football player. He was a situational DE as a rookie and he played in a dual role in his 2nd year, but his stats were fluky. He doesn't have the size or play strength to hold up at DE, but he doesn't have the processing ability and fundamentals to play LB in Quinn's defense. He needs to be in a scheme that allows him to think less and attack more, whether it be situationally and every down, in a position where he's not constantly worn down by going up against the RT out of a 3-point stance on a run down. Best chance for him to be effective is back at SLB on early downs (if at all) and at the EDGE on rush downs.  

• Almost unanimous they will push hard for LG Thuney, RG Scherff, G/C Glasgow, as many of us have predicted. Many feel Conklin will end up back in Tennessee, but there is some noise that the Vikings could go after him. Scherff to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago, or Tennessee(!) all sound like they have legs in the community. Both Conklin and Scherff are going to cast very, very, very wide nets among the NFL if they reach the open market, so it's very hard to predict where they'll land, whereas its sounding like Thuney will become the highest paid G in the NFL and remain in the AFC East either with the Jets or Dolphins.  
  • My take: We've been speaking about this for a long time and we have connected Thuney/Scherff/Glasgow nauseam, but the clarity seems to be that the Jets will be throwing money at Thuney or Scherff. My guess is the Jets and Miami will be competing head-to-head for Thuney, and he'll remain in the AFC East. They have more than we do, but our advantage is that we're looking to come away with one premium player whereas they're spending their time courting several. I'm less confident on Scherff now than I was yesterday. Cleveland is in a similar situation that we are and they need both FAs and draft picks, and they hired Callahan. I guess Tennessee would consider him if they lost Conklin? Otherwise it appears he'll be on the radar of teams league-wide, and money may not be the top factor in his decision. I feel like the only scenario we were to get him is by blowing up the market and making him the highest paid G in the NFL. Hearing Conklin linked to MIN is another interesting one. The rumor is that Reiff could be getting cut, and my guess is they would move on from Reiff and consider shifting O'Neill to LT? Although they're not supposed to, teams often will try to figure out who they can get on the open market before releasing their own, and this kind of swap would make sense for them as they continue their quest for a Super Bowl run... just no idea how they would make it work from a financial perspective. Bares watching. 

• One player I would look out for - and possibly on a bigger contract then expected - is CB Trae Waynes. The Jets are rumored to be a team that will go after him. 
  • My take: This is something new. If he were signed, he'd most certainly become a #1/2 perimeter corner for us, and the second spot would be up for grabs (likely between the guys we have now + Canady assuming he resigns + a draft pick).  I’m hoping we can bring back Pool, but have to acknowledge that there exists a scenario where he walks. All indications have been that the Jets want him back, but may be a take-it or leave-it situation... Pool can only play in the slot, which limits his value, and we have personnel that can compete in the slot (Hairston, Maulet) plus it is a position the Jets can  and if Poole were to walk they’d likely bring in another 1 year prove-it guy like Anthony Brown, who was rumored to be included in a trade offer for Jamal Adams. 

Biggest takeaways: 

• I'm thinking the Jets will land LG Joe Thuney. We will have to spend a lot for him, but the Jets will deem it worth it. Our primary issue last year was injuries, and we're talking about a guy who has missed a handful in his entire career. Couple that with his skill set, and the fact that we'd be taking away from a division rival... all makes sense. Only team likely stopping us is Miami, so hopefully it Gase has extra motivation to stick-it to them when preparing his pitch. 
  • I'm maintaining my stance that G/C Graham Glasgow will be a Jet. So much flexibility with him and he's a very good player. When you need to fill 4-out-of-5 spots, you want to acquire the best guys, and adding him allows the Jets to enter the draft with an open mind, especially in Day 2 and 3. For example, if Douglas has a guy on his board that he believes is a sure-fire day 1 starter at G or C, and he's sitting there at 68 or 79, it makes his decision that much easier knowing he can find a spot for him on the starting lineup, whereas if you have a guy that can only play C or only play RG, options become limited. 
  • CB Trae Waynes sounds real, but it may only be if the money is right. I can't see all that money going into the OL, then re-signing Poole AND signing Waynes. It would be great to see them both signed; I can get on board with a Waynes-Austin-Poole combo real quick. 
  • EDGE Vic Beasley sounds real too, but I think the Jets will do their due diligence and aim higher first. Pairing him with Jenkins and a draft pick would be solid. I still won't rule out a trade for Leonard Floyd, and I think the Jets will go down that avenue first, but Beasley would be the most cost efficient option without having to give up assets. 
  • Fans are going to be upset with how we address WR. I don't think we'll land Perriman because the market will be big, and that likely means we'll end up with guys who are more of 3rd/4th options. WRs Devin Funchess and Tajae Sharpe are guys who I think the Jets will consider, while filling out the rest of the receiver group in the draft. 

Really like all the players mentioned especially outside the box players like Waynes who I really like. May be expensive though?? 

I had us signing Funchess in my mock recently and would imagine he’d be a cheap alternative to Anderson or Perriman but clearly doesn’t have that top end speed like those two. 

I’d love us to go sign 2/3 quality lineman in FA. Would send a clear sense of direction and purpose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

There are a number of reasons, but primarily because media people are not great at stacking their rankings/have take them with a grain of salt. I mean, they have Thuney rated 30th... 

More directly, the Lions approach to usage with Glasgow over his 4 year career has been inconsistent. In 2016, he played all 3 interior line positions, appearing in 15 and starting 11 of them. In 2017 he won the starting LG job, but filled in at C for 5 games when Swanson went down. In 2018, they selected Frank Ragnow (a center) in round 1, but started him at LG, and made Glasgow their full-time center. Ragnow was clearly not as productive at G as he was at C, so in 2019 they moved him to C, and Glasgow to RG but they decided to “shuffle” their interior lineup frequently—even mid-game—with Glasgow and Joe Dahl flipping between RG/LG and sometimes subbing Wiggins in for Dahl. It was odd.

Why this all matters? Kind of hard to make a name for yourself when your not settled into one position, but on the flip side, I think media members underestimate how valuable it is to have a guy who can play 3 OL positions at an above average level. Every stat suggests he’s been a reliable, above average starter every year of his career. He is going to get PAID

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

There are a number of reasons, but primarily because media people are not great at stacking their rankings/have take them with a grain of salt. I mean, they have Thuney rated 30th... 

More directly, the Lions approach to usage with Glasgow over his 4 year career has been inconsistent. In 2016, he played all 3 interior line positions, appearing in 15 and starting 11 of them. In 2017 he won the starting LG job, but filled in at C for 5 games when Swanson went down. In 2018, they selected Frank Ragnow (a center) in round 1, but started him at LG, and made Glasgow their full-time center. Ragnow was clearly not as productive at G as he was at C, so in 2019 they moved him to C, and Glasgow to RG but they decided to “shuffle” their interior lineup frequently—even mid-game—with Glasgow and Joe Dahl flipping between RG/LG and sometimes subbing Wiggins in for Dahl. It was odd.

Why this all matters? Kind of hard to make a name for yourself when your not settled into one position, but on the flip side, I think media members underestimate how valuable it is to have a guy who can play 3 OL positions at an above average level. Every stat suggests he’s been a reliable, above average starter every year of his career. He is going to get PAID

I want him bad. Its great to have a guy like him that will allow us to go BPA on the OL in the draft. Meaning if in the mid rounds we really like a C in Round 3 to start... draft him and move Glasgow to G. Opposite if we see a G we really like in the 3rd than move Glasgow to C. Flexibility is great with him.

14 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I can understand that Thuney is at 30 because Patriots' blocking technique is different than most of NFL. Whoever works out with that technique may struggle to learn new technique elsewhere.  Still, Thuney is intelligent enough to pick up new technique.

Thanks on Glasgow part.  Confusing with usage is a concern. NFL coaches research deeper than media people do so yeah he will get paid.

Glasgow and Scherff would be my primary targets once free agency starts. Thuney I would be hesitant because of how NE OL perform outside the organization and the contract he'd command. Dennis Kelly, Beachum, Vitai and Lewis are all guys I could see starting for us as well potentially.

Defensively I dont think we need a single dominant player but more depth on the outside since we are so strong up the middle(DL, LB and S)

Beasley and Darby would be clutch along with bringing back Jenkins and Poole. Add in another Safety to give Adams the ability to still roam if we ever feel the need to sit in 2 Deep some games and we're set.

At Wide Receiver it would be nice to steal Sanders from SF but that would be tough, would love it if they lured Robby over there and it set him free. I also like Perriman as he's a little more versatile than RA. Bring back DT, Q and look to draft another receiver.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Glasgow and Scherff would be my primary targets once free agency starts. Thuney I would be hesitant because of how NE OL perform outside the organization and the contract he'd command. Dennis Kelly, Beachum, Vitai and Lewis are all guys I could see starting for us as well potentially.

Defensively I dont think we need a single dominant player but more depth on the outside since we are so strong up the middle(DL, LB and S)

Beasley and Darby would be clutch along with bringing back Jenkins and Poole. Add in another Safety to give Adams the ability to still roam if we ever feel the need to sit in 2 Deep some games and we're set.

At Wide Receiver it would be nice to steal Sanders from SF but that would be tough, would love it if they lured Robby over there and it set him free. I also like Perriman as he's a little more versatile than RA. Bring back DT, Q and look to draft another receiver.

I think that would be an awful take at WR this off season. To expect anything out of Q (I personally want him cut) is optimistic. DT is a shell of himself. I could be talked into him coming back for cheap for a vet there for our hopefully at least 2 rookies we draft. But make his snap count limited and let the rookies go. I dont see Sanders coming here. I think it would be an awful mistake to think we'd be getting the Denver WR duo here in 2020 like it was awhile ago. Its time to get new young blood. Perriman I like. But I have a feeling with the way he finished the year, he will cost more than we all think. And I do think we need to draft at least 2 WRs with quality picks in the draft, ideally 3.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that would be an awful take at WR this off season. To expect anything out of Q (I personally want him cut) is optimistic. DT is a shell of himself. I could be talked into him coming back for cheap for a vet there for our hopefully at least 2 rookies we draft. But make his snap count limited and let the rookies go. I dont see Sanders coming here. I think it would be an awful mistake to think we'd be getting the Denver WR duo here in 2020 like it was awhile ago. Its time to get new young blood. Perriman I like. But I have a feeling with the way he finished the year, he will cost more than we all think. And I do think we need to draft at least 2 WRs with quality picks in the draft, ideally 3.

Going into the draft with Perriman, Crowder, Sanders, Enunwa, DT, Smith, Chesson and Berrios would be awful? 

Sanders was really good for SF and DT is a solid vet to keep in house, like you said we don’t even have to sign him right away. 

Would you overpay Cooper if he hits the market? That could stop us from getting the OL help we need. 

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Going into the draft with Perriman, Crowder, Sanders, Enunwa, DT, Smith, Chesson and Berrios would be awful? 

Sanders was really good for SF and DT is a solid vet to keep in house, like you said we don’t even have to sign him right away. 

Would you overpay Cooper if he hits the market? That could stop us from getting the OL help we need. 

Thats my bad...

I think there's little to no chance Sanders comes here. And like I stated I think Perriman will cost too much for our liking (hence why we're probably wont resign Robby). So I pretty much crossed them off of what you posted. So I was more looking at a WR group of DT, Crowder, Enunwa, Smith Chesson and a rookie. Unless that rookie is Jeudy or Lamb (which I doubt). I dont like that group at all.