2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I said protecting him should be the priority. But taking some mid rounds shots on WRs that will have to start for us is risky with a hopeful franchise QB. 

What’s the alternative? Signing Cooper? Watkins? Trading for Diggs? 2nd Round should have some quality players and even into the 3rd let’s hope it falls in our favor. 

Humphries new deal most likely takes the Cardinals out of the OT market in round one, BIG win for us. 

Offensive lineman are going to get PAID this offseason and Humphries contract is indicative of that. I know he's an above average player but 15M per? 

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Humphries new deal most likely takes the Cardinals out of the OT market in round one, BIG win for us. 

Offensive lineman are going to get PAID this offseason and Humphries contract is indicative of that. I know he's an above average player but 15M per? 

Yeah,, Cardinals are stuck with him for first 2 seasons.  I am sure there are plenty of OL that wants more than 3 years for Jets. Expensive but flexible.

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

4 QB's go top 10- Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love

D-Linemen- Young, Brown, a riser

Okudah and Simmons(Jacksonville)

Leaves some combination of Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Jeudy, Lamb for us. Maybe even a trade back if someone wants to hop Oakland for a WR.

I think we can land 1 of the 4 OLineman. I think only 3 QBs go in top 10, 2-3 OL, Okudah, Young, Brown and/or Simmons as well.

I still stand by that I want OL... but Jeudy and Lamb from a BPA standpoint should be the pick for us.

15 hours ago, NJC33 said:

As was expected. What's clear is that he's guaranteed to be there for 2 years, and they fully intend on him sticking at LT, so they won't feel as pressured to take one as they would've been without him. 

Keim is less of a traditionalist and loves rare athletes. Since taking over in 2013, that's all its been (with the exception of the Josh Rosen selection, which I think he went against his nature in selecting him... it's been documented that their pick of the litter was Josh Allen, and once they missed out on him, he felt pressured to grab their next best QB prospect).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is look for the drafts rare athletes, regardless of position. I think Isaiah Simmons would be the guy he picks if he's still there. Tristan Wirfs is one that still makes a ton of sense for them, as he can play G or RT and fits their profile of player, but Becton/Wills are both superior athletes who can play RT as well. Another possibility is a curveball like Chaisson, and the DTs are a distinct possibility as well. 

Ultimately I don't think it changes much. Starting RT Justin Murray is a free agent and they have decisions to make on Gs Justin Pugh and JR Sweezy. They still need to work on that offensive line, and after investing a lot of money in Humphries, they'll probably favor cheaper alternatives in the draft on days 1 or 2. If Simmons and any of the top defenders are off the board, I still think there's a good chance they go OL at 8, but ironically I think that will be when the first OL comes off the board. 

The team to keep the closest eye on remains CLE. Their talent deficiencies along the OL are overstated (LG Bitonio and C Tretter are top-notch building block players), and I think they'll be another team who invest heavy resources into the OL in free agency. Considering the pressure to win and uncertainty in waiting for the draft, they can go the LA Rams route by signing a guy like Peters as a temporary LT fix, maybe pair some combination of Scherff/Glasgow/Bulaga/Conklin on the right side, and bring back Greg Robinson as security. In that scenario, it would make drafting a first round OL impractical. 

Anyway you cut it, I think the Jets will have a crack at one of the top 3 OL prospects come draft day. The top 7 picks will very likely contain 3 QBs, DE Young, CB Okudah, LB Simmons and/or DL Brown. For us, the draft really starts at 4. Gettleman's history points to no OL, and the only other team that would possibly consider one in the top 7 is the Chargers - who are very likely to be selecting a QB. If those things happen, we should have a realistic shot at one of the top 2 tackles. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

As was expected. What's clear is that he's guaranteed to be there for 2 years, and they fully intend on him sticking at LT, so they won't feel as pressured to take one as they would've been without him. 

Keim is less of a traditionalist and loves rare athletes. Since taking over in 2013, that's all its been (with the exception of the Josh Rosen selection, which I think he went against his nature in selecting him... it's been documented that their pick of the litter was Josh Allen, and once they missed out on him, he felt pressured to grab their next best QB prospect).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is look for the drafts rare athletes, regardless of position. I think Isaiah Simmons would be the guy he picks if he's still there. Tristan Wirfs is one that still makes a ton of sense for them, as he can play G or RT and fits their profile of player, but Becton/Wills are both superior athletes who can play RT as well. Another possibility is a curveball like Chaisson, and the DTs are a distinct possibility as well. 

Ultimately I don't think it changes much. Starting RT Justin Murray is a free agent and they have decisions to make on Gs Justin Pugh and JR Sweezy. They still need to work on that offensive line, and after investing a lot of money in Humphries, they'll probably favor cheaper alternatives in the draft on days 1 or 2. If Simmons and any of the top defenders are off the board, I still think there's a good chance they go OL at 8, but ironically I think that will be when the first OL comes off the board. 

The team to keep the closest eye on remains CLE. Their talent deficiencies along the OL are overstated (LG Bitonio and C Tretter are top-notch building block players), and I think they'll be another team who invest heavy resources into the OL in free agency. Considering the pressure to win and uncertainty in waiting for the draft, they can go the LA Rams route by signing a guy like Peters as a temporary LT fix, maybe pair some combination of Scherff/Glasgow/Bulaga/Conklin on the right side, and bring back Greg Robinson as security. In that scenario, it would make drafting a first round OL impractical. 

Anyway you cut it, I think the Jets will have a crack at one of the top 3 OL prospects come draft day. The top 7 picks will very likely contain 3 QBs, DE Young, CB Okudah, LB Simmons and/or DL Brown. For us, the draft really starts at 4. Gettleman's history points to no OL, and the only other team that would possibly consider one in the top 7 is the Chargers - who are very likely to be selecting a QB. If those things happen, we should have a realistic shot at one of the top 2 tackles. 

Cardinals are now working on Murray's deal.  Wirfs could be their G.

45 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Just curious about Eagles' swing T Vaitai.. Will he play at LT or RT or both for Jets?  

Lets not forget that Douglas was the engine behind the Eagles selecting Andre Dillard last year, so to say that Douglas would feel Vaitai is a guy you can build around is a long-shot. I think he'll be viewed as a premier swing tackle who can start at LT, RT, or G. So to answer your question, if the Jets did sign him, it likely would be to fill in whatever gap remains after the draft. 

Sounding like there will be a lot of player movement at the WR position RE: trades. Stefon Diggs is the player to watch, but teams who are not as ready to “win now” may consider moving their top receivers in exchange for high picks (DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Brandin Cooks just a few names being throw around). 

Makes sense for teams like CAR and LAC to consider moving a WR if it means getting a top pick in return, especially considering how deep this class is with potential replacements. That said, I wouldn’t move Moore if I’m CAROLINA; move Curtis Samuel instead, as he and McCaffery are a bit redundant anyway. 

10 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Sounding like there will be a lot of player movement at the WR position RE: trades. Stefon Diggs is the player to watch, but teams who are not as ready to “win now” may consider moving their top receivers in exchange for high picks (DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Brandin Cooks just a few names being throw around). 

Makes sense for teams like CAR and LAC to consider moving a WR if it means getting a top pick in return, especially considering how deep this class is with potential replacements. That said, I wouldn’t move Moore if I’m CAROLINA; move Curtis Samuel instead, as he and McCaffery are a bit redundant anyway. 

I just dont see JD trading valuable picks for a proven WR. Not saying I agree or disagree with that. I just dont see it happening. Ideally I'd like for us to do it for the right price. Not sure what the asking price for a guy like Diggs would be... but odds are he's better than anyone we would get outside or someone at 11. So trading any pick after that is actually arguably an upgrade than who'd we draft. We'd get a close to #1 WR while still being able to get our OT.