2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

4 minutes ago, Malik said:

Why would Bell change his style which has led to some of the most productive seasons in the history of the NFL to a coach who is a terrible people person and has accomplished nothing? On a human level it doesn't make sense.

I actually agree with this. Bell is proven. Gase isn’t.

• Like 3

I'll say one thing: I do like the way JD speaks to the media. I hadn't got around to watching him speak until watching his end of year press conference just now, but he does sound like a smart, competent guy. Hopefully that translates to good drafting and offseason moves.

17 hours ago, Malik said:

Why would Bell change his style which has led to some of the most productive seasons in the history of the NFL to a coach who is a terrible people person and has accomplished nothing? On a human level it doesn't make sense.

This is a mind-numbing take. Bell's style only works when you have blocking up front, period. It has nothing to do with "Bell is right and the coach is wrong" - his style is his style, but keep in mind that he had decent-to-elite offensive lines in Pittsburgh that had the talent/ability to sustain their blocks so that Bell could use his top-notch instincts to find the gaps as the play developed, which allowed him to make consistent 5+ yard gains. The outside-zone blocking scheme asks the running back to hit the hole fast and take the 3-5 yard gain with the anticipation that eventually a very good play design will reward you with a big run, especially when your offensive line isn't talented enough to sustain blocks for the additional 0.25-0.5 seconds. That said, if you don't have great blocking up front, the RB should opt to hit the slightly narrower hole the way the play is designed and take the 3-5 yard gain instead of a loss or no gain. It has nothing to do with Gase or any other coach - it's fundamental football.

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This is a mind-numbing take. Bell's style only works when you have blocking up front, period. It has nothing to do with "Bell is right and the coach is wrong" - his style is his style, but keep in mind that he had decent-to-elite offensive lines in Pittsburgh that had the talent/ability to sustain their blocks so that Bell could use his top-notch instincts to find the gaps as the play developed, which allowed him to make consistent 5+ yard gains. The outside-zone blocking scheme asks the running back to hit the hole fast and take the 3-5 yard gain with the anticipation that eventually a very good play design will reward you with a big run, especially when your offensive line isn't talented enough to sustain blocks for the additional 0.25-0.5 seconds. That said, if you don't have great blocking up front, the RB should opt to hit the slightly narrower hole the way the play is designed and take the 3-5 yard gain instead of a loss or no gain. It has nothing to do with Gase or any other coach - it's fundamental football.

It’s hands down a personnel issue. It was pointless to get Bell if the OL wasn’t upgraded (thanks Mac). So JD has to make a decision. Make the OL better and watch Bell thrive like he used to. Or move on without Bell bc you care to have a RB that hits the hole quickly even if the OL is upgraded. I think with JDs history it’s a given we will Improve at least 2-3 spots in the OL. I think we should only move on from Bell if we need the cap space to get those OLineman and other good FAs. What I don’t want to see is us barely upgrade the OL, trade Bell, let Robby walk and fill the RB spot with an average RB and average WRs. Why barely upgrade the OL and not improve the skill positions? That should be the sole focus of the offseason.

• Like 1

Bell had a good oline in Pitt, but he also performed at times when the Oline was injured and Big Ben was taking all those hits. The oline doesn't have to be elite, but it does have to be improved. 

All we have to do is improve the oline and add a couple of solid WRs. I want to bring back Lewis, sign 2 FA's and draft 2 OL early. Get the WRs where we can and we should be good on paper. 

defense, just someone on the Edge on the other side of Jenkins and a starting CB.

If we just trade players like Bell for mid-round picks, we're just creating more holes and hoping those picks come out as good as the players we let go. On paper, we're really close. 

None of our rbs looked good.  Our ol was pathetic. 

I'd stick with Bell for next year, hes guaranteed that year money wise anyways. 

Spend money on the ol in fa.

Re-sign-Brian Poole, Jordan Jenkins, Alex Lewis.

I'd try to find bargains at cb. Spend money on Edge, some good ones in fa. Depends on how much Jenkins cost though, but hes a hard worker and improved every year, jets need to show they reward their own. Hes a solid starter just not a dynamic edge, if we had josh allen we'd be set....

I'd think about bringing Beachum back, stop gap at lt.  Hes average and not special,  not a liability though.

11th overall I'm praying for Wirfs, maybe even aWillis. If we had Wirfs we plug him at RT, start Beacgum at LT. spend money on of. Alexis Lewis is more depth than a starter, hes always injured. We need a good center as well. 

If we sign brandon scherff and draft Wirfs.  Our run side becomes very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I would love to grab Floyd! Too bad we can't pull off a deal like Anderson + pick for Floyd.

Don’t think they’d take Anderson, they have a really good DL already and probably don’t wanna catch his cap numbers

On 1/3/2020 at 8:33 PM, Malik said:

It’s about doing what’s effective and putting the team first. If Powell for example can see hole, hit hole and help move the chains then Bell should do the same. 

As for the Gase critiques lol come on man this is Bell’s job, do what you’re told. 

Edited by KingOfTheDot
  • Like 1