2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Not that this means anything,  but Douglas seems like the most intelligent gm we had in a long time. 

The past 7 years of Idzik and Maccagnan haven't exactly set the bar high. 

I agree though, feels good to finally have a "football guy" in charge. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Basham impressed. Sack numbers weren't there but made plays and consistently set the edge. He led all Jets EDGE rushers in snaps this year (although Jenkins did miss time). Phillips was a lot like Basham, but less impactful as a pass rusher. Interested to see how he makes the sophomore jump. 

Jets are in an interesting spot with Jenkins. Coming off his best year with 8 sacks and only turning 26, do you resign him or let him walk and seek to add a bigger fish as his replacement (see: Ngakoue, Fowler, Dupree, Barrett, Clowney)? 

Personally I think the Jets should bring the band back together and see how effective the unit could be with Mosely/improved CBs/further developed Q. Can't solve every need in one offseason and Jenkins will be cheaper than those above stated FAs. Next year you can re-evaluate the position in greater detail, assuming you don't land a steal somewhere in tier-3 FA/outside of round 1 in the draft, and invest more heavily in the position next year. I don't think the Jets will be able to do both (sign Jenkins + top-tier FA/high draft pick)

I'm all for bringing Jenkins back. He ought to be significantly cheaper than the big-name replacements you mentioned, and he was effective enough and improving. I like keeping our own draftees around too.

If we have to make choices about where to spend limited funds, I'd absolutely prioritise OL and WR (as long as there are decent options for these two areas) before spending big dollars on a pass rusher. As much as it's great to have a top-tier edge guy (and we've been without since the days of Abraham), we have to fix this offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Basham impressed. Sack numbers weren't there but made plays and consistently set the edge. He led all Jets EDGE rushers in snaps this year (although Jenkins did miss time). Phillips was a lot like Basham, but less impactful as a pass rusher. Interested to see how he makes the sophomore jump. 

Jets are in an interesting spot with Jenkins. Coming off his best year with 8 sacks and only turning 26, do you resign him or let him walk and seek to add a bigger fish as his replacement (see: Ngakoue, Fowler, Dupree, Barrett, Clowney)? 

Personally I think the Jets should bring the band back together and see how effective the unit could be with Mosely/improved CBs/further developed Q. Can't solve every need in one offseason and Jenkins will be cheaper than those above stated FAs. Next year you can re-evaluate the position in greater detail, assuming you don't land a steal somewhere in tier-3 FA/outside of round 1 in the draft, and invest more heavily in the position next year. I don't think the Jets will be able to do both (sign Jenkins + top-tier FA/high draft pick)

We don’t resign Jenkins and this franchise has issues deeper than I even think. Guy is a leader and does a job. Put a pure pass rusher with legit skill opposite him and his numbers will be even better. He’s our Calvin Pace but homegrown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We don’t resign Jenkins and this franchise has issues deeper than I even think. Guy is a leader and does a job. Put a pure pass rusher with legit skill opposite him and his numbers will be even better. He’s our Calvin Pace but homegrown.

Price matters tho right? What if his asking price is well above his production? I don’t wanna lose him but you get the point.

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

What’s going with Leonard Williams? Are the Giants not considering resigning him? 

I thought it was an even trade at the time and was happy. Looking back, we fleeced the Giants.

I hope he resigns bc then our 5th next year goes to a 4th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If signing one of those big pass rushers effects our dollars for the OL then I don't want.  But I still think Jenkins, Basham and FA would be money for this defense then we can draft all OL/WR/CB

Lots of pass rushers on the market. We def need someone with speed. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm hoping Ngakoue and JJ are starting for us next season. If we're drafting an OLB, then I hope we sign someone like Beasley for rotation and competition. 

Jacksonville will franchise Ngakoue before they’d let him go. Dupree and Fowler are the 2 best guys that realistically might hit FA.