Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

Here is the thing with Brady and Brees. They each cost a bunch against the cap by not being there (dead cap) and you have to pile the new contract on top.

• Brady is at 6.75 million (or 13.5 million) before adding a penny of 2020 salary.
  • Brees is at 15.9 million (or 21.3 million) before adding a penny of 2020 salary.
    • Note: The higher number is if they don't stay on the team (all the dead cap comes due in 2020 in that case)

If NE does decide to give Brady 30+ million then you are looking at a 37+ million cap hit.

If NO does give Brees 20+ million then you are looking at a 36+ million cap hit.

New Orleans has between 9.5 and 10.5 million in cap space right now.

• Peat, Apple, Williams, Klein, Bell, and both backup QBs are free agents.

New England has between 42 and 46 million in cap space

• They have McCourty, Collins, VanNoy, Slater, Roberts, Shelton, and Thuney as free agents.
  • They also desperately need WR and TE help.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sherm said:

Idk honestly. I didn't think it would get this far without him having a long term deal. If they tag him and then work out a long term deal with Amari...I wonder how that will play in the locker room.

I think it's going to be awful.  You have to remember that Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder.  He hasn't been paid very much through the first few years of his career.  I'm sure he wants a long term deal and he deserves it.  I think it's going to get ugly if they don't ink out a deal. 

48 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Honestly believe that is exactly the plan. Kirk Cousins style ala Washington. It's funny how Dak was praised for doing exactly what Jerry asked of him (Show up to camp, say all the right things, have his best statistical season) yet somehow it doesn't result in a long term contract in 2019 but a Franchise Tag 2020.

I hope he holds out Emmitt Style and No shows till a contract is reached. Hell Trent Williams / Vincent Jackson until Week 11. I think the prorated 6 gms played from the Tag # ,is more then last years salary or pretty damn close? 

You think there's a chance that Dallas might end the Dak era after next season is over?

Just now, showtime said:

I think it's going to be awful.  You have to remember that Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder.  He hasn't been paid very much through the first few years of his career.  I'm sure he wants a long term deal and he deserves it.  I think it's going to get ugly if they don't ink out a deal. 

Honestly? He could take a far worse financial philosophy then following the Kirk Cousins model. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly? He could take a far worse financial philosophy then following the Kirk Cousins model. 

Also, Dak is coming off of an injury.  Wouldn't that make playing on a one year deal (franchise tag) even scarier?  He just played on a low end deal last year, while Goff and Wentz got paid huge deals.  How much longer is Dak willing to not get paid? 

32 minutes ago, showtime said:

Also, Dak is coming off of an injury.  Wouldn't that make playing on a one year deal (franchise tag) even scarier?  He just played on a low end deal last year, while Goff and Wentz got paid huge deals.  How much longer is Dak willing to not get paid? 

Hopefully not at all.

26.9M is the projected FT number for QB in 2020. Averages out to $1.68M per game. He could sit out the first 10 gms, Yes costing him short term $16.8M but still make $10M and accrue a season.

That's almost 15x his 2019 salary 700K from last year!! He holds all the leverage if Jerry wants to be a prick and go the FT route. Also dont think for a second the Media or his teammates would blame him in the slightest if he did, given the example he set last year saying and doing all the right things for "said contract".

Jerry created this mess by hard balling him with the "Dallas Discount BS" pre Goff/Wentz Contracts. Suck it up buttercup, cut your losses and pay the piper for your Stupidity!🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

20 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I doubt it especially with the question mark at QB.

I dont think we let him leave for nothing. If he does leave, it will be in a tag and trade scenario imo. The same as Clark and Ford, last season. Other than Mahomes (who will be ridiculously expensive), all of our key guys are already locked up long term. We can just about afford to pay Jones, if we want to.

19 minutes ago, kempus said:

I dont think we let him leave for nothing. If he does leave, it will be in a tag and trade scenario imo. The same as Clark and Ford, last season. Other than Mahomes (who will be ridiculously expensive), all of our key guys are already locked up long term. We can just about afford to pay Jones, if we want to.

Is there a legit change that could happen? How is your cap?

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is there a legit change that could happen? How is your cap?

$16 mill before cutting Watkins and adding another $14 mill. If we do the Mahomes extension this offseason, we probably cant afford Jones. Either way, I dont see any way Jones leaves for nothing.

20 minutes ago, kempus said:

$16 mill before cutting Watkins and adding another $14 mill. If we do the Mahomes extension this offseason, we probably cant afford Jones. Either way, I dont see any way Jones leaves for nothing.

The nice thing is that the tag and trade thing has really started to take off, so I agree with you there. It's unfortunate though; Jones is an animal