Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't understand why more teams don't use this. What's the downside?

Can't imagine the player or agent like it too much.  Do it often and you'd probably get a reputation for being player un-friendly, which might make agents steer their players away in FA where possible

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, seminoles1 said:

I don't understand why more teams don't use this. What's the downside?

I've never heard of this provision before. Definitely looks team-friendly. Only downsides I see is that now if you're the Giants, until the situation resolves itself you do have to make sure you have at least $4 million in cap space reserved for Golden if he doesn't sign with anyone else between now and July, so it somewhat restricts what you can do in the FA market in the meantime. 

Beyond that, there's maybe a little bit of a tradeoff here in terms of how this impacts his market with other teams. It helps the Giants and potentially dissuades other teams because he remains a factor in the comp pick formula, but it also becomes easier for other teams to get him for a lower salary because they know that if he doesn't take their offers, he has to play on a 1 year, $4 million contract. So if he had been asking for $7-8 million from other teams, he now no longer has any leverage to get more than around $4-5 million per, so in a sense the tag is also working against the Giants if they actually want to retain him and helping erstwhile rivals. Definitely screws Golden either way, though. 

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

How does this work what's the salary and if team signs him do they need to trade a pick to the Giants? 

full details from OTC here
it basically allows NYG to keep him in their compensatory calculation IF he doesn't find work by 7/22
It also means he reverts to NYG at 110 % of his salary IF he doesn't find work by 7/22
between now and 7/22, he's a normal FA

https://overthecap.com/giants-tender-markus-golden/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That'd be so so bad on their part.

The Conner thing is whatever. He's a replaceable part. Jjss could at least have trade value. Villanueva is 32, so I kind of get it, but he has a couple of years left. Not unusual for tackles to play well enough into their mid 30s

59 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

But why Juju? Isn’t he very good and very young?

I think that Amari Cooper extension is going to have a lot of WRs looking for huge dollars... Juju is on that same level IMO, and that sort of deal is just nothing you'd want to commit to in a rebuild.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pitt would be smart to blow it up after this year. 

But why Juju? Isn’t he very good and very young?

Because like every WR before him he's looking to out do the rest. Amari just got 20M, what do you think Ju Ju will want?