Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

On 5/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, BleedTheClock said:

The Jets had an excellent off-season IMO. I think they do a lot of damage this year. Maybe even win the division. 

They did pretty good in the draft, but I think they really screwed the pooch by not getting Darnold more weapons. RBs look meh unless Bell turns it around, tackles are weak unless Becton is ready, interior O-line has question marks though they do have a good C, and the WR core is bad unless Mims comes in and produces right off the bat. Too many question marks, and really just an awful scenario for Darnold once again.

Their defense should be top-10, but they have weaknesses there, too. The pass rush didn't get addressed, and they still don't have a true #1 CB.  I really like their defensive coordinator, tho. He'll get the most out of that group. 

They also have Gase- who doesn't inspire any confidence in me. They lost against some trash teams even with Darnold- MIA, CIN, and JAX while barely beating MIA (due to a trash call) and Buffalo's 2nd/3rd stringers (only putting up 13 pts, yikes). To me- that's a sign of bad coaching- when you lose against bad teams consistently. Injuries are a poor excuse when you lose against **** teams. 

Buffalo has a much better roster all around and proven coaching. Pats have a worse roster, but one of the best HC's ever. MIA is similar to the Jets talent wise; strong in some areas, but weak in others. I like MIA's coaching better, but they'll be close. I think the Jets will finish any where from 6-8 wins. Buffalo should win the division unless Allen regresses, which is def possible. If that happens, then you may see an 8 win team take the division. 

I will say, I like Joe Douglas. I think he's the most competent GM they've had in a while. They just had a lot of holes to fill this year, and Gase is, imo, a bad coach which may cost Douglas his job, though I can't fault him for keeping him around- very few young QBs can survive switching systems early in their development. 

Edited by WizeGuy

35 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

They did pretty good in the draft, but I think they really screwed the pooch by not getting Darnold more weapons. RBs look meh unless Bell turns it around, tackles are weak unless Becton is ready, interior O-line has question marks though they do have a good C, and the WR core is bad unless Mims comes in and produces right off the bat. Too many question marks, and really just an awful scenario for Darnold once again.

Their defense should be top-10, but they have weaknesses there, too. The pass rush didn't get addressed, and they still don't have a true #1 CB.  I really like their defensive coordinator, tho. He'll get the most out of that group. 

Dude, wtf are you even talking about?  They addressed literally all of those positions in the draft.  You criticize them for not getting more weapons, but they drafted a first round graded receiver, a RB, took an OT and an OG with huge upside (and a good OL coach), a super athletic twitchy EDGE in Zuniga, and a steal at CB with Hall.  I don't see how they could have possibly addressed what you call their weaknesses more effectively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

/Dude, wtf are you even talking about?  They addressed literally all of those positions in the draft.  You criticize them for not getting more weapons, but they drafted a first round graded receiver, a RB, took an OT and an OG with huge upside (and a good OL coach), a super athletic twitchy EDGE in Zuniga, and a steal at CB with Hall.  I don't see how they could have possibly addressed what you call their weaknesses more effectively.

I agree. I thought they had an excellent draft. The only draft pick I did't like was the RB Perine. I thought there were better players available, but he's a backup.

And Le'Veon Bell was good last year. The rest of that offense was an abysmal trainwreck, that's why his numbers were down. And this is coming from someone who HATES the Jets and HATES Le'Veon Bell.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dude, wtf are you even talking about?  They addressed literally all of those positions in the draft.  You criticize them for not getting more weapons, but they drafted a first round graded receiver, a RB, took an OT and an OG with huge upside (and a good OL coach), a super athletic twitchy EDGE in Zuniga, and a steal at CB with Hall.  I don't see how they could have possibly addressed what you call their weaknesses more effectively.

Relax, my man. I even said "I will say, I like Joe Douglas. I think he's the most competent GM they've had in a while. They just had a lot of holes to fill this year". So yes, you did try to plug in some holes via draft, which i never disputed. The Jets had a good draft. That being said, a lot of those picks aren't going to come to fruition overnight and some, dare I say it- will bust. 

Becton is high risk/high reward player, but many would agree that he's still raw. Who's your other tackle? Again, I said interior line has question marks, but there's potential. Zuniga could become a nice piece, but he's a third round DE, so let's keep things in perspective- y'all still lack depth and impact players on the edge. Perine is meh; could be good catching out of the backfield. 

Mims has potential, but let's not forget he's filling in for Robby. It's unlikely he'll produce much more than Anderson did last season, so you gained a weapon and lost a weapon. I like Hall, but again, I said a #1 CB, which he is not (at least yet)- and most top tier defenses have a lock down corner. 

Jets look to me to be a team with a top-10 defense, a mediocre offense, and a bad head coach, which screams 6-8 wins. Of course, maybe everything will align perfectly- color me skeptical. 

Edited by WizeGuy

42 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

So yes, you did try to plug in some holes via draft, which i never disputed. The Jets had a good draft. That being said, a lot of those picks aren't going to come to fruition overnight and some, dare I say it- will bust. 

Yeah, except that's not what you said.  You said they didn't give Darnold more weapons (which they did) or address the pass rush (which they did).

Question the all-upside draft if you want, but don't say that they didn't address their needs.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree. I thought they had an excellent draft. The only draft pick I did't like was the RB Perine. I thought there were better players available, but he's a backup.

And Le'Veon Bell was good last year. The rest of that offense was an abysmal trainwreck, that's why his numbers were down. And this is coming from someone who HATES the Jets and HATES Le'Veon Bell.

I think Frank Gore is an underrated signing too (imagine that). He landed in a good situation in New York as he doesn't have to carry the load and I really think he'll be the perfect spell back for Bell. I know he's 37 years old, but what has made Franky good throughout his career is not his speed or other things that may start to wane with age. He runs behind his pads very well and has excellent vision, not to mention he's probably still one of the best pass-pro backs in the NFL. 

43 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, except that's not what you said.  You said they didn't give Darnold more weapons (which they did) or address the pass rush (which they did).

Question the all-upside draft if you want, but don't say that they didn't address their needs.

I said "...they really screwed the pooch by not giving Darnold more weapons" implying they didn't do enough, not that they didn't add bodies. Mims for Robby is a wash, and Perriman and Perine isn't exactly inspiring.

I shouldn't have put an absolute on 'addressing' the pass rush, which, btw, is the only area I said they didn't address in my OP. I forget sometimes I'm posting on an internet forum where people live or die on the hill of 'semantics', haha. I should have added "nearly enough" at the end of that sentence. Better? 

Edited by WizeGuy

15 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think Frank Gore is an underrated signing too (imagine that). He landed in a good situation in New York as he doesn't have to carry the load and I really think he'll be the perfect spell back for Bell. I know he's 37 years old, but what has made Franky good throughout his career is not his speed or other things that may start to wane with age. He runs behind his pads very well and has excellent vision, not to mention he's probably still one of the best pass-pro backs in the NFL. 

Nah, he's done. He was trash to end the year last year. He's a great locker room presence, tho- and may provide some insight on the Bills offensive schemes. 

Edited by WizeGuy

6 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

They also have Gase- who doesn't inspire any confidence in me. They lost against some trash teams even with Darnold- MIA, CIN, and JAX while barely beating MIA (due to a trash call) and Buffalo's 2nd/3rd stringers (only putting up 13 pts, yikes). To me- that's a sign of bad coaching- when you lose against bad teams consistently. Injuries are a poor excuse when you lose against **** teams. 

Buffalo has a much better roster all around and proven coaching. Pats have a worse roster, but one of the best HC's ever. MIA is similar to the Jets talent wise; strong in some areas, but weak in others. I like MIA's coaching better, but they'll be close. I think the Jets will finish any where from 6-8 wins. Buffalo should win the division unless Allen regresses, which is def possible. If that happens, then you may see an 8 win team take the division. 

I will say, I like Joe Douglas. I think he's the most competent GM they've had in a while. They just had a lot of holes to fill this year, and Gase is, imo, a bad coach which may cost Douglas his job, though I can't fault him for keeping him around- very few young QBs can survive switching systems early in their development. 

It's all about putting things into context: I don't think it's fair to say they "Screwed the pooch" in reference to adding more weapons when you consider what was available. Who would you've added? Believe me, I'd like to give Sam more options but Douglas did the best with the cards he was dealt. The return of Chris Herndon should be a huge addition and despite poor statistics, Bell was still very effect running behind an abysmal OL - Which has been entirely revamped and should be at least competent this season (A massive upgrade from last year).

On 5/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, BleedTheClock said:

The Jets had an excellent off-season IMO. I think they do a lot of damage this year. Maybe even win the division. 

What's funny is what the Jets have done is oddly similar to what the Bills did last off-season. People overlooked the Bills because of a lack of splashy signings but were quick to applaud the front office when it was all said and done. Douglas was methodical in his approach and really upgraded the roster from top to bottom without grabbing headlines. The team is significantly better, but most people can't look past the negative stigma surrounding the organization. 

I think the division is up for grabs: Buffalo is deservedly the favorite and has the best roster, but I'm betting on Darnold being the best QB. People tend to look past the terrible situation Sam was thrown into and just forget how talented he is - Relying on box scores rather than tape. Todd McShay recently said, "In my opinion, Sam Darnold can be one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL if he gets some protection.... I just think he's special." We should finally have at least adequate protection and I think you'll see a huge leap because of it. 

The Jets did well in their moves inside the draft, starting with the trade back in round 2. They could have picked TRevon Diggs or Jaylon Johnson and received applaus. Instead, the traded back 11 picks and gat the very nice pick of Denzel Mims. If Mims had been gone, the board would still contain Ezra Cleveland, Josh Uche, Kristian Fulton, and whomever did not get picked when Mims did. It's a talent rich slice of the draft.

In addition, they traded back again and obtained two picks, interestingly from the Patriots. New England selected TE Dalton Keene, rather early by most lists. The Jets received picks used for QB James Morgan and OL Cameron Clark. So, they drafted Mims, Morgan and Clark with their second round pick. Not bad. Mims alone would have been better than decent. 

J